Sponsored by:

¿#&$F$&# Morel lifters = Hogwash?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 10:59 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Antonio de Armas
"Morel lifters are unlike any lifters you've ever seen before. The lifter body is fully machined from alloy steel bar stock, not a casting like OEM lifters. The nose wheel is machined from 8620 material and case hardened for durability. Inside diameter and outside diameter grinding tolerance is held to .0003” +/-. Morel lifters use stock OEM lifter guides and are capable of cam lifts up to .675” w/1.7 rockers (.395 lobe lift). Morel's proprietary hydraulic valving is designed for sustained high rpm levels commonly seen in performance applications."

What a big amount of hogwash! They are also Lunati, and maybe Crane, Manley, TrickFlow, Comp, so on and so forth along the line. If anyone knows more on the subject, please post right here so we all get to know the real story behind Morels and pricing. For all I know now I would not doubt if told they come right out of China!!
Are you reading what you are writing because half is not really understandable? Morel lifters ARE exactly what that paragraph is saying and SOME of those lifters you are talking about ARE Morel lifters like the very expensive Isky or the also very expensive Lunati.

Comp and Crane and TFS don't have that lifter and they are not the same. I don't even think Manley makes hydraulic roller lifters?

The Morel lifter you are talking about is 100% American made and like was said above is made in Cleveland Ohio by Gear Company of America not in China.

I wouldn't worry about it at all Antonio because you didn't get ripped off and you got those lifters for a better price than any retail outlet or other brand name sells them for that I have seen.

Morel also just raised their prices on that lifter by almost 50.00 so your deal is not a bad one at all and those are great lifters even if your's came in an Isky or Lunati box.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:01 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's the million dollar question though....

What gains are you getting by paying upwards of $500 for a set of lifters compared to ls7 or cadillac race lifters? Are they that much better in being able to sustain high rpms compared to factory lifters?

I'm going to need to replace my lifters in the near future, mainly as a precautionary measure as they have almost 50k miles of cam life, so I figured I'd do the lifters and valve springs at the same time. I usually shift at 6800, so higher than stock rpm stability is important to me.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Here's the million dollar question though....

What gains are you getting by paying upwards of $500 for a set of lifters compared to ls7 or cadillac race lifters? Are they that much better in being able to sustain high rpms compared to factory lifters?

I'm going to need to replace my lifters in the near future, mainly as a precautionary measure as they have almost 50k miles of cam life, so I figured I'd do the lifters and valve springs at the same time. I usually shift at 6800, so higher than stock rpm stability is important to me.
Several gains in my opinion. First, the body is more stable as the oil pressures in the lower lifter body cycles at very high pressures (10's of thousands of PSI). Second, the lifter is designed to sit lower in the bore such that higher lifts will not cause oiling issues. Third, the materials used are much better (the steels). They handle higher spring loads better and sustained high RPM better.

If you look at the offshore racing web sites, you will find most using a Morel or the newer Crane lifter. These engines are very hard on internal components, by comparison, an engine in a car has it easy.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:18 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks. I guess for a road race setup where you're spending a long time from 4000-7000 rpms these would be a neccesary upgrade.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In addition you can use the link bar lifters for even better reliability.
One more thing.., look at all the issues brought on by people using the caddy lifters.

Quick Reply: ¿#&$F$&# Morel lifters = Hogwash?