Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What do you think is causing the white smoke?
Burning coolant?
25.00%
Bad rings?
37.50%
Bad head gasket?
25.00%
Other?
25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

WTF??? New exhaust, tune-up, and clouds of white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question WTF??? New exhaust, tune-up, and clouds of white smoke

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...st+smoke+white

I have the same issue as the original poster. The white smoke pours out even when in neutral ata a stop light. It is a lot of smoke, and it is almost like I Seafoamed the damn car!

My Dad says I may have some bad rings - and that I will ahve to bore out my cylinder walls, get new pistons, rings, heads too maybe. I was like are you ******* kidding me?

I notced it was pouring out white smoke after I went to my offorad exhaust. Before, I had clogged up O2's and Cats. The car runs bad ***, but still the white smoke. Ive also noticed it seems to burning oil somehow, as after only 300 miles after I change my oil the low oil light will come on. I top it off, the light turns off, and its seems to be fine.

Before I changed over my exhaust, it was running real effing bad, and my brother SHINER said I had like 2 quarts of oil in the engine when he checked it for me, I was embarassed and clueless to how that may have happened.

Do I need to basically replace the whole damn engine, or is there a more inexpensive way to correct this problem?
Old 10-07-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had two diesel engine's at my shop that were blowing white smoke out of the exhaust,oil fill cap, and breather tube. The pistion rings were gulded in to the pistion and blow by was causing burning oil. Burning coolant is usually what causes white smoke. Has your engine been consuming coolant too. I'm going to go more with the coolant problem if the moter is still running fine. The two engine's I talked about had almost no power.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

you might wanna check your piston rings
Old 10-07-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey my Dad said rings too. But do you have to re-bore the cylinder walls, adn get new pistons too? I know it is common, and they can go hand in hand, but is it possible to simply have bad rings?

I am also runing a P0305 codes, and have done everything but replace the fuel injectors. IS it possible I got a bad seal due to a faulty ring on the piston for cylinder #5?

Of course I would replace all rings, and injectors. So what is the probability that ring replacement is the only issue? If not waht am going to probably end up having to do to correct this? Im not diving it at all until I drive to where it is going to get fixed.

How much would it cost to get a good set of used LSX heads, bore-over the cylinder walls, new pistons, rings, and a slightly bigger cam than factory, and some good valve covers? Can it be done with installation for under $3K?

My brother SHINER did it for around $3K, heads, cam, installed. Any thoughts? This is of course if I have to do more than simply replace the rings, and possibly the head gaskets. Ok, fire away please.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well you might not have to bore out the cyls but you should hone them.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You may have lucked out and not have scratched the cylinder wall to bad. You can bore the ls1 but it would cheaper to buy a new block. The boring and re sleaving isn't cheap. You can hone .005-.010 and get 347ci. So hopefully you didn't break a ring and scrape it up and down the cylinder wall. The cast aluminum pistion wont do as much damage as a ring.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:22 AM
TECH Resident

Bad headgasket and burning coolant kinda go hand in hand...
Old 10-08-2008, 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vrbas
Bad headgasket and burning coolant kinda go hand in hand...
That's where I would look first before tearing the engine down. Oil typically burns blueish, although your oil consumption doesn't look good either.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:47 AM
11 Second Club

You leave anything inside the exhaust? packing peanuts or such?
Old 10-09-2008, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Duffster
You leave anything inside the exhaust? packing peanuts or such?
Not to my knowledge, but I did buy the car from a Carnie.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, if I replace the rings and head gaskets, I can save money on the labor.

http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip,.../selectZip.htm

http://www.autozone.com/R,2048150/ve...ductDetail.htm

Total parts at Autozone: $399.42
New Injectors : $60.00

Grand total...................$459.42

Now, this is manageable, if there is more than a 50/50 chance it will fix, or even drastically improve the vehicle's engine condition & performance.

What say you?
Old 10-11-2008, 11:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is it possible to simply replace the head gasket(s) and correct the problem?

Furthermore, can I replace both the HG's and the rings w/o having to to tear down the motor (i.e. hone the cylinder walls, new heads, other expensive repairs...)?
Old 10-12-2008, 01:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PMCSPIDER
Is it possible to simply replace the head gasket(s) and correct the problem?

