Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What do you think is causing the white smoke?
Burning coolant?
25.00%
Bad rings?
37.50%
Bad head gasket?
25.00%
Other?
25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

WTF??? New exhaust, tune-up, and clouds of white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 04:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PMCSPIDER
The plugs are brand new.

When you say ring job, is that as simple as simply taking the heads off, replacing the rings, and head gasket, engine flush...crank shaft fluid change. Change the oil filters, and that might do the trick?
If you change the rings you need to pull the motor out of the car. The **** is crankshaft fluid? And you have an oil filter, just 1
Old 10-12-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did your old plugs look when you took them out???

And yeah- you gotta pull the engine... - thought that was kind of a given..
Old 10-15-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Like pieces of charcoal. LOL, wtf is crank oil? ha, I dont know who you are, but I can totally see that being said. I liek your style streetassasin
Old 10-15-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah, if they looked like that, you need a ring job, might as well just do a basic rebuild. i.e.- hone cylinder walls(maybe bore if you have deep scratches or ring ridge), valve seals, piston rings, rod and main bearings. - oil pan seal, rear main seal, front cover and crankshaft seal, headgaskets, valve cover gaskets, water pump, and intake gaskets.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are you ******* kidding me? The damn plugs were replaced at 94K miles. You mean to tell me the first owner fucked this car up that bad? How the **** do you do that to an engine? I mean the first owner put Edelbrock shorties and a system in it, that means he had some remote interest in performance and upgrades...you would think you would change the ******* oil and fluids correctly.

So what? How much am I looking at? More than $3K?
Old 10-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

It definately sounds like you have a few rings seized into the piston groove. Go to your local GM dealer and buy you a couple bottles of top end cleaner. (they use id alot on cadillacs for the same issue) pull the #5 plug out and fill the cylinder through the spark plug hole with top end cleaner. It's some pretty potent stuff. Should break them loose though. I would let it sit over night and then spin the eng over to blow everything out. After you start the car it'ss smoke for a minute or two but whould go away after everything is burnt off.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dz2a8r
It definately sounds like you have a few rings seized into the piston groove. Go to your local GM dealer and buy you a couple bottles of top end cleaner. (they use id alot on cadillacs for the same issue) pull the #5 plug out and fill the cylinder through the spark plug hole with top end cleaner. It's some pretty potent stuff. Should break them loose though. I would let it sit over night and then spin the eng over to blow everything out. After you start the car it'ss smoke for a minute or two but whould go away after everything is burnt off.
Is this process (using Top End Cleaner) similar to the end result of Seafoaming the motor? I have some seafoam, and have used it every 50K miles on most vehicles I have used in the past. Should I top-end cylinder #5 as instructed, then seafoam the **** after wards...as in maybe the next day after cranking up the enging after top-ending it?

Also, and I am not sure if this is related...but on cylinder #5...spec the outside of the block right below the ignition coil mount site, there seems to be what appears...burnt oil. Any ideas?
Old 10-15-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

you could be leaking oil from the head, or just pull the #5 plug and see what it looks like. If its oily....you need rings.

Quick Reply: WTF??? New exhaust, tune-up, and clouds of white smoke