Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fiber Tuned Intake Review with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
I got the tune all adjusted today and got some good logs from which I applied some very non-scientific math but atleast it yielded some positive results.

I moved my rev limiter up another 100 rpm to 7400 RPM. Once you hit about 6K RPM, you can really feel it start to charge and never lets up. I suspect that I could go to 7500 no problem but I dont like to spin my motor that high. Anyway, I dialed in the AFR and got some good data logging done with HPTuners. When you play back a log, you can see a time stamp down to a 1000th of a second. I compared today's logs vs some logs that I had from my last trip to the track. I just compared how long it took to go up 1000 RPM (6K to 7KRPM) in second gear. All my logs (after dialing in the tune) today were consistent to each other within a 100th of a second. They were also all .18-.20 sec faster than my log of a 10.42 pass that I was using for comparison. If this intake doesn't hurt my 60', I expect to drop atleast 2 tenths.
.18-.20 thats a lot for a one gear pull. that would be impressive to see anything over a .20 gain considering where you are at now. just so you know, i use to be a little freaked out about spinning my motor above 7200. but now shift my car at 7900. you will get use to it
Old 12-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BLUEBALLS ZZ
.18-.20 thats a lot for a one gear pull. that would be impressive to see anything over a .20 gain considering where you are at now. just so you know, i use to be a little freaked out about spinning my motor above 7200. but now shift my car at 7900. you will get use to it
7900 Did you put a carb intake on it?
Old 12-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Launching!

7900 Did you put a carb intake on it?
no, that's why i am following whats going on with this new intake. that way i can make a good judgment on what intake is the best for my car oh yeah, you may not know i have a bigger cam in the car now.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks expensive....
Old 12-28-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm glad to hear its pulling hard up top for you. I can't imagine any engine combo requiring more high end flow than this manifold can deliver.

As far as back to back testing, I'll see what I can do. My problem is I still have several manifolds to finish and deliver to customers that have pre-paid for them. And I need to incorparate these new features into them as well, because we sure can't afford to give UPS $300 per manifold like we did with this one, overnighting them back and forth across the country. We are working on them full-time, but they do require a lot of work for each one. I'll be caught up and maybe even have 1 or 2 'on the shelf' by mid Jan, unless of course we get many more orders.
Vinny
Old 12-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Flow Wizard

I just compared how long it took to go up 1000 RPM (6K to 7KRPM) in second gear. All my logs (after dialing in the tune) today were consistent to each other within a 100th of a second. They were also all .18-.20 sec faster than my log of a 10.42 pass that I was using for comparison. If this intake doesn't hurt my 60', I expect to drop atleast 2 tenths.
Carlos...that seems like solid gains. Are we talking about what used to take 1 second....1.5 seconds....give us total time with both set-ups.

Also, any chance your former tune was astray at all?

This is why dyno testing becomes so important....check both set-ups for proper A/F ratios etc., although no doubt what you have already collected looks promising. The other factor is how long were you running the toasty melted FAST?....Is any of that data from the obviously screwed up intake because now we arent comparing apples obviously.

Thanks!

Tony
Old 12-29-2008, 05:43 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Carlos...that seems like solid gains. Are we talking about what used to take 1 second....1.5 seconds....give us total time with both set-ups.

Also, any chance your former tune was astray at all?

This is why dyno testing becomes so important....check both set-ups for proper A/F ratios etc., although no doubt what you have already collected looks promising. The other factor is how long were you running the toasty melted FAST?....Is any of that data from the obviously screwed up intake because now we arent comparing apples obviously.

Thanks!

Tony
Yeah, I was lookng at data from my FAST that was all beat up. I don't know how much that damage could have hurt me on motor as I was running pretty FAST compared to other guys with similar setups. Here's the video of my 10.40 pass at 128.9. I'm the first car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7snPVJ_vxE

The car was tuned spot on with the hurt intake. The only thing that would have hurt performance with that intake would have been some turbulance in that runner. I run a MAF so a small leak at the seal wouldn't effect me too much as the MAP would correct fueling for the additional air (reduced vacuum). That cylinder was always lean but they say lean is mean so who knows.

