Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soon to start putting together my 6.0 iron block--help me with some odds and ends

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008 | 04:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Soon to start putting together my 6.0 iron block--help me with some odds and ends

I got my block on the stand today and looking it over, I have a few questions. No doubt there's some little stuff that will be needed and that's where you come in. I've had the block nearly 2 years and I tore it down over a year ago so I'm same as starting fresh. This is a ground up project, btw.

What's the oil restricter plug I've read about and where does it go? Any other plugs I might be missing?

There's a hole at the back of the block toward the bottom on the pass side. It's not threaded--does a freeze plug go here?

On the oil pan where the filter goes, there's a plate with a crooked "pipe" coming off of it about an inch long. What is it and where does it go?

Where does the oil pressure sending unit go? I am pretty sure I am missing the apparatus for it.

Lastly for now, I need to know what I need to do for a steam pipe or crossover or whatever it is. I don't have another LS engine for reference. I am running a Vic Jr.
Old 10-05-2008 | 06:55 PM
On The Tree

The oil pressure switch goes in the rear of the block behind the intake pointing up. The plate you are refering to on F-bodys is plugged, it looks like it could have a purpose but I have not seen it hooked up to anything on an LS based engine yet. Sorry I can't help ya with all of them.
Old 10-05-2008 | 09:07 PM
TECH Veteran

The plate on the oil pan? That will be a perfect spot for my turbo oil feed since it serves no purpose. Without looking, seems like there's some sort of hard line and fitting on my LT1 for the oil pressure. So it screws directly into the block?