Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

454 lsx with cnc l92 heads, intake options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 09:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3timeracin
The larger engine is not always to make more power the larger the engine the more driveable it becomes "thats why we build them". Actually there is a very wise person named Stan Wiess he has independantly tested about 2,000 cylinder heads and according to his chart located here http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tablehdp.htm
A 454ci engine will use approximately 400 cfm at 8,080rpm so 400cfm is far more than enough head flow for a 454 actually some of the best big block heads available only flow 500cfm, and they are intended for engines 632ci. I have ran the PRC ls7 heads and the WCHH L92 and made over 700hp with both using a GMPP carb intake and a 950cfm carb. The best thing to do is take your cybic inch divive it by 8 and use the chart I provided. That will tell you how much head you need by what rpm you plan on spinning your engine....If you do not plan on 8000 rpm and a solid roller you dont need ported LS7 heads that flow 400cfm. If you have a 454ci engine thats 56.75 ci per cylinder and spin at 7000 it will use about 360cfm so anymore is a waste and a carb intake will not keep up with a 400cfm head anyway but it will move at least 360cfm. There is plenty of carbed and injected engines making 700hp using these intakes so that is proof they flow enough air. I just made 741hp with the new Edelbrock intake and WCCH ported L92's.

Hey there 3time, how's it going? Long time no chat!! See you got your motor back together. What did you end up with rockers? I bought the T&D's (I might have already told ya, can't remember) My motor should FINALLY be on teh dyno @ mid April, hopefully. We did change some things up, and waiting as long as I did for the Yella's (almost 5 months) and then finally just going T&D really burned alot of time. Oh well, atleast I have a rocker assembly that will handle anything.
How did that Victor work out? Make much more power than the GMPP intake?
Old 03-21-2009, 03:25 PM
FormerVendor

The larger engine is not always to make more power the larger the engine the more driveable it becomes "thats why we build them". Actually there is a very wise person named Stan Wiess he has independantly tested about 2,000 cylinder heads and according to his chart located here http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tablehdp.htm
A 454ci engine will use approximately 400 cfm at 8,080rpm so 400cfm is far more than enough head flow for a 454 actually some of the best big block heads available only flow 500cfm, and they are intended for engines 632ci. I have ran the PRC ls7 heads and the WCHH L92 and made over 700hp with both using a GMPP carb intake and a 950cfm carb. The best thing to do is take your cybic inch divive it by 8 and use the chart I provided. That will tell you how much head you need by what rpm you plan on spinning your engine....If you do not plan on 8000 rpm and a solid roller you dont need ported LS7 heads that flow 400cfm. If you have a 454ci engine thats 56.75 ci per cylinder and spin at 7000 it will use about 360cfm so anymore is a waste and a carb intake will not keep up with a 400cfm head anyway but it will move at least 360cfm. There is plenty of carbed and injected engines making 700hp using these intakes so that is proof they flow enough air. I just made 741hp with the new Edelbrock intake and WCCH ported L92's.

And to prove your theory 3time, that it does not take that much (relatively speaking) CFM to make big numbers on a big cube motor, here is an example:

Jon Kaase just put together a 589" (yes, 589", or 134 more inches than the 454") motor with a set of heads that flowed "just" 420 CFM, and the motor made 967 HP @ 6800 with a small cam.
Kaase said those heads will support over 600 CI and over 1000 HP NA, as cast.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

y not look into the new edelbrock intake?
Old 03-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gen414
Hey there 3time, how's it going? Long time no chat!! See you got your motor back together. What did you end up with rockers? I bought the T&D's (I might have already told ya, can't remember) My motor should FINALLY be on teh dyno @ mid April, hopefully. We did change some things up, and waiting as long as I did for the Yella's (almost 5 months) and then finally just going T&D really burned alot of time. Oh well, atleast I have a rocker assembly that will handle anything.
How did that Victor work out? Make much more power than the GMPP intake?
The victor and a 1" HVH spacer made a solid 8-10 lbft of tourque more from 2500-6000 and 38 more hp. Than the same combo with the GMPP. As for the rockers I ended up with Jesels. I am in the process of testing some cathedral ports on another 440 lsx tryin to find a set that will make the same power as the ported L92 from WCCH I have a pile of heads waiting to put on and try. I also want to test the new edelbrock intake ?
Old 03-21-2009, 08:44 PM
9 Second Club

The victor and a 1" HVH spacer made a solid 8-10 lbft of tourque more from 2500-6000 and 38 more hp. Than the same combo with the GMPP. As for the rockers I ended up with Jesels. I am in the process of testing some cathedral ports on another 440 lsx tryin to find a set that will make the same power as the ported L92 from WCCH I have a pile of heads waiting to put on and try. I also want to test the new edelbrock intake ?
good #'s, how much of the improvement came from the HVH spacer?
Old 03-21-2009, 09:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1cdub
good #'s, how much of the improvement came from the HVH spacer?
About 6-8hp at rpm's above 5000 only did not effect tourque at all I thought it was strange so I made another pass with the same results ? What changes have you made since you 9 sec passes ? did ever increase your cam size I have had great luck with the L92 heads and a 254/266 with a 111ls on the 440 and 454 engines.....I even messed around with the intake centerline when instlling them almost every cam I tried did not like more than 110 degrees ?
Old 03-21-2009, 09:08 PM
Launching!