The data that I compared was looking at a just under 2 second window of the 2nd gear pull. My car is geared for spray so I am going thru the traps at about 6350 on motor. So this intake will only really be helping me in 1st and 2nd gears on motor.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:16 PM
10 Second Club

Any updates on this thing yet? Dyno run maybe??
Old 01-02-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
Any updates on this thing yet? Dyno run maybe??
Dyno #'s don't mean anything, the best comparison would be at the track.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:29 PM
10 Second Club

^^^There needs to be some kind of comparison done on the dyno, that is the reason we use dynos as a tuning tool. There are too many variables in this case to just go off of his tack times. IMO. They were talking about a FAST vs this dyno. Just wanted to know the status of this.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We just need to be patient....Carlos said he isn't planning on putting his car on a dyno anytime soon but he planning on testing this intake vs a FAST on a 427 on an engine dyno soon.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
^^^There needs to be some kind of comparison done on the dyno, that is the reason we use dynos as a tuning tool. There are too many variables in this case to just go off of his tack times. IMO. They were talking about a FAST vs this dyno. Just wanted to know the status of this.
I and most of the people I know do our tuning on the track and streetability tuning on the street (this includes carlos). The best way to tune a car is in the real world conditions, not on a dyno. I also know he doesn't put the car on the dyno much, so there's not much to compare it too and i'm sure he's not going to waste the time and money to go to the dyno, swap intakes and retune back to back to get comparisons unless he's getting paid for it, it's quite a bit of work, I know I wouldn't!
Old 01-03-2009, 09:21 AM
Restricted User

Loudmouth and 03Busa, you are both right. The chassis dyno is a great tool. But not so much with a big stalled auto like I have. The converter will actually behave differently depending on the power band which will be different between the 2 intakes. For this purpose I feel that the engine dyno would be the most accurate and unbiased comparison. It is also much easier to dial in the powerband on the engine dyno. It's just a more controlled environment where the IAT's, ECT's, Oil Temp, etc will all be pretty much the same. That and there is no cowl on the engine dyno .

The only reason that I would want to get on the chassis dyno would be to dial in my powerband and see where this thing pulls too on my car.

As for track times, sorry Busa but that's the only thing that really matters at the end of the day. And as I have said on several posts already, my car is deadly consistent on motor. It is literally as easy as pulling away from a green light in traffic to hook and launch. I WILL know if this thing works. The track opens this Wednesday and I'll be there. I was looking at the weather forecast and it shows rain but hopefully that will be in the early part of the day. If not, it'll be Friday.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Very well done review. The intake looks awsome! Can you keep your stock pcv system with this intake, and also where is the map sensor located?
Old 01-04-2009, 10:39 PM
FormerVendor

Everytime a part comes out that everyone is very excited to see results on..always seems like you never get the ideal comparisons.

We have a fibertuned intake on the way that is getting bolted onto a 427" with AFR 235cc (tea ported) heads /w a ported Fast 90 right now...We will be posting a back to back comparison as soon as it gets here
Old 01-04-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoCalSpd
Everytime a part comes out that everyone is very excited to see results on..always seems like you never get the ideal comparisons.

We have a fibertuned intake on the way that is getting bolted onto a 427" with AFR 235cc (tea ported) heads /w a ported Fast 90 right now...We will be posting a back to back comparison as soon as it gets here

thank you. Thats what we all are waiting to see.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

intake looks sweet but i wanna see some comparisons between fast 92 etc before i dump 1500
Old 01-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SoCalSpd

Very cool. That's definately what I'm waiting to see.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:44 PM
10 Second Club

+1. That is a better comparison, big cubes and the supporting mods vs a fast on the dyno.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:22 PM
FormerVendor

Nitro Daves called today and they will be shipping our manifold thursday.

The 98 C5 it is going on runs 10.4 @ 130 n/a, very consistantly (transbrake 4l65e, 427" motor, 1.4x 60 fts on the motor. We've got a ton of dyno passes on 1100se eddy current mustang dyno with converter locked etc. We just touched up the tune and have fresh numbers with it and will put it back on as soon as the new intake goes on.

Quick Reply: Fiber Tuned Intake Review with pictures