Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

patriot heads package

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003 | 01:03 PM
11 Second Club

Default Re: patriot heads package

well, i feel as though I stired up a hornets nest of emotions here, i think the easiest route will be to just contack Patriot, find out about his warrenty, and make sure i get the correct the correct spring/retainer clearance, im sure the company is more than willing to work with me, but i realy do appreciate all of your opinions, hopefully in a month or two will have this process and be able to update you all with my numers and and any problems with the company warent or products.

mac
Old 09-11-2003 | 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I have to speak up on this one. I ordered a set of stage II Patriots as interim heads while my JPRs are getting upgraded and for use later on my spare stock CID H/C motor. Right off the bat I had problems with oil consumption tripling. Turns out the valve seals were all badly installed.(They were ALL exhaust seals to boot!) Terry was good enought to send me another set of seals but those were all intake seals. I landed up spending 4 hrs extra work to swap out the seals.(thank goodness I had a spare set of exhaust seals to use) Not only were the seals improperly put on to the point where I could remove them by hand with the least amount of effort, they were also all crimped to the point where the bottoms were now oval instead of round and were allowing oil to come in from underneath. Not such a big deal to swap out seals you say?? Mistakes like this happen you say? Well the worst part is that while I had the seals off , I was able to check valve to guide clearances and while the majoritiy were OK , there were 3 valves that were unacceptably loose in the guides. The # 2 exhaust valve is as loose as a 4" dick in an 8" condom. You have to realize that I have about 1000 miles on these heads and those 3 valves will only get worse. I emailed Terry about this and haven't got a reply. The bottom line is even if I'm offered to return them to get them fixed on warranty, I still have to contend with the 8- 10 hrs extra work of removing them and re-installing them and then there is the down time.

Why don't you ask this question..

Is there anyone that ACTUALLY OWNS or has DIRECT experience with patriot that WOULDN'T buy them again?

Yes there is Gomer ......me
Steven,
I did not recieve any email stating your problems.I will gladly help you any way I can.Please resend that email.
Old 09-11-2003 | 03:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Mike M, please bring some AS cars down to MIR on Oct 4th... there should be some TEA cars or patriot cars there cause it just seems to me AS cars dislike any other head than their's. Thats just the impression im getting. I see patriot and TEA guys praising AS, but the AS guys are mainly talkin smack about the TEA and Patriot heads. Im not throwing out flames or anything, its just the over all opinion im getting.

lets see AS, TEA, and other battle it out on the track and the same day... maybe Hannibal can run a few of the AS cars. I would run, but i have a slow car and these TEA heads arent gonna help me any LMAO

take it to the track, and not benchrace on the net its plain and simple

but back to the post: I saw where one guy said 380 was low in a A4 with cats. Hell thats pretty darn good. Ive seen GTP cars dyno 380-90 in A4's. A4's arent gonna break over 400 very often, no matter which heads. I'd be happy with 390 in mine cause I really dont care as long as I go faster in the 1/4th.. Everyone knows dyno vary, one dyno shows 410 and another shows 440. The only thing I would use a dyno for is wideband tuning, but i havent even done that once.

as for checking over the heads.. SURE. You should do that to any. Ive seen a few heads in this post come with metal shavings all in them. Not mentioning names cause im not gonna start a war cause thats just part of you the users responsibilty to doublecheck and touch up any problems.

i still think patriot, AS, and TEA are the best bang for the buck. I got my 5.3 TEA heads for 1470 with dual springs so i was more than happy. If they give me 30hp, im even happier.
Old 09-11-2003 | 03:24 PM
11 Second Club

Well I must say Terry was quick to respond. Apparently the email on the site is not working. He called me and assured me that he will take care of any issues the heads have. I don't wish to pull them this season since I only have about 8 weeks left before I put the car away for the winter so he assured me that anytime the beginning of next spring, I can send them and he will take care of the problems. He also offered to upgrade them to the latest design he is working on which I thought was kind of cool.
Incidently, as I told Terry, even with the issues my heads had and have, the car ran a 11.75 @ 122.5 with a 1.79 60' on a launch of 4500 rpm.
Old 09-11-2003 | 03:31 PM
11 Second Club

Well I must say Terry was quick to respond. Apparently the email on the site is not working. He called me and assured me that he will take care of any issues the heads have. I don't wish to pull them this season since I only have about 8 weeks left before I put the car away for the winter so he assured me that anytime the beginning of next spring, I can send them and he will take care of the problems. He also offered to upgrade them to the latest design he is working on which I thought was kind of cool.
Incidently, as I told Terry, even with the issues my heads had and have, the car ran a 11.75 @ 122.5 with a 1.79 60' on a launch of 4500 rpm.
I just love a story with a happy ending!! The heads you have now with the problems.. are they 5.3 or 5.7 castings?
Old 09-11-2003 | 03:38 PM
11 Second Club

5.7 milled .025
Old 09-11-2003 | 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

Now that's customer service, very nice Terry !
Old 09-11-2003 | 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

Right off the bat I had problems with oil consumption tripling. Turns out the valve seals were all badly installed.(They were ALL exhaust seals to boot!) Terry was good enought to send me another set of seals but those were all intake seals. Not such a big deal to swap out seals you say?? Mistakes like this happen you say? Well the worst part is that while I had the seals off , I was able to check valve to guide clearances and while the majoritiy were OK , there were 3 valves that were unacceptably loose in the guides.