whats up with the search engine ? WTF
Old 03-21-2009, 09:52 PM
9 Second Club

About 6-8hp at rpm's above 5000 only did not effect tourque at all I thought it was strange so I made another pass with the same results ? What changes have you made since you 9 sec passes ? did ever increase your cam size I have had great luck with the L92 heads and a 254/266 with a 111ls on the 440 and 454 engines.....I even messed around with the intake centerline when instlling them almost every cam I tried did not like more than 110 degrees ?
Finally fired it up yesterday and drove around a lil this morning....still waiting on my Percy's Speedglass so I had to use goggles..glad I live in the country. lol This winter I went a lil bigger with the cam...248/262 switched to a 255/271 on a 110 LSA and a 106 ICL. Also got rid of the heavy manley valves and put in some Ls3's. Also going to try the Crane adjustable rockers and a set of Morel link bar lifters this time around. I'm shooting for 9.6's. I plan to make some hits next weekend if the glass shows up. Thanks for all your great tech....good work.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:47 AM
FormerVendor

The victor and a 1" HVH spacer made a solid 8-10 lbft of tourque more from 2500-6000 and 38 more hp.

. I also want to test the new edelbrock intake ?

You got me confuse here.....you say teh victor made more power, than you later say you want to try teh new Edelbrock

Does Edelbrock have the Jr. out and a Sr. on teh way? Or is it just another version of teh Jr they are coming out with?

Anyways, cool, glad to hear you getting it all wrapped up. Well, I had teh GMPP, then sold it as I was going sheetmetal. Well, most classes do not allow sheetmetal, so I am gonna keep teh sheetmetal for when it is allowed, but I need a cast intake now as well. I did pick up another brand new GMPP intake for $50 (guy owed me some money, so we made up the difference)

I think my cam (have not gotten all the details from my machine shop) from what we talked about before is this: They spoke with Judson over at Sam. Somehow my guy Bruce knows Judson. Bruce has been doing this for like 35 years, so he knows alot of people, and has even worked with Bob and Billy Glidden and Marvin Shaw. In fact, Marvin's dyno is still at Bruce's place (USA Racing engines) and is what my motor will be dyno'ed on. Anyways, Bruce and Judson talked about something from Bullet Cams in teh 27x range @ .050 with .7xx lift on a 110. Now, if I knew teh exact #'s, I would share, but I don't know em yet.
They put my heads on a flow bench to see what is what, and we were in teh 350/260 CFM @ .650 with like 300 @ .500. I am heading up teh macine shop this week to check on things, and will grab flow sheet and see what they came up with on a cam. So, still at:
414", 12:1, '92's, solid roller, sheetmetal intake, 1050 Dominator, 1 7/8-2" stepped headers (may do away with teh 1 7/8" section of primary and go straight 2") to a 3.5" collector. Still hoping for 700+ FWHP

Shoot me a PM sometime when you get your cathedral heads done/motor wrapped. Curious how this all plays out....what chassis you got these motor's going in???
Old 03-22-2009, 08:51 AM
FormerVendor

. Also going to try the Crane adjustable rockers and a set of Morel link bar lifters this time around. .

I am not sure on what heads you have, but if those Crane's are for a L92 head, you might want to rethink that. The Crane's use a smallish type of hold down bolt. I think it is 3/8 if I am not mistaken. Just something to look into. That is why I went T&D, as I looked at teh Crane's but because teh hold down was so small, and since I am running alot of spring pressure, was scared of the 3/8/ In fact, I THINK it was 3time that told me about teh 3/8 hold down, as I had sent him a PM as we were BOTH trying to find adjustable rockers for the L92's, and not having much luck at the time. We both looked at Yella, T&D, Crane and Jesel....he ended up with Jesel, and I the T&D's.

Anyways, some food for thought.....

Edit: Teh reason I am assuming you need something more than a 3/8 hold down is in your sig you are a 9 sec NA player, so figure you have a pretty good amount of spring pressure as well. I could be wrong....
Old 03-22-2009, 09:26 AM
9 Second Club

Its still a hyd. with right at 150# seat pressure. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:31 AM
FormerVendor

Its still a hyd. with right at 150# seat pressure. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
You will be OK then. I was thinking you were running a solid.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:18 PM
Launching!

You got me confuse here.....you say teh victor made more power, than you later say you want to try teh new Edelbrock

Does Edelbrock have the Jr. out and a Sr. on teh way? Or is it just another version of teh Jr they are coming out with?

