Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FTP 100mm clear lid installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 01:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default FTP 100mm clear lid installed!!!

Well, I started real late today and I know it doesn't sound like I got a lot done, but I think I did.

I figured tomorrow since i'd be doing paint work. It only made sense to work on fitting my new lid to the hood while it was still on the car. Its a US Exotic WS9 Outlaw hood FYI.

First off I had to re-adjust the hood since I threw it back on Saturday for the car show. Next I set the new lid in place and had a time with tearing up the hood.

The whole idea behind this is so my clear lid doesn't get rubbed and scratched as well as a painted hood. I was careful, but needless to say my lid got scratched very slightly. What I did was lay on a some modeling clay on the lid and shut the hood to see where it was close or hitting.

I came up with this giant hole.

I need to indent that area so it wil clear and look factory. I'll use expanding foam to sand the shape and refiberglass it.

Now that I had solved that problem I realized my MTI clear lid was about to break. The MTI clear lids are known for this. Something to do with that hard plastic. The new FTP lid is flexible like Rubbermaid is. I got this lid to eventually replace the old when I got a TSP 100mm MAF. After that, it needs a retune so it all would cost me more than I can spare right now as i'm holding off for the paint job. I had to get the lid to test fit it though!

Soooo what I decided to do was install the new lid. Not easy when your lid has a 105mm ID opening and my stock MAF is about 85mm OD. What I did was cut up my Fernco smooth bellow and dremel'd it to fit like a glove. Then I trimmed the rest to fit the gap from my MAF to the TB. The lid doesn't have a hole for the IAT so I made a hole in the bellow for it. I also had to trim up the lower airbox for the diameter of the lid to fit better.

If your wondering where those scratches are, they aren't their anymore. I wet sanded them and buffed them out because it bothered me that my brand new lid was messed up.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
The new FTP lid is flexible like Rubbermaid is.
That is the most awesome part of the whole story IMO, lol. I wonder if the regular lids are the same material? Great write up and pics as well.

Larry
Old 06-02-2009, 06:51 AM
9 Second Club

Very nice install, looks Great!!
Old 06-02-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

holy crap that's a beautifull engine bay! i have a stupid question btw, what is that filter for that comes outta the valve cover on the passenger side? ive never asked asked until now.

i saw your car in the past when you were painting it and i was wondering what's the color again?
Old 06-02-2009, 01:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's awesome man. We are totaly on the same page! I got mine the same day as you and I plan on notching my hood to make it work. I got a black one because I was afraid of it hitting and scratching the clear one all up. Then I thought about notching the underside of the hood and molding in a split 5" pipe to clear. After seeing your pics I called fast toys yesterday and I'm sending mine back to get a clear one. Good job man and thanks for posting the pics!
Old 06-02-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by airforcemanss
holy crap that's a beautifull engine bay! i have a stupid question btw, what is that filter for that comes outta the valve cover on the passenger side? ive never asked asked until now.

i saw your car in the past when you were painting it and i was wondering what's the color again?

Thanks guys. Sorry the pics suck. They are from my BlackBerry.

That filter is my crankcase breather. I don't have a PCV system, so that replaced it.

Color is GTS Blue from the Viper.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:51 AM
12 Second Club

I see you have the taller WS6 lower airbox. Does it look like it would rub with the regular lower airbox camaros come with?
Old 07-05-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn bro your engine bay looks really good!!!
Old 07-06-2009, 06:35 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Any pics of the hood.... I'm curious to see how the outlaw version looks.