Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

patriot heads package

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: patriot heads package

pacerx i guess youd rather spend 1100 for patriots and get 20 hp, instead of getting a set of 1600 dollar heads and get a minimum 40 hp. do a search and do the math. for 500 more you get twice the hp. well the guys who spent the extra 500 will see you in the rear view
Old 09-10-2003, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

I have patriot Heads and If I had to do it all over again I would buy the same thing... terry is a great guy and easy to deal with...
Old 09-10-2003, 11:11 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

I think we'd have better numbers if the PP heads were priced at $1600+. That way, the people who don't already have all the bolt-ons can finish the complete bolt-ons have a decent start on things before replacing heads. If someone doesn't dyno decent before the heads, they need to work on that first. Look at v8maro, the only mods I'm aware of are the actual heads and cam, how is that supposed to breathe with a LS1 intake and factory exhaust. I'm pretty sure if you look at the whole picture, there are others that are similiar, with a lack of mods.

We'll be running S3 PP heads on both Trevor's '02 SS and Jason's '98 Z28 before long. Neither will be dyno queens, but they will be track ******, so the new numbers will be quite interesting come this fall.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:11 PM
Restricted User

mikem.
1) either stop bashing or shut the f*ck up either way you wanna take it.

2) to pull 380 thru cats on a 224 is not low with A4, wake the f*ck up.

3) Be wise enough to know that just cuz one guy or several tried a particular head and cam combo out and got xxx hp doesnt mean every swinging dick is going to.

Terry, you have gone out of your way to correct the whole retianer/large spring issue and I hope you continue to offer an alternative to the LS1 market. As with any product the bashing is going to be there, some to justify why they spent so much money on a set of heads somewhere else, and some out of boredom and anything in between. Again, thanks for the outstanding service, and products.

No I dont have any heads yet, but when I do PP will be first on my list, followed by the desire to watch mike m blow his in tempertantrum.

Charlie
Old 09-10-2003, 11:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sscam68, its not only the valves were breaking, the springs, and the retainers not clearing, it is also low dyno #'s and horrible mph's at the track.
im sure these guys will post up there 2 cents. i do know patriot is doing great customer service and taking care of them. but i dont know what he can do about low hp.
The thing is they don't manufacture the valves or the springs. So how can you hold accountable someone for something they don't manufacture or have control over?

Avg power increase I have noticed with MOST heads is 20-30hp? At least for "one size fits all" heads. Mind you thats peak, that number can be VERY decieving. I personally would like to see avg dyno numbers from 2000rpm or 3000rpm-6000rpm. That would provide an OVERALL much BETTER picture of the improvements.

Secondly anytime you build or port a set of heads for a specific app. of course your going to see much better results. Which has been the case for certain setups.

I would personally really like to see what they can do with a TR224.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Listen, I think its wrong to bash patriot, he's new to the ls1 world and the performance industry. They offer a great price and customer service, I would just recomend to check over everything when installing them, there is or was some bugs to be worked out but hopefully they are all corrected now. I do feel that patriot should have done a lttle more r&d before hitting the market, obviously Terry thought he was offering a simple bolt on head with no headaces and didnt mean for the trouble but we have to remember he is new to the performance industry, his old and main bussiness alabama cylinder head is a cylinder head remanufacturer, after a few years in the perf. ind. Im sure he will get more respect
Old 09-10-2003, 11:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

We all know it's a good idea to check P to V when installing a good sized cam. If we skip checking that and P to V contact occurs, its on the installer for not checking P to V before slamming the cam in.

I think the rockers hitting the springs is the same sort of issue. After the heads are one and the rockers are installed, it seems reasonable to me to turn the motor over by hand and check for rocker clearance. I think most experienced installers thing about this and check it. I know SRP checked it with my set up. I agree ideally a heads up/reminder to check is a nice touch. I don't think Patriot totally at fault because the a good installer thinks to check for that sort of thing. I also see Terry standing behind his products at every turn. I know I've see a couple of BIG name sponsors that do all they can to avoid owning up.

