Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which Intake should I get?
Vic Jr
21.43%
Fast 102
78.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Which Intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009 | 02:26 PM
Restricted User

Default Which Intake

I'm setting up a high revving NA combo and haven't decided which intake would be best. I have been leaning towards a Tony Mamo ported Fast 102 but I have been looking at a Vic Jr as well. The car will be street driven and run on pump gas. What do you guys think I should do?
Old 10-20-2009 | 02:33 PM
11 Second Club

victor jr is better looking!!!i have beer goggles
Old 10-20-2009 | 02:47 PM
Restricted User

Forgot to mention that the setup is going in a C5
Old 10-20-2009 | 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How is the hood clearance for the victor jr on a c5? Keep in mind you will have to fit an elbow under there as well, that's going to be your restriction in the long run, some of the lower profile ones don't flow as well.
Old 10-21-2009 | 07:15 PM
Flow Wizard

Stumbled on this thread quickly and thought I would offer my nickels worth of free advice...

ANY single plane intake with a 90' elbow forced to clear a factory hood is a LOSER.....cant tell you how many disappointing results that recipe has produced.

The few that "worked" were in high RPM aggressive applications with the TB mounted direct to the intake like it was originally designed to do....and some boosted apps making big power but my argument there was it could have make 40 more with a TB mounted to the top of the flange or perhaps a different intake altogether.

IMO the OP has four choices in his particular application....and I list them in the natural order of their effectiveness

Stock OEM Intake
Ported OEM Intake
Stock FAST 102
Properly ported FAST 102

I think the more time digging you do, the more you will appreciate what I quickly summed up for you....now its more of a choice of how much you want to spend the get the extra 10 or 20 a FAST (or ported FAST) can offer.

-Tony
Old 10-21-2009 | 07:27 PM
Restricted User

Thanks for the input Tony.
Old 11-14-2009 | 09:38 PM
Teching In

I personally am going with the ported FAST. Thanks Tony!
Old 11-14-2009 | 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stock LS3 hands down
Old 11-17-2009 | 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Stumbled on this thread quickly and thought I would offer my nickels worth of free advice...

ANY single plane intake with a 90' elbow forced to clear a factory hood is a LOSER.....cant tell you how many disappointing results that recipe has produced.

The few that "worked" were in high RPM aggressive applications with the TB mounted direct to the intake like it was originally designed to do....and some boosted apps making big power but my argument there was it could have make 40 more with a TB mounted to the top of the flange or perhaps a different intake altogether.

IMO the OP has four choices in his particular application....and I list them in the natural order of their effectiveness

Stock OEM Intake
Ported OEM Intake
Stock FAST 102
Properly ported FAST 102

I think the more time digging you do, the more you will appreciate what I quickly summed up for you....now its more of a choice of how much you want to spend the get the extra 10 or 20 a FAST (or ported FAST) can offer.

-Tony
I just want to second what Tony said. I have half of the proof, and hereis my two cents.

I am one of those that installed a single plane intake with a Edelbroke utlra low profile elbow with a Fast 92mm TB, the one in my sign. This was put on my built 408, ls3 ported heads, 230/240 114 600 lift cam, eagle crank and rods, Ross piston making 10.25:1 compression, LT headers, 3600 stall, and 3.73 gears and SD tune. The old engine was the stock 346 with a MS3 cam, LS6 intkake, 78mm TB and stock MAF, and the same LT headers, trans, converter, and rear end, same weight car. The old setup would run 12.80's all day NA (we are at 4000 feet here). Now I put my new engine in and tune it. It cuts 12.70's,,,,, .10 second faster time!!!!! What a waist of $11,000 right! I have checked everything, tune, cam timing, compression, pushrod length, fuel system, you name it, I checked it. The only thing I can find to point to anything is on my scan logs. The manifold pressure will start out at 95kpa when you first nail the throttle but by the time I get to 6500rpm the manifold pressure is down to 85kpa, so it is building vacuum as the engine climbs in rpm. The car feals like it is laying down on the top end as well. I believe the elbow is killing the intake. I will be able to prove this in the next few weeks. I might have just waisted another $300, I just ordered a new LS3 manifold to replace the single plane intake. I will post my results.

Side note, I now have the rear mounted GT-88 on it. I am hoping the LS3 will help the bottom end and help to reduce my turbo lag, and let the turbo take care off the top end.

Tony, do you think I am waisting my money going to the LS3 manifold?

Quick Reply: Which Intake