Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Actual cost of stroking stock LS1 to 383

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 08:42 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ItsNotStock
I wouldn't waste your time arguing with 99blanco. I've tried that before. He's more of a salesman than an engine builder so he doesn't appreciate innovation and getting your hands dirty. He would rather make a profit.

But to tie everything together so it's back on topic: If you have the know how, and the patience to build your own engine. Yes you will save alot of money. And you will have the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself. "Built, not bought." On the other hand if you don't have the patience, and loads of money-Then go with a sponsor.

LMAO!!
I dont make much money at all on them, maybe I just dont argue with people when I see it's useless. I try and point people in the right direction to make the best decision for their money. If that is in disagreement with you thats not to say I'm looking to make a profit but rather have seen both sides of the coin and dont agree with you.

Built not bought is a stupid internet term that some people use to justfiy not having a decent enough budget to work with. People have to do what they have to do but don't confuse that with it being a better way or me trying to make a profit if its not the direction I would go it.

As far as innovation and getting my hands dirty your clueless. I do all my own work most of the time and have a 79 z28 resto project on my hands right now as well as my 99 SS in the middle of an engine swap.

I only sell what I would use. That means you suggested something I wouldnt do then you think that means I'm looking to make a profit??
Ya ok, thats a huge stretch and cynical view and its yours but its very innacurate about me.

I spend hours on the phone with people who aren't buying anything from me but are looking for my experience and advise. I drove 86 miles on easter Sunday to help a fellow techie out who I didnt know at all. He posted a desperation thread and offered way to much money. I took 5 for gas and told him to keep the rest.

You don't have a clue about me at all or my motivation to be in business so save your bullshit.
I offer the best deal on MSD and NGK on the planet and then go so far as to gauranty my wires for life when I dont need to for them to sell.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 10-21-2008 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:48 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I understand the satisfaction that comes from doing something yourself rather than paying for it. But from reading the thread from Weber racing engines about all the details and machining involved in putting a shortblock together, and all of the critical measurements that's involved like bearing clearances, I'd rather pay someone to do it right, than to build it myself, save $1000, but then have issues with performance and reliability. Look at that thread and the issues they encountered with a fresh GM crate engine. The engine straight from GM was out of specs on some of the critical measurements.

It's like building a house. Do I have the ability to build a house, yes, but would I do it myself, probably not. And even the guy who you pay to build your house is going to subcontract out stuff that he can have an expert do.

Sorry, having someone build a shortblock for you doesn't make you less of a man or not have the ability to say, I built this. Hell, Nascar teams buy complete engines from other teams, does that make them less of a raceteam? No, it just means they are smart enough to go to someone who can do it better than them.

Now, would I buy a fully machined, balanced rotating assembly and then do the final build and install myself, hell yes because that is less technical and doesn't require a room full of equipment to do.

Hell, GM doesn't even build everything themselves, it's called subcontracting.

My guess is these two clowns don't have clue on this board who builds their own and who doesnt. I subcontract from who I think is the best builder and I advertise it. No one mentioned except for two so far in this thread builds their own. I use one builder exclusively for a reason.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand the satisfaction that comes from doing something yourself rather than paying for it. But from reading the thread from Weber racing engines about all the details and machining involved in putting a shortblock together, and all of the critical measurements that's involved like bearing clearances, I'd rather pay someone to do it right, than to build it myself, save $1000, but then have issues with performance and reliability. Look at that thread and the issues they encountered with a fresh GM crate engine. The engine straight from GM was out of specs on some of the critical measurements.

It's like building a house. Do I have the ability to build a house, yes, but would I do it myself, probably not. And even the guy who you pay to build your house is going to subcontract out stuff that he can have an expert do.

Sorry, having someone build a shortblock for you doesn't make you less of a man or not have the ability to say, I built this. Hell, Nascar teams buy complete engines from other teams, does that make them less of a raceteam? No, it just means they are smart enough to go to someone who can do it better than them.

Now, would I buy a fully machined, balanced rotating assembly and then do the final build and install myself, hell yes because that is less technical and doesn't require a room full of equipment to do.

Have you ever heard of the term old iron. after a block has been used, it warps slighly. when you machine in it will stay truer than a new block.as far as balancing goes, i have seen kits from lunati, scat, eagle supposidly say they were balanced. when i checked them and had to re-balance them, they came out looking like swiss cheese. and thats no to say that the bearing clearance is even close. clenliness is key i may be young as you see in my profile, but i have never had a return and when i walk down the street i can hold my head high and when i go to bed at night i sleep well. its like people think machinists one see one brand of engine lsx, they see all diesle to briggs&straton.

