Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAST 102mm manifold: Painted!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the comments all. I will definitely keep you (LSWNDR) posted on what gains I get from this setup. I hope to have it tuned around the 1st week or so of December. Just waiting on the manifold to get ported.

Austin, great price on the paint work!
Old 11-20-2009, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dsrour
Do you know what kind of paint is used by Katech and how it is applied?
No, but mine looks similar.

Since I wanted a more stealthy appearance, I used Rustoleum Satin Textured (spray can from Lowe's @ $4.79 ) for a paint texture that emulates the original granular finish on the manifold's top.

I washed the top in warm dish detergent, rinsed it off in warm water and dried it with compressed air. I laid it on a rack in the sun to warm it up a bit, then sprayed it while it was still warm. After allowing it to dry overnight, I added another coat.

It seems to be a really durable finish.
Attached Thumbnails FAST 102mm manifold:  Painted!-mvc-001f.jpg   FAST 102mm manifold:  Painted!-mvc-002f.jpg   FAST 102mm manifold:  Painted!-mvc-003f.jpg  
Old 11-20-2009, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by scatillac
No, but mine looks similar.

Since I wanted a more stealthy appearance, I used Rustoleum Satin Textured (spray can from Lowe's @ $4.79 ) for a paint texture that emulates the original granular finish on the manifold's top.

I washed the top in warm dish detergent, rinsed it off in warm water and dried it with compressed air. I laid it on a rack in the sun to warm it up a bit, then sprayed it while it was still warm. After allowing it to dry overnight, I added another coat.

It seems to be a really durable finish.

Damn man, you suck! J/K! Your manifold came out great! It looks really good. I guess the moral of the story here is, live and learn, and don't be afraid to try something yourself...

Thanks for posting that up for everyone else, so they can do it and save a bunch of $$.

Later!
Old 11-21-2009, 07:43 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1Bad'66
Damn man, you suck! J/K! Your manifold came out great! It looks really good. I guess the moral of the story here is, live and learn, and don't be afraid to try something yourself...

Thanks for posting that up for everyone else, so they can do it and save a bunch of $$.

Later!
haha. dude-your manifold looks GREAT! Stop beating yourself up.
I would be apprehensive about rattle canning a nearly $1000 intake myself.
Just ENJOY the damn thing, hahaha
Old 11-21-2009, 08:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

I agree.
I purchased one last month and am going to have my builder paint it.(or now look into powdercoat!)
After spending that kind of coin for a manifold and then cover it with shaker can paint- well, I just can't do it.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:40 AM
Launching!

The top shell of the LSx manifold won't withstand 350 degress or so of conventional powder coating. Perhaps there is a low temp coating available.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yea, that's what I said.
http://www.thepowdercoater.com/galle...ls.php?album=3
http://www.thepowderpro.com/gallery/?level=album&id=5
Old 11-21-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They cant do it the conventional way since you cant magnetize plastic. I believe that they heat them up to a certain degree, then coat them, then put them back in the oven to cook.

Last edited by JeaneZ28; 11-21-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tektrans
I would be apprehensive about rattle canning a nearly $1000 intake myself.
It's just simple chemistry. You select a paint that won't attack the material, that is within the temperature tolerance needed, and that will adhere properly.

They told me that it had to be prepped, scuffed, and broken down to be painted...I hope I didn't get killed on it.
In defense of Katech, labor is not cheap, especially at their level. It took some time to disassemble, prep, paint and reassemble the manifold. I'm certain that it's a quality job and that you won't have any problems with it.

The painting expense that I saved paid for my Powrmax MAF and new intake setup. Although it's a matter of preference, I don't spend a lot on cosmetic stuff. If it doesn't produce results, it's not there.

In the end, what counts most, though, is that you are happy with it.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by scatillac
It's just simple chemistry. You select a paint that won't attack the material, that is within the temperature tolerance needed, and that will adhere properly.

In defense of Katech, labor is not cheap, especially at their level. It took some time to disassemble, prep, paint and reassemble the manifold. I'm certain that it's a quality job and that you won't have any problems with it.

The painting expense that I saved paid for my Powrmax MAF and new intake setup. Although it's a matter of preference, I don't spend a lot on cosmetic stuff. If it doesn't produce results, it's not there.

In the end, what counts most, though, is that you are happy with it.

Well said Carl. Thanks again!
Old 11-21-2009, 12:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sure we could have used a rattle can from Walmart and just sprayed the manifold, but that's not our style. We have a reputation to uphold. We disassembled the manifold, washed, taped off every bolt hole, throttle body opening, plugged vacuum ports, prepped and painted in the booth with a gun, then re-assembled. It took us exactly 4 hours at $55/hr labor rate. $50 for materials. $270 total.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Katech did an excellent job and for not that much money. I paid more than that to have mine professionally done, they could be charging a lot more. As they said this is not a rattle can paint job but a properly prepped and painted intake. Rattle can paint jobs scratch very easily and are not as durable.

Some of you guys really have no idea what it takes to properly prepare and paint. Kudos for doing it for under $300 to Katech !
Old 11-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Launching!

Is the top shell of the LSX 102's different from other FAST manifolds. Its no problem powder coating the stock manifolds which are done by the "hot flock"
method and they have no trouble with cure heat of 350ish.
The FAST's are made of different type of plastic and the top shell is quite thin and a different material than bottom pieces. It will not take 350 degrees according to FAST.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They must have changed what they use then, because I have powder coated a ton of FAST manifolds for people on here at this point. FAST claimed their manifolds would take 650 degrees previously. I cure them at 375 with no problems.

FYI I charge $180 shipped to coat them, and that includes either having the letters done in an accent color and then the intake cleared, or shaving the letters off.

Plenty of pics in this album on my site
http://thepowderpro.com/gallery/?level=album&id=5
Old 11-21-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
They must have changed what they use then, because I have powder coated a ton of FAST manifolds for people on here at this point. FAST claimed their manifolds would take 650 degrees previously. I cure them at 375 with no problems.

FYI I charge $180 shipped to coat them, and that includes either having the letters done in an accent color and then the intake cleared, or shaving the letters off.

Plenty of pics in this album on my site
http://thepowderpro.com/gallery/?level=album&id=5
Looks like you can start charging a little more
Old 11-22-2009, 06:17 PM
Motorboater

Originally Posted by Haans249
Looks like you can start charging a little more
I could, but I'm fine with that price. I'd rather point out that for less money with me, you get a beautiful finish, and one that is far superior to paint in durability
Old 11-22-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I talked with Sean yesterday, if my LSXr 102 can take it. He will get my business.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Teching In

looks good. i painted my 92mm black aswell. IMO it beats the gray color hands down
Old 11-23-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

wow you got ripped - sorry
Old 11-23-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

manifold looks good, you plan on doing some dyno results after the install?

Quick Reply: FAST 102mm manifold: Painted!