Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head/Cam swap tomorrow....WISH ME LUCK!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 12:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jocko
quick question since we are on the topic,is it ok to drive it around with no tune as long as you don't race it?
I think it should be fine. My cam is kinda big and isnt too bad right now without the tune. It does buck some down low in the rpm's and sometimes will idle low when coming to a stop light.
So driving around without a tune with be ok, i think just getting it tuned is better for the car and also makes it a little better and funner to drive
Old 09-11-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a tune and strap her to the dyno. I am very excited to see how much power the g5x4 cam is going to make with your (slightly restrictive) setup.

When money is good for you and you are accusutomed to your power level then you will be able to grow. IE Ported FAST setup, ud pully, Meziere ewp. The last two will really improve your gas mileage more then your horsepower. At least they did for me.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was always told not to drive around untuned with new injectors.

Congrats on a great job
Old 09-11-2008, 02:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
I was always told not to drive around untuned with new injectors.

Congrats on a great job
Yeah when i put those 42# on it was sputtering and bogs when i gave it gas. I switched it back to the stocks for now and is much better. When i go get it tuned i'll put the 42's back on
Old 09-12-2008, 05:00 PM
11 Second Club

Here is a video clip! Let me know what you think.
Car is Un-Tuned!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt04agwCPH0
Old 09-12-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tnmotown
Here is a video clip! Let me know what you think.
Car is Un-Tuned!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt04agwCPH0
Awesome dude! Sounds fast. These cars are fun.

I noticed you're from CA, will you have any problems passing inspection, or you know someone?

I finally got my heads torqued down, rockers installed, PS pump and water pump installed. Next I need to install my UD pulley, AR headers, manifold, and button up. Two more days for me. Congrats again!
Old 09-13-2008, 02:53 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Predator
Awesome dude! Sounds fast. These cars are fun.

I noticed you're from CA, will you have any problems passing inspection, or you know someone?

I finally got my heads torqued down, rockers installed, PS pump and water pump installed. Next I need to install my UD pulley, AR headers, manifold, and button up. Two more days for me. Congrats again!
Yeah i hate smog, but it shouldnt be a problem

Thanks i can tell the car wants to be unleashed but really dont want to smash on it until i get it tuned.

Your right there on your install. You'll be up and running in no time. Good luck with yours and keep us posted.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tnmotown
Yeah i hate smog, but it shouldnt be a problem

Thanks i can tell the car wants to be unleashed but really dont want to smash on it until i get it tuned.

Your right there on your install. You'll be up and running in no time. Good luck with yours and keep us posted.
Yeah, your car sounds great. That's smart to wait on a tune before stepping on it. Is your T/A pewter or gold? It looked gold in the vid. If so that's a very rare color. Very nice!

You work at a dealership don't you? I guess getting a sticker shouldn't be a problem.

I got everything installed now except the headers and y-pipe which I'll do Monday with a bud to help out. You were right, it was a lot easier after getting the gasket residue and bolt holes cleaned. I'm glad I took extra care there. Torqueing the heads down was easier than removing the heads I thought. I feel kind of sad that I'm almost done with the install because I was having fun. Really, I'm at about the end-of-the-line as far as installs go. I've done everything except a blower or turbo and a clutch job. It's taken me eight years to reach this point though. I always wanted a naturally aspirated car so I guess I'm done. I still have tuning to look forward to, then I'm really done and can start enjoying my car.

Nice talking to you, and have some fun!

Last edited by Predator; 09-14-2008 at 07:49 AM.