Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ported L76 vs Ported Fast 102

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 12:19 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

the issue was always the 6.0-6.2L which is the engine it was designed for.

I'd already own a new FAST if they made big gains over the LS3 intake on stock cubes. So far I've seen more losses than gains. Just goes to show how good the stock LS3 intake design is for 6.0-6.2L displacement.

I have seen many threads with NICE gains from the WCCH ported L92 castings though I haven't seen anyone lose going with those heads. Well done on that one boys
Old 03-07-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The intake ports on the WCCH Stage 3 heads are so big it didn't make any sense to bolt up the FAST without first port matching it. But that was all that was done initially. The big gains were Shawn's liberal massaging of the intake and adding the 107mm NW TB.

Everybody wants to know how the FAST works on their motor...Here's an idea. Belly up to the bar and pull your wallet out and put one on. The problem around here is everyone wants to be seen as an innovator but few have the ***** to do it first. Shawn and I didn't know how the FAST would turn out on my motor. Shawn spent a lot of time and I spent a reasonably sum to give it a try. Turns out it worked after Shawn attacked it.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:44 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

WKMND While I completely agree that your build is amazing, and you made gains with the FAST 102, and you should be very proud of the entire build its killer.

Belly up to the bar and pull your wallet out and put one on. The problem around here is everyone wants to be seen as an innovator but few have the ***** to do it first.
I think the above quote is insane thinking anyone should lay out a GRAND on a part thats supposed to be an upgrade over stock but just isnt so. The FAST 90 was worth an effortless 20+rwhp on LS1 builds. No black art porting, no mad science cam selection. Just bolt in on and in practically every single instance on a stock cube or big cube cathedral port LS1 it made a very noticeable gain in power. In my opinion it was still very expensive for the amount it gained but I cannot argue that it didnt work and that it made gains consistently. This is what a performance part upgrade is suposed to do. Bolt it on and make more power the R&D should be done and the results should be practically certain.

Now the FAST 102mm comes along with sooooooooooooo much initial hype and excitement from us. Everyone was speculating and waiting for it and even GMhightech articles were begging for it! Then it arrives whoooooo hooooo!!! A bunch of guys already waiting "belly up to the bar" and buy one and drop it on a stock displacement LS3 and guess what? LOSE POWER! How the heck did that happen? To me its lunacy suggesting that anyone buy one with plans of putting it on a stock 6.0 or 6.2L considering that there are no gains to be had. Then to add insult to injury you'd be forced to spend countless more hours and dollars wrestling around with the intake and cam swaps just to make a part work like its supposed too???

Ummm ya no thanks.

If FAST wants my money I want it to work without any effort on my behalf. Heck if you bought a complete Procharger kit and LOST POWER would you be happy? Not me thats for sure. Nor would anyone. If I pay for it I want it to work its quite simple.

These new FAST102'sjust do not show any consistent gains at all on stock displacement engines. Im sorry for anyone that this offends its not my fault this happened I didnt design the damn thing Im just not going to be buying the cursed pos.

If anyone else wants to belly up and buy one by all means I'd like to see what cams ( if any? ) actually make this thing work well on stock cube LS3's and the like. Otherwise FAST wont be seeing a nickle out of me

Old 03-07-2010, 01:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much for one of these Ported Intakes from VA Speed?
Old 03-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CAM......Where did you read that a FAST 102, for LS3 heads, Lost power on any engine??? I personally have not seen any QUALITY comparisons where the intake actually LOST power. Let me see where, Or who you are getting this info from.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:32 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by formula17
CAM......Where did you read that a FAST 102, for LS3 heads, Lost power on any engine??? I personally have not seen any QUALITY comparisons where the intake actually LOST power. Let me see where, Or who you are getting this info from.

First off go search back to the debut of the FAST 90mm and read those threads. QUALITY comparisons that seem so important to you were not the majority of thread on the intake but the threads all shared one thing in common. "FAST 90mm makes solid gains!" and the like. The only whiners were guys bitching about the price. So far theres been a lot of not so great feedback on the LSXR on stock/small cube builds on stock L92 heads. Thats enough for me if its not for you? Go buy one and let us know how you make out.

Theres some real good info in this thread linked below from some very reputable folks. In addition theres lots of info out there that I stumbled upon over the last month but its not because i wanted to start a thread reviewing the intake. I just wanted to see what go fast parts were worth buying for a stock cube LS3 build and the LSXR is not one of the things worth buying from the info I found on over a dozen boards.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...pointment.html

Want more info? Use the search I gain nothing from doing your homework for you. Its your money
Old 03-07-2010, 04:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys can debate this stuff all day long but the fact is that the FAST intake is a better piece than the ls3 intake.If it was not a better piece,it would not have been capable of making more hp.Just because it does not come out of the box better,does not make it a better intake.What does make it a better intake is that it has the ability to be made better fairly easily-you cannot put a 107mm tb or port the entire runner or change runner length on the ls3 intake without major work-you sure can on the FAST.

