Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anybody heard of this sheetmetal intake company?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 04:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
A Victor Jr with an Accufab 4150 throttle body and a Carb hat fits under a stock hood, or a flat VFN hood anyway, I have it.
Didn't you post a pic of that awhile back? Can you post that again so I can see how it fits. I have a factory SS camaro hood and would like to keep it.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like some cutting is involved unless there is a different setup?

Originally Posted by bpowell688
This is my 408 victor jr and accufab 4bbl

Old 01-04-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
I really like a sheetmetal intake but if a plastic intake will make the same power, then I'm all about value. Here's what I have read here correct me if I'm wrong. An ls7 breathes well and there is no gain with a 102 FAST. I am not using ls7 heads so this means nothing to me. Guys that are using l76/ls3 intakes are porting them and finding equal or more power than a FAST. That doesn't help me either, I can just get a ported ls3. Guys have gone to carb style intakes and found more power with a little loss down lower that is not much to be concerned about. Sheetmetal intakes such as Beck and Marcella tend to keep up with the carb style without cutting your car up, the draw back is the price.

I was looking for an alternative to spending a buttload of cash but make good power in the process, thats how I came across the company I posted earlier. I also found that TPIS makes sheetmetal intakes for ls motors. They are up there also in price.

I need something that will be the best bang for my buck. Not worried about the street too much about down low. Thats what gears and stalls are for. I will drive it to work once in awhile which is 3 miles one way. It will see cruise duty maybe 30 miles to New Orleans. I have friends who have driven this distance with a way more wilder setups than I am going with. Help me out here, SHEETMETAL or PLASTIC OEM intake?
This question is easily answered by answering the following question:

What max RPM are you aiming for?
Old 01-04-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Didn't you post a pic of that awhile back? Can you post that again so I can see how it fits. I have a factory SS camaro hood and would like to keep it.
Here ya go:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...tock-hood.html
Old 01-04-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
It looks like some cutting is involved unless there is a different setup?
No kidding? My set up is very similar and yes the cowl needs to be cut; but the wiper is retained as is the flat hood. But it gets filtered air into a 4BBL throttle body and single plane intake. I'll take mine over that Wilson manifold anyday.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the design of the precision metalcraft intake, but hate the price... It was on a featured 67 chevy II in super chevy magazine... That is a picture of the article.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
No kidding? My set up is very similar and yes the cowl needs to be cut; but the wiper is retained as is the flat hood. But it gets filtered air into a 4BBL throttle body and single plane intake. I'll take mine over that Wilson manifold anyday.
Not once did you see or have you seen me say the Wilson was better than a bbl setup did you?

I said it fits under the hood without altering and retained the long runner design so there was no loss as associated with regular sheet metal intakes. That is all I said.

Some people don't want to alter their car and so even just cutting the cowling a little is unacceptable. So they have a plastic intake or if they are looking for the ultimate in showmanship without performance loss then they have other options.

I didn't take the meaning of this thread from the OP to be what was better but what other options are there ? Since he was looking at a $2650 intake I didn't think I was out of line by showing him the Wilson.

Some people seem to have a problem with that ? Not sure why but what ever. If we didn't present options then how are people to know whats out there?

So what if a person wants all that bling and has the money to pay for it. That is their decision and what makes us all different so we should all respect what each wants to do.

But I have to ask this with your setup:
You do take the hat off when you race though so its a restriction right?
How much of a restriction is it? Have you raced with and without? what was the difference?
Old 01-04-2010, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not once did you see or have you seen me say the Wilson was better than a bbl setup did you?

I said it fits under the hood without altering and retained the long runner design so there was no loss as associated with regular sheet metal intakes. That is all I said.

Some people don't want to alter their car and so even just cutting the cowling a little is unacceptable. So they have a plastic intake or if they are looking for the ultimate in showmanship without performance loss then they have other options.