Wow! Now I know where my oil consumption problems came from....

My car went from having no oil consumption issue to a major one after installing heads/cam. I didn't even give the possibility of oil consumption a 2nd thought, but obviously I do now that I have a spun rod bearing thanks to my oil level being extremely low. I didn't realize that I'd be 2+ quarts low with only 700-800 miles on my car.

I will now start at the top end of the engine and pull the heads off to see if my heads are suffering from the same issue as StevieZ's were. Now I won't necessarily place blame on PP until after I have the heads off and I have them looked at by a professional.

*EDIT*
Pulled the spark plugs...I've got oil all over 5 of the 8 plugs.
Old 09-11-2003 | 06:05 PM
On The Tree

I should get my 5.3 PP's next week - they have already shipped. The balancing of the engine should be done next week as well. TS&P already gave me a heads up on clearancing the rockers after I check them. Shouldn't take but a few minutes to do that. I'm excited!!

As far as dyno #'s go - whatever?? I've seen plenty of MTI and ARE heads dyno below 400. What does Raughhammer dyno?...380-390... His track times are pretty good. Dyno numbers are for tuning only. They are about as useful as flow numbers.

The good news for LS1TECH fans is that ALL the heads offered by the sponsors have good numbers, backed by good track performers, and seem committed to improving their product. Most owners of P&P heads seem happy with their choice wether its ARE,MTI,PP,TEA,ASP,MMS, etc......Any choice you make is a winner if you are satisfied. I'm sure I will be ecstatic!!
ERIC
Old 09-11-2003 | 07:19 PM
TECH Veteran

As far as dyno #'s go - whatever?? I've seen plenty of MTI and ARE heads dyno below 400. What does Raughhammer dyno?...380-390... His track times are pretty good. Dyno numbers are for tuning only. They are about as useful as flow numbers.

thank ya... its usually the lower dynoing cars that run the better numbers on the track Tellin someone you have 450hp from a dyno graph doesnt mean you can run 11's

Old 09-12-2003 | 01:18 AM
TECH Resident

If I am buying anything over a 1,000 dollars it would take a lot of guts to tell people I made a mistake in buying it. That is why amazingly people predictably bash other vendors heads that they do not own. There are some good examples in this post. I would not listen to anyone's answer unless they had Patriot heads on their car. I have spent nothing YET on my heads and they work great(stock). Sorry no track times or dyno numbers saving money for some heads so I can bash other vendors like the rest of you.
Old 09-12-2003 | 02:01 AM
10 Second Club

I can tell you for sure I am not out to bash any heads here. Although I have absolute Speed heads that does not mean I cannot respect someone elses hard work.I mean My cam is a thunder racing cam does that make me a thunder racing car? I know plenty of guys here that have TEA heads and love them . Same goes for just about every other companys heads. Not everyone has the same goals when buying a set of heads. I bought my heads local because I knew a few guys that had AS heads and were flying. I also concidered TEA and GTP at the time. All the heads had strong selling points. I think for my setup I recieved a great set of heads. I know that HD (98taAuto) feels the same about his TEA heads also. Did we both get great deals ? Ofcourse we did because we are both very happy with what we got. The same would go for Patriot heads If ya got em and your happy who cares what other people think. BTW ITs funny how all high dynoing cars are concidered dyno queens. When my tranny isnt busted ( Which IT is alot of the time latley ) I can always be found at the local tracks every weekend putting the smack down on just about any street car that lines up. Ive always felt my car dynoed a bit low. I really really hope I have my tranny problems fixed for MIR . Id love to RAce HD and some of the other guys I would be a great day and lots of fun win or lose. Hopefully you guys can all race this dyno queen of mine and show me what real cars run like !
Old 09-12-2003 | 08:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

hannibal, you have just spent 1600 on a set of heads, and when you line up next to an AS, jpr car you will see tail lights i garantee it.
Yada, yada, yada - still talking are we???? I will be at MIR on Oct 4th - you find me a car with whatever heads on it you choose and I will run it. I dont give a *** - lol. Think I am scared of a possible "L"????

My car is a street car - not setup to be a 1/4 mile killer. But I guarantee (<--- notice spelling?) you that I will more than hold my own and will have a very respectable ET for my setup

I am in this for the fun and nothing more. I dont feel the need like you do apparently have a d!ck measuring contest over a brand of heads. I like to hang with my friends at the track and BS about cars and work towards getting a little bit faster each time out.