Anyways, cool, glad to hear you getting it all wrapped up. Well, I had teh GMPP, then sold it as I was going sheetmetal. Well, most classes do not allow sheetmetal, so I am gonna keep teh sheetmetal for when it is allowed, but I need a cast intake now as well. I did pick up another brand new GMPP intake for $50 (guy owed me some money, so we made up the difference)

I think my cam (have not gotten all the details from my machine shop) from what we talked about before is this: They spoke with Judson over at Sam. Somehow my guy Bruce knows Judson. Bruce has been doing this for like 35 years, so he knows alot of people, and has even worked with Bob and Billy Glidden and Marvin Shaw. In fact, Marvin's dyno is still at Bruce's place (USA Racing engines) and is what my motor will be dyno'ed on. Anyways, Bruce and Judson talked about something from Bullet Cams in teh 27x range @ .050 with .7xx lift on a 110. Now, if I knew teh exact #'s, I would share, but I don't know em yet.
They put my heads on a flow bench to see what is what, and we were in teh 350/260 CFM @ .650 with like 300 @ .500. I am heading up teh macine shop this week to check on things, and will grab flow sheet and see what they came up with on a cam. So, still at:
414", 12:1, '92's, solid roller, sheetmetal intake, 1050 Dominator, 1 7/8-2" stepped headers (may do away with teh 1 7/8" section of primary and go straight 2") to a 3.5" collector. Still hoping for 700+ FWHP

Shoot me a PM sometime when you get your cathedral heads done/motor wrapped. Curious how this all plays out....what chassis you got these motor's going in???
The new edelbrock the TX or XT pro thing looks like a sheet metal intake but its cast....Its an injection only intake. Thankts the one I was talking about.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Launching!

What rockers are you using now ? I like the cranes just the bolt is small and with the Yella's at least the shaft is tied together eliminating side flex and you have 2 bolts for support. I think that provides more support than a single bolt like the cranes ? I have used the jesel's but they needed alot of work to get the geometry right. At least right by my standards
Old 03-23-2009, 08:53 AM
FormerVendor

The new edelbrock the TX or XT pro thing looks like a sheet metal intake but its cast....Its an injection only intake. Thankts the one I was talking about.

Ah, ok. I have not heard about that one yet. Got any pics or links for it?

What rockers are you using now ? I like the cranes just the bolt is small and with the Yella's at least the shaft is tied together eliminating side flex and you have 2 bolts for support. I think that provides more support than a single bolt like the cranes ? I have used the jesel's but they needed alot of work to get the geometry right. At least right by my standards

Sad to hear about the Jesel's. I know (or pretty close anyways) what you paid for the Jesel, and shame that they still needed work
Old 03-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Ah, ok. I have not heard about that one yet. Got any pics or links for it?

Sad to hear about the Jesel's. I know (or pretty close anyways) what you paid for the Jesel, and shame that they still needed work
edelbrock 7139 for LS1
Old 03-24-2009, 07:36 AM
9 Second Club

I'll probably be getting the FAST once I see how others do with it when it finally comes out. As far as what to use for now, just use a ported stock one.
That's what I'm using, not that there's much choice with L92 heads and I've got a best of 9.59 so far with it.
Stocker is a restriction no doubt but for the price and performance-it's not that bad at all.
FWIW, my heads flowed right around 330 cfm through the intake.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:23 AM
FormerVendor

edelbrock 7139 for LS1

Cool, thanks. Funky looking thing. Supposed to make some power though, huh?

Originally Posted by tektrans
I
not that there's much choice with L92 heads

Yeah, right? When I bought my heads last year @ July or August, I knew there was not much to choose from intake wise. GMPP was teh only carb option. But, I thought...these heads are too good for companies not to make intake's rather quickly for 'em. Yeah, I was wrong

It had been so long, and since my motor was not together yet, I actually thought people knew something I did not, and the heads were actually junk or something. So, I posted a thread here on the site a couple months back asking, "Hey, why are no heavy hitters running the L92 head?" Again, thinking that someone ws gonna come on and say, "Well, the casting has a flaw" or something like that. When all I got from people was, "well, not really an intake option, or no rockers for it" I got even more confused, in that, OK this head can make some serious power, why is no one making an intake for it?

So, I thought about selling the heads there for awhile, but realized that for the money they are hard to touch, so I kept em. I do know when I build my other motor for drag radial classes, if no serious intake options are available by then, I will look into some catherdral ports. Just hoping that some stuff starts popping up
Old 03-24-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to be building a LSX 454 as well. I think that I'm going to use Marcella's or Beck's intakes. Either one looks like quality pieces, and I don't think you can go wrong with either.
I just like sheet metal intakes for the smooth bores vs. a cast that you have to smooth down to work. Plus with a sheet metal intake you can have it custom made to what you are looking for with your application and needs.

Good luck,

Can't wait to see what you decide.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:51 PM
9 Second Club

I think that he should give up on the 454 LSX and go back to the bad a$$ 30th anniv. SS he had. LOL!

Quick Reply: 454 lsx with cnc l92 heads, intake options?