Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fiber Tuned Intake Review with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 01:12 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Does it make more power than a FAST90?
I have a friend in Vero with the Wilson Billet Bank and it replaced the Fast 90/90 on a 427 roller (cathedral) set up (560 rwhp w/ Fast)
We should have results from the dyno soon.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^Here is a pic of it if anyone was interested. Very pricey and more for an all out race or show car. I feel on the street this is way wasteful. What torque?? I would def be more interested in the fiber tuned over this. http://www.wilsonmanifolds.com/shop/...uct_detail&p=8
Old 12-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
^^^Here is a pic of it if anyone was interested. Very pricey and more for an all out race or show car. I feel on the street this is way wasteful. What torque?? I would def be more interested in the fiber tuned over this. http://www.wilsonmanifolds.com/shop/...uct_detail&p=8
I remember seeing a dyno comparison vs the stock LS7 intake and it was not impressive at all.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:17 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
Don't you have the same intake I do, my heads are milled .020 and I didn't have to mill the intake, when I called up scoggin dickey to order my gaskets they asked me if the heads were milled and I told them .020 and they gave me a gasket with the right thickness based on that to make it fit up, or at least that's what they said.
Yeah except I have rect ports. We needed more than 11.1 for the power we were lookin for so we decided not to use a thicker HG a milled the intake.

Last edited by 3fingas; 12-22-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3fingas
Yeah except I have rect ports. We needed more than 11.1 for the power we were lookin for so we decided not to use a thicker HG a milled the intake.
I didn't use a thicker head gasket, thicker intake gasket. I'm up at 12:1 compression, that's why I milled the heads, would've been pointless to put a thicker gasket on after milling the heads, would've defeated the purpose.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:49 AM
9 Second Club

I didn't use a thicker head gasket, thicker intake gasket. I'm up at 12:1 compression, that's why I milled the heads, would've been pointless to put a thicker gasket on after milling the heads, would've defeated the purpose.
yes, i meant intake gasket, my bad. The LS3 head ports are different than cath ports. To get the ports right, we had to mill the intake. Heads were milled .020. Milling the heads changes the height of the head, and plane on the intake ports. Guess the cath ports are easier to get right.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Restricted User

yes, i meant intake gasket, my bad. The LS3 head ports are different than cath ports. To get the ports right, we had to mill the intake. Heads were milled .020. Milling the heads changes the height of the head, and plane on the intake ports. Guess the cath ports are easier to get right.
Why don't you 2 get a room?

JFWY guys.

Anyways, I got to thinking about the alignment issue and it was actually off to the inside. In other words, milling the flanges would make it more off. I think that part of the problem was that I didn't have the orings in the intake when test fitting it. This would have made the intake fit slightly higher and probably would have been just enough to line up. Regardless, the holes need to be opened up slightly in order to have some small amount of tolerance (like everyone elses).
Old 12-23-2008, 03:16 PM
9 Second Club

Why don't you 2 get a room?

JFWY guys.

Anyways, I got to thinking about the alignment issue and it was actually off to the inside. In other words, milling the flanges would make it more off. I think that part of the problem was that I didn't have the orings in the intake when test fitting it. This would have made the intake fit slightly higher and probably would have been just enough to line up. Regardless, the holes need to be opened up slightly in order to have some small amount of tolerance (like everyone elses).
If you want, sam is good at drillin **** out. He dont care.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Restricted User

If you want, sam is good at drillin **** out. He dont care.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...humpingcat.jpg
Nice!!!

Just got an update on the intake. Unfortunately it didn't arrive to them until almost 1PM due to the busy holiday shipping season. He is still working on it. The linkage tab has been fixed and it has been machined out for clearance for the throttle body. They are just opening up the bolt holes now, moving the vacuum port in the rear and final assembly. I should see it on Friday thanks to Christmas.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:06 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with the Fiber Tuned! Let me know when your ready to get rid of that 90mm.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:57 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Speed Density
Good luck with the Fiber Tuned! Let me know when your ready to get rid of that 90mm.

I'll sell it cheap ($250) but it needs some serious work.The flange is in rough shape and #8 cylinder needs to be sanded down and have a little epoxy work done to it. Car did run a new best on motor last time out with it just the way it is but she aint pretty. Send me a PM if your interested and I'll shoot you some pics

Update:

All done and she sure does look sexy!

My Christmas will be on Friday.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:25 AM
9 Second Club

Yes she does. Merry X-Mas!!
Old 12-24-2008, 09:52 AM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Still haven't gotten a good clean pass on spray since I did it. Seems to be working well on motor even though it's made to shine on spray.
Good deal Carlos, let me know what your results/findings are. Also, I am glad to see your new intake purchase. This will help your motor out dramatically, not only with better cylinder distribution, but differences in intake pulses and breathing capibilites as well.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:18 PM
Flow Wizard

This is NOT the right intake for any stock displacement or even near stock displacement applications....and even streetbound strokers would likely be better off with a much longer runner design, but for aggressive stokers and big inch blown combo's this thing certainly looks like it has some potential. I like the fact the runners arent aluminum and wont hold as much heat.

Good luck Carlos....keep us posted (looks great btw....serious looking piece!)

-Tony

PS....Would still love a dyno comparison!
Old 12-24-2008, 06:34 PM
12 Second Club

What is the runner leanth on these? And the FAST compared to the LS6?
Old 12-24-2008, 07:09 PM
10 & 11 Second Club

That is a sharp looking intake!!
Old 12-24-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice work, wish you the best of luck with it.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:30 PM
Restricted User

Man, I am so anxious to get this intake back. I really hope that it arrives tomorrow with all the shitty weather that they have been having all over the place the last couple of days. I had to drive around in the rain all day yesterday in my beater (without A/C).

Originally Posted by tillery
What is the runner leanth on these? And the FAST compared to the LS6?
I believe that the runner length on these is 4 inches. The longer runner that they are saying will be available soon is supposed to be 6 inches. The FAST 90 that I have here has a runner length of 8 1/2 to 9 inches depending on how you measure it as the runners are curved so bottom is shorter distance than top.

If anyone has a GMPP or Victor (cathedral port style) off the car, I would be interested in getting a runner length on those. Runner only, do not measure to the flange.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Junkie

I believe that the runner length on these is 4 inches. The longer runner that they are saying will be available soon is supposed to be 6 inches. The FAST 90 that I have here has a runner length of 8 1/2 to 9 inches depending on how you measure it as the runners are curved so bottom is shorter distance than top.

If anyone has a GMPP or Victor (cathedral port style) off the car, I would be interested in getting a runner length on those. Runner only, do not measure to the flange.
Carlos, my gmpp is off the car right now, I can take a measurement for you, where do I measure from and to?
Old 12-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Restricted User

Carlos, my gmpp is off the car right now, I can take a measurement for you, where do I measure from and to?
On the Fast I measured from the bottom of the intake port that mates to the head to the bottom of the port when it comes into the open plenum area. That measured just a hair over 8 1/2 inches. On yours, it's gonna have to be an imaginary line in the plenum area.

Quick Reply: Fiber Tuned Intake Review with pictures