Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Main Bearing Direction

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Main Bearing Direction

I just wanted to make sure the following is INCORRECT when it comes to the locks on the main bearings. They should be offset right?

Old 09-08-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Regular

TTT...come on now some engine builder MUST know...
Old 09-09-2008, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes the pic is not the correct way. The notch has to be on the same side like beside it, not in line with it
Old 09-09-2008, 12:34 AM
TECH Regular

Right, so all I would have to do is turn the main cap around and it would be in the correct spot? That way each side of the bearings have a notch. The block side notch should be opposite the main cap notch. So one notch is on the left side and the other is on the right side. I don't think the notches should or even can be on the same side and offset due to their design.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes, they need to be side by side on the same end.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

So it should be like this then?

Old 09-09-2008, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

No, both notches should be on the same side... just not connecting.. They should be side by side...
Old 09-09-2008, 02:18 PM
TECH Regular

How can the notches be on the same side? It's impossible. Even if the bearings themselves were turned around, these clevites were designed differently then I think than standard bearings. There is no way for the bearings to have the notches on the same side opposite each other.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:35 AM
TECH Regular

TTT for the night...
Old 09-10-2008, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's strange. Every engine I have put togethor has had the notch on the same side, side be side. If in fact they really are designed differant then I would think it would be ok just as long as the notches are NOT aligned with each other. The bearing could spin if it was like that. The thing I don't like about that is that I believe the rod cap should always be put back on the same direction as it came off. Try posting this on the corvette forum in the C5 Tech, there is alot of engine builders over there
Old 09-10-2008, 01:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Arrow

On an LS1 if you have the tangs on the same side you have the main caps on backward.

On the regular SBC main caps the tangs are on the same side though but again not on the LS1.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:12 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Halloran
I just wanted to make sure the following is INCORRECT when it comes to the locks on the main bearings. They should be offset right?

Actually that is the CORRECT way.

Sorry I just saw this 5 minutes ago.

The LS1 is different from other american V8 engines though as most are on the same side but staggered like the guys above were thinking.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:30 AM
TECH Regular

The only way to get the tangs to face each other on the same side is if the main cap is installed the wrong way. With the main caps installed correctly the notches become offset where the bottom bearing ring is on the right side and the top main cap bearing is on the left side offset. I think I will call TSP or Ligenfelter tomorrow and get their input on this.

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2008, 03:14 AM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

TTT...come on now some engine builder MUST know...
The only way to get the tangs to face each other on the same side is if the main cap is installed the wrong way. With the main caps installed correctly the notches become offset where the bottom bearing ring is on the right side and the top main cap bearing is on the left side offset. I think I will call TSP or Ligenfelter tomorrow and get their input on this.

Thanks!

You had them right in the first picture! What part don't you understand?

On the front and rear caps there are tangs on both sides but the tangs are again opposite side from each other if you do everything right. On the middle three caps the tangs are on opposite sides no matter what or your caps are on backwards. I'm looking at one of about 50 blocks I have and I have built hundreds. You asked for a real engine builder to post something and now you still aren't sure? You can see on the sides of your block if the caps are on right.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:39 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Erik (racer7088) is correct, Nick!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 09-10-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by racer7088
You had them right in the first picture! What part don't you understand?

On the front and rear caps there are tangs on both sides but the tangs are again opposite side from each other if you do everything right. On the middle three caps the tangs are on opposite sides no matter what or your caps are on backwards. I'm looking at one of about 50 blocks I have and I have built hundreds. You asked for a real engine builder to post something and now you still aren't sure? You can see on the sides of your block if the caps are on right.
In the first picture I posted the tangs are on the same side and not on opposite sides. I just want to make sure my main bearings weren't installed incorrectly, I've already had this machine shop line hone my block with the caps out of order. If the bearings are supposed to have the tangs offset and NOT in line with each other then I am fine. If each main bearing is supposed to have the notches in line with each other then I need to have them turn my main bearings around.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:58 AM
FormerVendor

Arrow

In the first picture I posted the tangs are on the same side and not on opposite sides. I just want to make sure my main bearings weren't installed incorrectly, I've already had this machine shop line hone my block with the caps out of order. If the bearings are supposed to have the tangs offset and NOT in line with each other then I am fine. If each main bearing is supposed to have the notches in line with each other then I need to have them turn my main bearings around.
Damn, I am logged on remotely and can't see that picture as good as I thought! You are right that the first picture is WRONG and the second one is CORRECT. I am looking at the small thumbnail and in only 256 colors on the POS computer I am on right now.

If the machine shop line honed the block with the caps on backwards and it is actually round again now then you will have to run the caps backwards but most of the time the shop will see that they are on wrong. Usually the main bores are also offset at the main caps parting line when you turn the caps backwards so if the shop is using a dial bore guage they will realize they are on wrong.

If they machined and line honed them out of order you need a new shop as GM even numbers the main caps right from the factory!
Old 09-10-2008, 11:06 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We just spoke on the phone and got it cleared up.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 09-10-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

Yes, thank so much guys! I really didn't want to come off like an a$$hole but I've really had too many set backs at this point. I want to make damn sure everything is correct. All my bearing clearances are .002 - .0022 with the caps in the correct order. Thanks again Erik and Matt for helping me clear this up. From what Matt told me is that the thrust bearing has have offset notches but the rest of the bearings it's irrelevant whether or not the notches are in line or offset but it's best to keep them all universal. So keeping them all offset is the way to go

Quick Reply: Main Bearing Direction