If I get another set of heads SRP, Patriot, Absolute, JPR, LPE, Scoggin Dickey and SAM will all get considered.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Listen, I think its wrong to bash patriot,...I would just recomend to check over everything when installing them, there is or was some bugs to be worked out but hopefully they are all corrected now.
IMO, and it's always wise to that with any set of heads regardless of the source.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Listen, I think its wrong to bash patriot, he's new to the ls1 world and the performance industry. They offer a great price and customer service, I would just recomend to check over everything when installing them, there is or was some bugs to be worked out but hopefully they are all corrected now. I do feel that patriot should have done a lttle more r&d before hitting the market, obviously Terry thought he was offering a simple bolt on head with no headaces and didnt mean for the trouble but we have to remember he is new to the performance industry, his old and main bussiness alabama cylinder head is a cylinder head remanufacturer, after a few years in the perf. ind. Im sure he will get more respect
1ST

I am not new to the performance industry.I have beeen building engines for over 15 years (of all types).The parent company is new to performance,Patriot Performance was formed last year when I came on board full time.Do not try to paint a picture that I am learning as I go,THATS BULLSHIT.I also port heads for SB2 heads for an ARCA,Dirt Late Model engine builder.

2nd

I have never told anyone the heads are a simple bolt on with no headaches.Any time you modify a car there is potential headaches.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought one of the first sets of heads. I had the valve problem, Terry payed me to fix it and gave me free head gaskets. My rocker arms didnt clear I didnt check because I just didnt know to check for that this is the first engine I have ever realy "worked on" that was my fault. If I could go back I would still buy his heads wouldnt change a thing, Terry has more than earned my respect the way he has dealt with this.

My results
As soon as I finish my mod LSx intake, ported TB and ASP pully and get a little more traction I should go low 11's all day long. I have no dyno #'s I think there for ricers But did gain 3 tenths and 3mph bolting his heads on and going to the track with out tuning should be about 30rwhp.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

OK - my oppertunity to "chime in."

I am not disgruntled - but I can not say I am completely impressed either. So this will neither bash nor praise Patriot - it will be honest and fair. You make your own conclusions. Please understand - that I am not interested in revealing any deals between myself and Patriot as it only pertains to them and myself. But nothing was done or asked for that was out of the ordinary or excessive to either party. I am not looking to put any scrutiny on anyone.

I bought these heads about two months ago due to running into some motor problems that had me dropping the motor and removing the stock heads anyhow (busted cam and seized lifter). Since it was a last minute decision and I had my back against the wall with tying up my buddies shop - Terry/Hugh at Patriot got me a set of heads within a couple days. While making my decision - they entertained several phone calls and numerous questions about their product. I was extremely impressed with their presentation.

Heads arrived just when they said they would and we began putting them on early that week. One afternoon I came home and was heading out the door to my buddies house to finish up the install when I got the phone call about the valve issue. Patriot made me an offer to offset my troubles. At that point of the day I was unaware that my buddy had taken off work early and was nearly complete with the job and had already had the motor back in the car and was in the process of hooking up a few wires when I called him to tell him the bad news. There was about an hours worth of work left to do before we could have fired it up.

I immediately called Terry back and told him that what he originally offered wasnt acceptable cause the job was basically done and in sesne would have to be redone all over again (a whole new head swap). We discussed options over several phone calls between Terry, Hugh and I and by the following morning, we had worked out a deal that everyone was comfortable with and minimized any additional costs on my behalf. While I was very disappointed that the finish of my car would be delayed - I was appreciative of the immediate phone call made by Patriot to tell me about the potential problem. I rather be inconvenianced temporarly than be without a car due to a destroyed motor (for whatever reason).

