Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Density Tune Vs MAF Tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tektrans
If you're gonna drive it regularly the maf tune is the better way to go imo. This way the maf can adjust to temp/air changes and will idle and drive better.
Why are you talking rubbish!?

What is the IAT sensor for?

Why is there millions of Hemi's running speed density!?
Old 05-23-2010, 04:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ringram
Why are you talking rubbish!?

What is the IAT sensor for?

Why is there millions of Hemi's running speed density!?
So having the actual, real time, airflow information is worse than a VE table that is calculated and is accurate for the day that is was made.

You really didn't use a slow *** hemi as an example of performance tuning and power did you? Ford uses the opposite and runs MAF only, GM engines seem to always perform better and they run the hybrid version of the two.

MAF vs SD will always be like this, just like Ford vs Chevy. If a tuner dials in the entire VE table and the entire MAF table, works on the transitional fueling and idle and driveablilty aspects, that is a good tune. Most of the shops do not spend that much time to get everything perfect or it would cost so much you wouldn't want it done.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 69LT1Bird
So having the actual, real time, airflow information is worse than a VE table that is calculated and is accurate for the day that is was made.
I don't think he meant it was worse. Just that MAF isn't necessarily better.

You really didn't use a slow *** hemi as an example of performance tuning and power did you? Ford uses the opposite and runs MAF only, GM engines seem to always perform better and they run the hybrid version of the two.
Ain't nothin wrong with the hemis. They make decent power stock, and aren't bad to mod either. I'd rather tune a SD Hemi than a MAF only Ford. I don't really like the way the MAF only cars run.

If a tuner dials in the entire VE table and the entire MAF table, works on the transitional fueling and idle and driveablilty aspects, that is a good tune. Most of the shops do not spend that much time to get everything perfect or it would cost so much you wouldn't want it done.
Dialing in both doesn't take that long, to get them with reasonable % change fuel trim wise. You'll never get em perfect, that's why there's fuel trims.

Both work. Each does something different, but they both are effective ways of fueling. In the end, that's what matters. I try to run both, except in cars that don't like one or the other. Or in situations that dictate one or the other. I PREFER speed density.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:45 PM
11 Second Club

But you are an exception more than the rule when it comes to a lot of tuners. They will just take short cuts to get the car out the door, put out a nice WOT run on the dyno so the customer is all happy and that's about it.

SD is great for certain cars but for the other 90% on here the combination is better for year round usage.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is by far the truest ******* statement i've ever herd man so many tuners do it like that to make a quick buck... My car still isn't running right an i am not really happy with it an i am speed density. It runs different so many places it's never consistant so maybe my 02 leads could be crossed to???

Quick Reply: Speed Density Tune Vs MAF Tune