But do you think I can refuse such a bold challenge that ANY AS, JPR car will show me taillights ......guaranteed (<--- there's that spelling thing again)???

****, I will be more than happy to be your Huckleberry. October 4th is only a few weeks away

And Mike - its Hannibal ......... with a capital "H"
Old 09-12-2003 | 08:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

If I am buying anything over a 1,000 dollars it would take a lot of guts to tell people I made a mistake in buying it. That is why amazingly people predictably bash other vendors heads that they do not own. There are some good examples in this post. I would not listen to anyone's answer unless they had Patriot heads on their car. I have spent nothing YET on my heads and they work great(stock). Sorry no track times or dyno numbers saving money for some heads so I can bash other vendors like the rest of you.
I know I seem to be a basher, I am not posting any bash posts anymore {wish I could but Im on my last warning} But when some one asks for opinions on a product that I own or dont own Im going to give it, thats like saying how can you dislike and not vote for a president if you dont know him personally<------{hannibal did I spell that right}
what we all have seen is a valve recall, clearance issues with stock rockers, brocken springs and now oil consumption from loose guides and inncorrectly installed seals, we have also seen that patriot stands behind there product and will be there to work with you with any issue and most of there customers are happy and will buy them again. So dont tell me I cant express my opinion, thats un-american and against freedom of speach,
I have the right just like all of you to an opinion
Old 09-12-2003 | 08:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Jeremy, bring that tub of lard on down here. My 277hp is gonna smack your crappy 42what hp down LMAO

you and me share the same opinions.. neither of us is out to bash other compainies heads. As long as you the buyer are happy, then all is said and done.
Old 09-12-2003 | 09:08 AM
10 Second Club

Jeremy, bring that tub of lard on down here. My 277hp is gonna smack your crappy 42what hp down LMAO

you and me share the same opinions.. neither of us is out to bash other compainies heads. As long as you the buyer are happy, then all is said and done.
HD

Ive been chasing your car for some time! That 277 hp was when you were stock. I think you must be closer to 300 by now. I forgot to mention min raceweight is 3600 pounds to line up . You better Reinstall them seats, A/C and through a 100 pound sand bag in the back. Oh yea stock rims all around. I figure its easier for you to add the weight than for me to go take it all out and get rims + tires. Damn I need to put my car on a diet!!! But a working tranny is tops on my list right now... Who knows if my junker isnt running I might just come down to spectate but that just wont be as much fun. Anyone with a tranny and a 12 bolt they can lend me ? Maby I can catch a ride down with one of the sponsors.

Jeremy
Old 09-12-2003 | 09:22 AM
TECH Veteran

hell im at 3500 now with that crap out... i dunno why but my cars a pig and running with a full tank of gas at the track doesnt help. All i gotta do is add the seats and ill be back to 3600 LMAO

wanna run nitto to nitto LMAO
Old 09-12-2003 | 09:22 AM
TECH Resident

I know I seem to be a basher, I am not posting any bash posts anymore {wish I could but Im on my last warning} But when some one asks for opinions on a product that I own or dont own Im going to give it, thats like saying how can you dislike and not vote for a president if you dont know him personally<------{hannibal did I spell that right}
what we all have seen is a valve recall, clearance issues with stock rockers, brocken springs and now oil consumption from loose guides and inncorrectly installed seals, we have also seen that patriot stands behind there product and will be there to work with you with any issue and most of there customers are happy and will buy them again. So dont tell me I cant express my opinion, thats un-american and against freedom of speach,
I have the right just like all of you to an opinion
I do not know why you would take this personally unless you felt guilty or paranoid that everyone is talking about you. I do not know you and was only responding to the original post, hence me NOT using quotes. Sure we all have our opinions, that is what I gave and likewise you did. I was just trying to let the poster know mine. In your reply you still gave personal examples about a manufacturer's head that you do not even own. The only replies I would ever give any credit to are those who have owned the product, and yes this is my OPINION!
Old 09-12-2003 | 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

hey hANNIBAL, thanks for the spelling correction, please spell check everything i post. your such a smart guy, you even go with budget heads to save a buck. how many times have you pulled those valve covers after the install? how many times has terrys phone been ringing? im not BASHING, im just pointing out the obvious <---(did i spell that right) to potential buyers of problems with the product in question. sorry for getting your panties in a bunch over the whole racing thing, i was just breakin your *****.

terry get your act together and make a good product, im sure your cnc work is top notch. but everything you bolt onto these heads seems to have problems. (im just looking out for the guys who are buying heads becuase of the cheap price)and getting burnt.
Old 09-12-2003 | 10:26 AM
TECH Resident

i post. your such a smart guy, you even go with
I am sorry but after reading your post I am LMAO. You totally put hannibal down AND you fugged up YOUR post. There are at least 2 types of YOUR and YOU'RE and you used the wrong one.
Sorry had to do it, and PS I am pretty sure I make more mistakes than you do.