Everything happend according to my discussions with Patriot and the car was finished the following weekend. Car drove great - car felt very strong and I was very impressed with their product. I even added a few things to compliment them (Shaner S2 TB, etc) and was looking forward to tuning my car to hit the track.

Then the issue of clearance popped up. First thing I did was pop the valve covers off and check and sure enough, I was experiencing the problem as well. I immediately jumped on the phone with Terry and talked it over. While I understand that PP owes me nothing for this issue - it was made very clear to me (as I asked MANY times) - that the only costs I would be incurring, save for the installation costs, was for their heads. I needed nothing else. It was made clear that it was a simple "take off part A - bolt on part B" deal. There was no mention of rocker/retainer clearance, etc., etc. I understand that checking these things is considered a norm - but that is only cause of my recent enlightment. I DID NOT know it then - and that is why I asked the question. I spoke to both Hugh and Terry sevral times before my purchase and expressed my reservation about these heads and was worried about the gamble I was taken and was repeaditly assured by both individuals.

My discussions with Terry on the clearance issue started off not so agreeingly but a satisfactory agreement was reached that cost wise, was fair to both parties. Again - Patriot held up to their end of the deal and came through with what they promised. I made the needed adjustments and was very happy with the results. My issue was eliminated.

That puts me where I am as of this moment. So far - two issues have arisen with Patriot that have been handled completely to my satisfaction when they could have easily turned their back on me cause they had their money. But since they are new to the game - I am accepting of the fact that there will be minor glitches that may present themselves and am willing to overlook some of them as long as things are resolved to my satisfaction. To this point - they have been. I only expect Patriot to be responsible for their product and be willing to resolve instances that arent fair to the consumer. So far they have been great.

I am still a little gun-shy about these heads and check every morning for any negative post about Patriot cause I am carrying around the feeling of "what next?" However, that is just me being me - I have a tendancy to be skeptical. To this point I am happy with the heads. I have major tuning that needs to happen yet I can still feel a very noticable gain in power over my cam only setup. I have played around on the street a few times and handed some fast cars their tails so I know the power is there.

As for would I buy them again - YES. While I have dropped a couple extra bucks than was originally planned - I am still happy with the results and most importantly - SHOULD something go wrong, I know someone will answer the phone at Patriots shop and be happy to make the situation right.

I cant say everything has been flawless - but some of that can be expected with a BRAND NEW product but whatever the reason has been for me to call Terry - I have always hung up the phone being satisfied and impressed. Him and Patriot have my respect and will continue to get my business and support.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:59 AM
11 Second Club

Ive heard good about Patriot Heads!!What are the specs on the heads-exhaust and intake #'s.

here are the flow numbers that came with my heads.

Lift__ In__ Ex
100__ 71___ 63
150__ 109__ 89
200__ 150__ 110
250__ 180__ 128
300__ 204__ 149
350__ 233__ 170
400__ 251__ 188
450__ 267__ 201
500__ 279__ 210
550__ 291__ 218
600__ 298__ 225

Old 09-11-2003, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

i personally think it is a great buy. guys have been putting some tremendous numbers down with these heads. bolt ons....cam....heads can get 440+
in fact i just recently spent 5,400 on my motor and the heads were none other than patriot. i highly recommend jason from TSP----------->
This in no way is a bash but where is all these guys that do 440+ with patriot heads, I think your talking about absolute heads. The patriot head dynos have been few but are in the 390-410 range, which is not bad but nothing outstanding, they had a few valves and rocker fit problems lately, you will need to invest $500 for a set of yella terra rockers to clear the spring retainers, there should be more results popping up in the future and they are coming out with a 6.0l version. Patriot gets an a+ for customer service but as far a best bang for the buck I feel absolute speed wins that hands down with all there near 460 dynos for 1400.00, they just may get my bussiness
Again you are wrong, there will be no need to invest and addnl $500 for these heads(rockers), stock size springs are now used instead of the comp 978's. You have been ******* these heads from day 1 and I just don't get it.
-Steve
Old 09-11-2003, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So you are only paying $200 plus shippinng if you return your cores to him for him to take the worry of building and getting the porting done right.

