Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bleeding Cooling system..

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 03:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bleeding Cooling system..

Well I went to bleed my new setup today (5.3 heads, 228/232 cam and 92/92) anyways I have a new 160 stat on there

I filled up the radiator with dex cool and let the car heat up to half... then alittle over half and it didnt take any of the coolant in.... bad stat or am i doing this wrong??
Old 09-27-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

was there any left over coolant in the block from before?
Old 09-27-2008, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Grimes
was there any left over coolant in the block from before?
i opened the driver side plug but the pass side wanted to start stripping so i left it.. thats all the coolant that was left in it (not much im sure)

the waterpump was good before, wasn't weeping and its spinning now.. no coolant leaks anywhere.. inlet tube isnt getting too hot and the other hose isnt hot at all when she's at 210
Old 09-27-2008, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The 2 times I have removed my engine it has been the most picky engine I've ever worked on to bleed. What i do is start the car with the radiator cap off and pump the big hose going from the bottom of the radiator to the water pump. you should see the water moving up and down in the radiator.make sure the water level stayes at the top or the radiator. Then before the engine gets too hot I put the cap back on and let engine get to 230/240deg when it gets close to lighting up the check gauge light I shut it off and and rap a towel around the radiator cap and slowly open it to let out all the air that has built up pressure. Most of the time the air will burp out allowing me to add more coolant. Once the engine cools start it up with the cap off again and pump the lines some more. I'll repeat this several times untill the car stops over heating. Also turn the heat on in the car it will stay cold untill most of the air is out and then it will start to blow hot air.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by conan
The 2 times I have removed my engine it has been the most picky engine I've ever worked on to bleed. What i do is start the car with the radiator cap off and pump the big hose going from the bottom of the radiator to the water pump. you should see the water moving up and down in the radiator.make sure the water level stayes at the top or the radiator. Then before the engine gets too hot I put the cap back on and let engine get to 230/240deg when it gets close to lighting up the check gauge light I shut it off and and rap a towel around the radiator cap and slowly open it to let out all the air that has built up pressure. Most of the time the air will burp out allowing me to add more coolant. Once the engine cools start it up with the cap off again and pump the lines some more. I'll repeat this several times untill the car stops over heating. Also turn the heat on in the car it will stay cold untill most of the air is out and then it will start to blow hot air.

but did the radiator level go down around the half way mark initially like the stat was opening I really dont want to bust the stat off again but ima do what i have todo
Old 09-27-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ya the radiator level would drop a few times quite a bit after i would crack the cap and let out all air. Just keep the engine warm so the stat will open.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what ive done int he past is drilles 2 small 1/4 inch wholes in the side of the thermostat so ti will burp real easy and even if air is in the system the water pump will still circulate it out before it heats up.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:52 AM
TECH Addict

well tested the stat it opens @ 192... with my digital thermo on the stove...

its a 160 hypertech btw.. so it is opening just a little late.. i drained the radiator back into the jug and only got half so it is taking some just has a lot of air as stated... now i got bigger probs though the car has gas in the oil because its so damn hard to keep running due to being untuned (sometimes it will idle @ 800 for 10-15 mins then others it goes to 300 for a few seconds and dies)
Old 09-29-2008, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This tool does the trick every time first time. I use it on every car that comes through the shop. Just block the overflow, vacuum it, let it fill, put the cap back on. No drama.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu6cCcu...c20w%252E%252E

Quick Reply: Bleeding Cooling system..