Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What parts do I need for this LS2 ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What parts do I need for this LS2 ?

I am having an LS2 engine from an '06 GTO installed in a 57 Chevy. The engine came in from the salvage yard (out of state) with no sensors for the exhaust. I know I don't need the ones for the pollution stuff, but I am told I will need the ones that go near the exhaust headers in order for the engine to run . I assume they should be installed when the exhaust pipes are installed. If this is correct, what do I need and what do I tell the muffler shop guys to do ? Also the cold air intake has nothing there except tape covering it. Isn't there a sensor of some sort that goes there along with a filter ? If so, what do I need there ? I am having the wiring harness and computer reworked for this application. Is there anything I should tell those guys ? I'm mostly concerned only with things that will effect the engines ability to perform correctly such as the above things, but I'm sure there are other things I should know so any suggestions are appreciated.
Tom
Old 09-06-2009, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An LS2 comes with 4 oxygen sensors. The two front ones are for the engine. It reads the Air fuel ratio and outputs a signal to the computer telling it to give more or less fuel to the engine.

The rear two oxygen sensors are for catalyic convertors, they tell the computer if the the cats are working or not. If the rear oxygen sensors are mimicing the front oxygen sensors(fast moving), then the cat is not working. If they are moving slow, then the cat is working correctly. Most people do delete these rear oxygen sensors, via the tune, because they have dont have cats.

Yes you need to have the exhaust guys weld in the oxygen sensor bungs into each exhaust header/manifold collector. Like on this page; http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...rd=bung+oxygen

Before the throttle body is the Mass Aiflow Sensor (MAF), it looks something like this, and is fairly expencive.

I had my swap wiring harness for my truck made for me, just like your going to have made. I got mine from a place called Current Performance, he does great work.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Where should the front oxygen sensors be mounted ? Should they be in the exhaust pipe just after they bolt up to the headers, or in the header itself ? These are what I would call medium length tight hugger headers. They end before the rear of the engine. I guess what I need to know is whether the placement is critical.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Close to the front, typically in the collector of the header. Any competent exhaust shop will know this. You can see the oxygen sensor bungs near the end of the header where all the pipes merge together at the collector

Old 09-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Teching In

That 's what I needed to know. I would hope the exhaust shop knows where to locate the bung, but just in case I know what to tell them. Thanks for your responses.
Tom
Old 09-08-2009, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

You can get bungs at almost any parts store so you shouldn't have any issues with that.
Do you have both of the knock sensors? There should be one on each side of the block held on with one bolt each. They aren't necessary, but can help with tuning.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:25 AM
Teching In

The bungs are being sent with the headers so there isn't an issue there. I am going today to pick up the front oxy sensors. What are the knock sensors for, what do they do, and where exactly are they located ? I haven't seen them, but I may have looked at them and didn't know it. Also, on each side of the cold air intake there is a small metal tube that looks like a vacuum line and the ends are open like something should attach to it. What is that ?
Old 12-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

Wink What do I need

I dont want to hi-jack the thread, but I'm doing the same sort of thing. I have a bear LS2 long block and need every thing else, So far I got off the forum:
LS2 intake and fuel rail and injectors
water pump
flywheel , clutch and pressure plate
alternator bracket (not sure its the right one though)
steam vent line
maybe an engine wiring harness ( sale is pending shipping cost)
Vic Jr intake with injection features (which I now do not need and need to resale)
from the local Pic-a-part:
a power steering pump and alternator (but not from an LS1 or 2 but looks like I can fab brackets to make these work (its a track car, no points for looking good, fast is all that counts)
Things I know I need:
engine sensors
coil packs and brackets
Exhaust headers
computer
cable driven throttle body
MAF
Wiring diagram so I know where all these wires go
Things I don't know I need, but will need:
Please feel free to fill in.

Quick Reply: What parts do I need for this LS2 ?