I didn't take the meaning of this thread from the OP to be what was better but what other options are there ? Since he was looking at a $2650 intake I didn't think I was out of line by showing him the Wilson.

Some people seem to have a problem with that ? Not sure why but what ever. If we didn't present options then how are people to know whats out there?

So what if a person wants all that bling and has the money to pay for it. That is their decision and what makes us all different so we should all respect what each wants to do.

But I have to ask this with your setup:
You do take the hat off when you race though so its a restriction right?
How much of a restriction is it? Have you raced with and without? what was the difference?
You don't need to defend yourself Chris, your points are well made and valid, period.

It just sounds like the OP wouldn't really benefit from having the Wilson Billet if his motor isn't a high revving solid roller. The Wilson is certainly a VERY nice piece, but probably not right for what he's looking for. But, like you said, if he does have the money for the bling, you certainly couldn't beat it haha! I just wish they made more power over a plastic intake to make that price tag a little more palatable, but you gotta pay to play (or bling).
Old 01-05-2010, 01:30 AM
Banned

I'm with you on that Haans, I'd have one as well but my money went for a ported LS7 intake. We're going to push the limits on it with my build and see what we get. I wish we had more options but right now there isnt a whole lot. I know Richard at WCCH is working on a design in his spare time (spare time ...hahahaha) so maybe we'll see something in the future that fits under the hood and flows the air needed at higher rpms for these big engines. There just isnt a whole lot of room under that darn hood
Old 01-05-2010, 02:03 AM
TECH Veteran

99blancoss I see and understand your points. Don't know if the OP was looking for a which is better either, but for old school muscle looks it works. Maybe not "bling" so to say but there you have it.
I have not been to a track with it yet so no the hat has not been off. I think the 1 3/4" headers and 2.5" dual exhaust are more of a restriction though so dual DMH cutouts are on deck.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:16 AM
Banned

Its cool I like your setup. Is that heat tape on there?

I could make that vic pop as well though by having it polished and going with a polished tb on top. In fact I have an rpm airgap for my 79 z28 sitting here that I had polished. I like a little under the hood to go with my HP.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by badss_02
I really like the design of the precision metalcraft intake, but hate the price... It was on a featured 67 chevy II in super chevy magazine... That is a picture of the article.
If you hate the price, then you really don't want to look at a Beck or Marcella. They were one of the cheaper company's and TPIS only has them beat with a price of 2400 bucks.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Its cool I like your setup. Is that heat tape on there?

I could make that vic pop as well though by having it polished and going with a polished tb on top. In fact I have an rpm airgap for my 79 z28 sitting here that I had polished. I like a little under the hood to go with my HP.
Yes, reflective aluminum tape over seriously ghetto 4" dryer duct and adjustable elbows.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:54 PM
TECH Veteran

^^^^If it does the job, 'nuff said.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Launching!

Since there's a lot of discussion here about intakes I can't afford I'll through Hogans Racing Manifolds name out there.
I went with a fast on TFS heads and ended up at 600hp. It peaks around 6200 but pulls hard to 7000rpm.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:26 AM
Banned

No on the L92, maybe in the future but not right now.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Oh well that sucks. I found a member on here selling an l76 with fuel rail and all with a direct port plumbed in for 1200 so I think I am going to go that route.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:46 AM
Banned

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I have seen a few setup with a super victor and an elbow. I was talking to the owner of WCCH ( sorry but I forgot his name, I feel bad about that now lol) and he was telling me how the OEM intakes dont leave much to be desired at the top of the RPM (or something like that) so I was thinking of one of these svj and an elbow. Right now I have a ls3 intake with a fast 90mm tb, as for the heads it looks like I will be doing the WCCH l92 heads.

Which intake would you guys sufggest and why?
Old 03-09-2010, 06:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that company you posted has an l92 intake and when you buy it it comes with fuel rails look right here
http://www.precision-metalcraft.com/...rice_list.html

Quick Reply: Has anybody heard of this sheetmetal intake company?