Last edited by novaflash2002; 10-21-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:35 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by novaflash2002
Have you ever heard of the term old iron. after a block has been used, it warps slighly. when you machine in it will stay truer than a new block.as far as balancing goes, i have seen kits from lunati, scat, eagle supposidly say they were balanced. when i checked them and had to re-balance them, they came out looking like swiss cheese. and thats no to say that the bearing clearance is even close. clenliness is key i may be young as you see in my profile, but i have never had a return and when i walk down the street i can hold my head high and when i go to bed at night i sleep well. its like people think machinists one see one brand of engine lsx, they see all diesle to briggs&straton.
I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me. In my mind, it's not like buying a set of heads that can be just bolted on and run.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Those are great prices from sponsors, I will be buildling my own engine when my car is ready for one. I have never done a car engine before but have rebuilt lawn mower engines. Not the same, but the same concept. I will do thorough research and use books to guide me. I am the kind of person that needs to do it myself so if I screw up I'm the only one to blame.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what i am gettin at the alchemst, is that eninge blocks warp in time. when you re-build a used block it is done warping. so if you have to line hone it, or torqu-plate hone it, or surface the deck it will be done. but that only works if you dont get it hot. i dont know meant about the gm performance engines, and what you weant by critical measurements, is it rods mains pistons warped heads block.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, very well said. I could probably do it too, but after doing EVERYTHING else on my car I can drop the pride knowing a professional built it. I'm screwed either way because I don't have the money or experience! lol
Old 10-21-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it look like GR8Game is looking to build his own engine. he can correct me if i am wrong. it look like he wasnt to buil one and not buy a assembiled on. he was asking for a approx cost. i did this for him who else has mor info on one he can BUILD, not buy assembiled
Old 10-21-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon5212
Those are great prices from sponsors, I will be buildling my own engine when my car is ready for one. I have never done a car engine before but have rebuilt lawn mower engines. Not the same, but the same concept. I will do thorough research and use books to guide me. I am the kind of person that needs to do it myself so if I screw up I'm the only one to blame.

Same here. I want to have the experience of putting everything together - probably half the fun of things. This doesn't mean I will skimp on the machine work though.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i told some aprox prices of what i have researched and found on page two of this thread. if u have q's pm me ill gladly help you out. a good machinist will have a good word of mouth. research, see how many years they have been in the bizz. talk to your local racers, and see who they have their machine work done.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey cheach this out it prove my prices were right on

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale/1006121-408-components.html

divide by 3 that 450 each
Old 10-23-2008, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

So its not A good idea to build a 383 stroker? I was going to What are the hp gains with all supporting mods and bolt ons can be expected from the 383 stroker? I was really looking foward to build one that would be perfect for my ls1 s10 swap im doing.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jon5212

I like doing this myself as well. My T/A is a daily driver for now, but when I save up, I'll work on it then and drive my sand rail. I built a 67 400 for an 80 firebird I had. I learned a ton and did alot of research and paid for the better parts I wanted. That motor screamed with a stock Q-jet on it for a year. When I went back to school, my parents pushed it outside and were not smart rnough to know the shaker was out of it and the open carb was left to the rain. I ran it a bit more and then tore it all to pieces and let it sit in their garage for years lol.
I don't do it just to save money, I like wrenching as a hobby and it gived you a base to stand on when arguements fly up about bolting on ls2 parts vs matched aftermarket parts,
Old 10-23-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

its alright to build a 383, but the saying goes "there in no replacement for dispacement". and when some smart *** says yea there is nos, turbo, supercharger. just think if you did that and added all of that
Old 10-23-2008, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

I plan on running nitrous.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
370 was favored because it was cheaper to build. Bigger is always better and will make more power.
Depends on what you want, if your going for over 1000 hp then yea.. There's guys all over the country getting 7-800 hp out of the 5.3l lm7 truck engines. Bigger isn't necessarily better in all cases, but yes the power definitely comes!
Old 12-10-2015, 08:16 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Lininger9
Depends on what you want, if your going for over 1000 hp then yea.. There's guys all over the country getting 7-800 hp out of the 5.3l lm7 truck engines. Bigger isn't necessarily better in all cases, but yes the power definitely comes!
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Don't be this guy. Check the dates before you post. Thank you.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

I agree with Redline. Never know what you're getting out there.
Personally, I don't trust anyone but myself to build my engines. But that's me.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 248 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Don't be this guy. Check the dates before you post. Thank you.
Everyone's made that mistake once.

But yes, it is annoying to get halfway through a thread, begin to reply to someone, and then realize the conversation happened seven years ago.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Holy shneikees.

Quick Reply: Actual cost of stroking stock LS1 to 383