I never read anywhere the intake was designed for stock 6.0-6.2 engines.But it was designed to be better,which they succeeded in.

If an engine does not want or need more air-putting on a different intake isn't going to help-even if it as sheetmetal intake with twin tb's.

last but not least-for anyone that thinks you can just bolt on parts and go fast-you have alot to learn-if it was that easy,everybody would go fast.Parts are make for a wide variety of applications,they cannot possibly make one part that will work good on everthing-that is why we must modify them for our application.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:29 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

I never read anywhere the intake was designed for stock 6.0-6.2 engines
Thats exactly what it should have been designed for if they planned to ever sell numbers of these things like the FAST 90. Who in their right mind would design an intake for 7.0L+ LS engines only when theres a mere handful of market for Z06 7.0L and custom big cube L92 builds compared to a HUUUGE market for L92 trucks and LS3 cars not to mention 6.0L L92 headed combos running 24x PCM's and on and on. Surely FAST wants to sell these things one would have to think and the 6-6.2L is by far the large majority of the market out there.

All in all it sure looks like GM has designed a HELLOFA dam fine piece in the L76/LS3 intake. Thank you Aussies!!!

Anyways the fact remains that the LSXR does make gains on big cubes so if I ever build a bigger cube engine I'd consider it, but until then I'll be pleased with my LS3 piece and the peace of mind that comes with it
Old 03-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cam
First off go search back to the debut of the FAST 90mm and read those threads. QUALITY comparisons that seem so important to you were not the majority of thread on the intake but the threads all shared one thing in common. "FAST 90mm makes solid gains!" and the like. The only whiners were guys bitching about the price. So far theres been a lot of not so great feedback on the LSXR on stock/small cube builds on stock L92 heads. Thats enough for me if its not for you? Go buy one and let us know how you make out.

Theres some real good info in this thread linked below from some very reputable folks. In addition theres lots of info out there that I stumbled upon over the last month but its not because i wanted to start a thread reviewing the intake. I just wanted to see what go fast parts were worth buying for a stock cube LS3 build and the LSXR is not one of the things worth buying from the info I found on over a dozen boards.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...pointment.html

Want more info? Use the search I gain nothing from doing your homework for you. Its your money
First off Im not trying to start another debate on this thing, All I asked for was where you were getting this info that the intake lost hp. I have been following this intake since DAY 1, A LOT longer then your 1 month, So I don't need to use the search button. Second that link there is the STUPIDEST comparison on the intake. I agree with you 10000% that putting this intake on a stock LS3 is not worth the money. If it were me I'd have the stocker ported, BUT I dont have a stock size engine so I DID buy one for my 427 LS3. MY point is that their is no feasible way this intake will LOSE hp in any application and Im tired of hearing that line, It's just regurgitated bullshit. Like was said by Virginia speed, The Fast intake is a superior intake in design and allows for more modification than the stocker can. Its all about how much time and money you are willing to put into your project to get all the hp thats on the table.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:24 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Its all about how much time and money you are willing to put into your project to get all the hp thats on the table.
True enough. The game is simple. How fast do you want to spend?

As for regurgitated bullshit? Maybe... But I cant see any reason anyone would post something like that unless they were just plain pissed I know I would post like crazy if I bought one and it was crap and naysayers would say it was bullshit but hey its an open forum people can take whatever they want from these threads. Good info or bull **** the choice is each of ours alone.

So even getting passed that it wont lose power over the stocker. If it only gains 5+5 thats hella pricey hp. Louis made some great posts in that thread I linked too and hes not bull ****. Hes the ****
Old 03-08-2010, 05:52 PM
LS1 Tech Administrator

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I personally know the guys at Comp that designed the FAST LSXR intake for L92/LS3 heads. I do know for a fact that all of their testing was performed on 6.0L and 6.2L engines running stock cams. Their gains of 14hp were on an engine dyno.

Just to put all this debate to rest, I have ponied up the $$ and I am installing a FAST 102 onto my bolt-on 6.0L G8 this week. I have dyno sheets for the stock LS3 intake manifold and a ported LS3 intake. I will re-dyno the ported LS3 intake manifold for this test, then install the stock FAST 102 on the dyno. I will report the results. Both manifolds will be tuned for best power. You will only see the power gains/loss from the intake.