BTW I am an Absolute user and will continue to use them. But I am not closed minded. just wait and see. PP will either get a really good rep and the price will go up or he will get a bad one and go out of bussiness.

Darrell

Darrell,
I will continue to build great customer service.As much as some would want it to the price is not going up if anything it will go down.Our marketing is based on when others such as AFR,Edelbrock,Trick flow comes to the market.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:49 AM
Launching!

pacerx i guess youd rather spend 1100 for patriots and get 20 hp, instead of getting a set of 1600 dollar heads and get a minimum 40 hp. do a search and do the math. for 500 more you get twice the hp. well the guys who spent the extra 500 will see you in the rear view
And if you actually knew anything about CNC machining, you might actually be dangerous.

But you don't. So you're not.

Mark my words...

I don't care who does it, but somebody is going to lay down 450+ rwhp with a set of Patriots. And I might do it just to shut the ignorance up once and for all.

Terry, you have a PM.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:15 AM
11 Second Club

And if you actually knew anything about CNC machining, you might actually be dangerous.

But you don't. So you're not.

Mark my words...

I don't care who does it, but somebody is going to lay down 450+ rwhp with a set of Patriots. And I might do it just to shut the ignorance up once and for all.

Terry, you have a PM.

Soon.. very very soon my friend, just be patient... I have parts on the way
Old 09-11-2003, 09:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh - I guess you must mean $500 for the Yella Terra's cause I have been seeing alot of people in MY rear view mirror lately.

<--- Patriot heads on my car
Old 09-11-2003, 09:39 AM
10 Second Club

TEA, Patriot and Absolute heads, I would go with any of the three, its basically a toss up, Absolute seem to be making some serious power, My TEA made awesome power, so Patriots should be right up there with everyone else, as long as you choose the right cam....
Old 09-11-2003, 12:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I have to speak up on this one. I ordered a set of stage II Patriots as interim heads while my JPRs are getting upgraded and for use later on my spare stock CID H/C motor. Right off the bat I had problems with oil consumption tripling. Turns out the valve seals were all badly installed.(They were ALL exhaust seals to boot!) Terry was good enought to send me another set of seals but those were all intake seals. I landed up spending 4 hrs extra work to swap out the seals.(thank goodness I had a spare set of exhaust seals to use) Not only were the seals improperly put on to the point where I could remove them by hand with the least amount of effort, they were also all crimped to the point where the bottoms were now oval instead of round and were allowing oil to come in from underneath. Not such a big deal to swap out seals you say?? Mistakes like this happen you say? Well the worst part is that while I had the seals off , I was able to check valve to guide clearances and while the majoritiy were OK , there were 3 valves that were unacceptably loose in the guides. The # 2 exhaust valve is as loose as a 4" dick in an 8" condom. You have to realize that I have about 1000 miles on these heads and those 3 valves will only get worse. I emailed Terry about this and haven't got a reply. The bottom line is even if I'm offered to return them to get them fixed on warranty, I still have to contend with the 8- 10 hrs extra work of removing them and re-installing them and then there is the down time.

Why don't you ask this question..

Is there anyone that ACTUALLY OWNS or has DIRECT experience with patriot that WOULDN'T buy them again?

Yes there is Gomer ......me
Old 09-11-2003, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok pacerx, i forgot you are the cnc expert, you just let me know when you get your set of pp heads and ill make sure someone comes down with a set of AS, or jpr, to come down and spank your ***.
hannibal, you have just spent 1600 on a set of heads, and when you line up next to an AS, jpr car you will see tail lights i garantee it.
cat3 blow me, as soon as there is a legit dyno # and no more problems with the heads i will be the 1st to praise them. the only good thing i hear about is customer service. but we should be hearing about good performance and less service.