Furthermore, can I replace both the HG's and the rings w/o having to to tear down the motor (i.e. hone the cylinder walls, new heads, other expensive repairs...)?
IMHO, if your going to take the time to tear it down to re-ring it you may as well take the time and do it right since your in there anyways.
better to fix it right the first time than to pay twice as much to fix the same parts "again" and maybe be in need of sleeves or worse a block which at that point your better off buying another block.
which in turn will have you kicking yourself in the *** for not doing it "right" in the first place.
just my $0.02 and my opinion.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:57 AM
TECH Addict

So coolant, which is mostly water can burn? That's a good one. It's NOT smoke and it isn't burning. It's steam. Can you replace the head gaskets and piston rings without having to tear the motor down? Yes you can, but you have to be fast enough to do it without letting the smoke out. Once that smoke gets out it is nearly impossible to get it back in and without that smoke your engine may not run properly. By the way, have you done a leakdown? You may want to consider a compression and leakdown tests as a starting point before you commit to tearing this motor apart.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys, good info...and more questions. But hey Im getting closer and learning a few things. I will trouble shoot easy-to-hard and update as anything significant occurs.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you pulled and looked at your plugs?? Can you post up a picture of a couple of them??
Old 10-12-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Exclamation

Originally Posted by indirocz28
Have you pulled and looked at your plugs?? Can you post up a picture of a couple of them??
Brand new Iridium plugs and new AC Delco plug wire sets, new O2 snesors in front, and new O2 Sims in back.

I did just install my SLP lid box, and I cranked it up to make sure nothing else was going on...I gunned it a little parked in neutral...let it idle for a minute, noticed the a light white-ish cloud coming out of the exhaust.

I turned it off, and swiped my finger in both tail pipes, and there was a very oily-carbon residue (fresh) and old/baked on the inside of both pipes.

I then checked the neighbors 1999 Caprice that has like 40K miles on it (some old lady's car)...and her's was clean.

So....evidence of oil going out the pipes through the exhaust system. Now, I never had the cloud of smoke b4 I went off-road with the y-pipe, no cats, sims, etc...

...but, the old o2's (all 4) and the cats were so effing clogged up, the whole car ran liek complete ****. No it runs great, but the smoke, and now oil residue coming out of the pipes...

OIL...what does that sound like to you? Still H.Gasket? Thought?
Old 10-12-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well your noticing the oil b/c you got rid of your clogged up exhaust lol- you obviously know that.. Also, The Iridium plugs dont work very well unless they are in pristine conditions in an engine- Also- Platinum and iridium plugs do great at sparking until they are worn, but when they wear down they cause almost twice as much resistance as a regular spark plug.

Anyways- you may have a leaky head gasket, but I would be more along the lines of worn cylinder walls/leaky piston rings..

Try changing your oil and put in about 1 1/2 quarts of tranny fluid in your crank case along with the engine oil ( obviously you would replace 1 1/2 quarts 5w30 with the trans fluid).. just do that with some cheap auto trans fluid and cheap oil & filter.. Hopefully it will break free/clean up some of the junk inside your engine...

Run it for about a week or to or 500-700 miles, drain it, and then put in good oil and filter but again just put about a quart of auto trans fluid in for good measure..

Also- maybe try running some thicker oil....

Short of that, i'd say your looking at a ring job....
Old 10-12-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by indirocz28
well your noticing the oil b/c you got rid of your clogged up exhaust lol- you obviously know that.. Also, The Iridium plugs dont work very well unless they are in pristine conditions in an engine- Also- Platinum and iridium plugs do great at sparking until they are worn, but when they wear down they cause almost twice as much resistance as a regular spark plug.

Anyways- you may have a leaky head gasket, but I would be more along the lines of worn cylinder walls/leaky piston rings..

Try changing your oil and put in about 1 1/2 quarts of tranny fluid in your crank case along with the engine oil ( obviously you would replace 1 1/2 quarts 5w30 with the trans fluid).. just do that with some cheap auto trans fluid and cheap oil & filter.. Hopefully it will break free/clean up some of the junk inside your engine...

Run it for about a week or to or 500-700 miles, drain it, and then put in good oil and filter but again just put about a quart of auto trans fluid in for good measure..

Also- maybe try running some thicker oil....

Short of that, i'd say your looking at a ring job....
The plugs are brand new.

When you say ring job, is that as simple as simply taking the heads off, replacing the rings, and head gasket, engine flush...crank shaft fluid change. Change the oil filters, and that might do the trick?
Old 10-12-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PMCSPIDER
The plugs are brand new.

When you say ring job, is that as simple as simply taking the heads off, replacing the rings, and head gasket, engine flush...crank shaft fluid change. Change the oil filters, and that might do the trick?

Well, pretty much, but the truth of the matter is- Your going to have to tear the engine down no matter how you look at it.. so while your doing that- replace the rings, rod bearings, main bearings, clean up everything really well, replace your gaskets and rear and front seals...

For now.- put the trans fluid in there with new oil and filter and run it like i said..

You maybe surprised to find that it might clear up if you get lucky- just do it before you go spending time & $ tearing that thing apart..

Also- I would reccomend you get a good upper intake clean as well either by seafoaming or take to a dealership and have them run thier cleaner through it...

Quick Reply: WTF??? New exhaust, tune-up, and clouds of white smoke