2013 Corvette Grand Sport A6 LME forged 416, Greg Good ported TFS 255 LS3 heads, 222/242 .629"/.604" 121LSA Pat G blower cam, ARH 1 7/8" headers, ESC Novi 1500 Supercharger w/8 rib direct drive conversion, 747rwhp/709rwtq on 93 octane, 801rwhp/735rwtq on race fuel, 10.1 @ 147.25mph 1/4 mile, 174.7mph Half Mile.
2016 Corvette Z51 M7 Magnuson Heartbeat 2300 supercharger, TSP LT headers, Pat G tuned, 667rwhp, 662rwtq, 191mph TX Mile.
2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT 6.0L, A6, AFR 230v2 heads. 506rwhp/442rwtq. 11.413 @ 121.29mph 1/4 mile, 168.7mph TX Mile
2000 Pewter Ram Air Trans Am M6 heads/cam 508 rwhp/445 rwtq SAE, 183.092 TX Mile
2022 Cadillac Escalade 6.2L A10 S&B CAI, Corsa catback.
2023 Corvette 3LT Z51 soon to be modified.
Custom LSX tuning in person or via email press here.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Patrick,

That right there is why you are well respected in the LS community.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:00 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

That sounds much more like it. What throttle body/ies will you be using?
Old 03-08-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Regular

******* A PAT G!!!!! Who doesn't want to see the guru jesus of Ls-Cars go to work an bust the ***** of this oh so spoken POS... Ever since this intake hit the shelves i personally haven't seen anything on this FAST LSXR worth talking about other than kids debating he said/she said comparisons on other peoples ****. So now for those who all have opinions positive/negative finally it will be shown which are true and false from a reputable stand up guy from our mighty fine Ls-Community! WooWoo you go Pat G wow us please before anyone else goes pissing away money an blaming it on Fast again...

Last edited by LSWNDR; 03-08-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:45 PM
LS1 Tech Administrator

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
That sounds much more like it. What throttle body/ies will you be using?
Stock unported 90mm GM throttle body. No tricks.

2013 Corvette Grand Sport A6 LME forged 416, Greg Good ported TFS 255 LS3 heads, 222/242 .629"/.604" 121LSA Pat G blower cam, ARH 1 7/8" headers, ESC Novi 1500 Supercharger w/8 rib direct drive conversion, 747rwhp/709rwtq on 93 octane, 801rwhp/735rwtq on race fuel, 10.1 @ 147.25mph 1/4 mile, 174.7mph Half Mile.
2016 Corvette Z51 M7 Magnuson Heartbeat 2300 supercharger, TSP LT headers, Pat G tuned, 667rwhp, 662rwtq, 191mph TX Mile.
2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT 6.0L, A6, AFR 230v2 heads. 506rwhp/442rwtq. 11.413 @ 121.29mph 1/4 mile, 168.7mph TX Mile
2000 Pewter Ram Air Trans Am M6 heads/cam 508 rwhp/445 rwtq SAE, 183.092 TX Mile
2022 Cadillac Escalade 6.2L A10 S&B CAI, Corsa catback.
2023 Corvette 3LT Z51 soon to be modified.
Custom LSX tuning in person or via email press here.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:52 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Patrick G
WHOOT!!!!
Old 03-08-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Patrick G
When you do get the results and post up, if you could, link your thread to all these other threads so that none of us who have been following miss it. Thanks
Old 03-08-2010, 07:57 PM
11 Second Club

I have dyno sheets for the stock LS3 intake manifold and a ported LS3 intake. I will re-dyno the ported LS3 intake manifold for this test, then install the stock FAST 102 on the dyno.
Who's ported LS3 intake are you using?
Old 03-09-2010, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, Im at a crossroad here. I planned on going with this intake, and a nw 102 t.b. and having my stock 243's ported. total cost close to 2,000.00 bucks. Or plan B. = A new pair of L92's, and getting the L76 intake and having it ported ,and running my stock ported t.b. around 1800.00 tops.

Which route would yield me more power with my other mods?

How much better does the fast 102 outflow my ported LS2 intake?
Old 03-09-2010, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 06blackGTO
Okay, Im at a crossroad here. I planned on going with this intake, and a nw 102 t.b. and having my stock 243's ported. total cost close to 2,000.00 bucks. Or plan B. = A new pair of L92's, and getting the L76 intake and having it ported ,and running my stock ported t.b. around 1800.00 tops.

Which route would yield me more power with my other mods?

How much better does the fast 102 outflow my ported LS2 intake?
You are very confused, the intake that is being discussed is the LS3/L76 version. It does not work on your 243 heads, FAST does have a new 102 version for your heads I believe.

Quick Reply: Ported L76 vs Ported Fast 102