Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unsolved mystery!!! 01 z28 problem plz help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unsolved mystery!!! 01 z28 problem plz help!!!!

I know this post probably has been posted a million times, or maybe i am in the wrong post thread.. but take a look, i bet you'll have no answer either!

Alright so i just uncovered my password for LS1tech over the pile of dust since 05' lol and haven't had any problems with my car since (that'd be a big lie)! But this one has seemed to STUMP! and i mean STUMP everyone i come into contact with, or ask... Mechanics with 25-30yrs experience, FORGET IT! Starter & alternator repairs, nothing! Auto part stores, ha joke.. Even wal-mart! imagine that! You name it! I've asked!! Now i am coming to you guy's.. THE BEST AROUND!!

The problem: 01 Z28 will not start!!! Starter is good, car turns over... I have been jobless for a year so my car has just sat for months at a time, back in Dec. of 09' it would take bout 3-4 cranks to start, then 5-8 cranks, then just went dead!
Solution: NOT FOUND!
Results: I have tried everything man, from charging my 4-5 yr old Red top optima battery, having it tested at wal-mart (good battery). To having a friend run a diagnostics with his 10k Snap-on computer to find the problem, nothing throwed or gave there! So i ripped out the alternator and had it tested, needed a new regulator, replaced it, and still won't start!!!! Dude i am stranded and do not know what to do! Please help!

IS IT THE FUEL PUMP???

End result: MY CAR IS HAUNTED!!!
Only thing i haven't tried is handing my baby over to a Chevy dealership and having them charge me out the A-hole!!! NO FUN!!!!

Please help.. The big car show ROD RUNS in Pigeon Forge, TN is next week, I would love to have it up and running by then! I appreciate every comment or concern! THANKS
-Trey

P.S. I AM DESPERATE lol
Old 04-07-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

Check for spark, fuel, compression, grounds.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NBM-LS1
Check for spark, fuel, compression, grounds.
exactly. . . . not really sure but i think you said that the starter just stops cranking after 5-8 turns then it sounds like something is heating up or you have a bad ground or fuseable link check i've seen problems where if there is a ground problem the power is pulled from every were else an drawn to the starter when cranking which causes no spark and fuel pressure. before goin to a dealer try the basic no start trouble shooting, as stated above
Old 04-07-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSrookiekid
I know this post probably has been posted a million times, or maybe i am in the wrong post thread.. but take a look, i bet you'll have no answer either!

Alright so i just uncovered my password for LS1tech over the pile of dust since 05' lol and haven't had any problems with my car since (that'd be a big lie)! But this one has seemed to STUMP! and i mean STUMP everyone i come into contact with, or ask... Mechanics with 25-30yrs experience, FORGET IT! Starter & alternator repairs, nothing! Auto part stores, ha joke.. Even wal-mart! imagine that! You name it! I've asked!! Now i am coming to you guy's.. THE BEST AROUND!!

The problem: 01 Z28 will not start!!! Starter is good, car turns over... I have been jobless for a year so my car has just sat for months at a time, back in Dec. of 09' it would take bout 3-4 cranks to start, then 5-8 cranks, then just went dead!
Solution: NOT FOUND!
Results: I have tried everything man, from charging my 4-5 yr old Red top optima battery, having it tested at wal-mart (good battery). To having a friend run a diagnostics with his 10k Snap-on computer to find the problem, nothing throwed or gave there! So i ripped out the alternator and had it tested, needed a new regulator, replaced it, and still won't start!!!! Dude i am stranded and do not know what to do! Please help!

IS IT THE FUEL PUMP???

End result: MY CAR IS HAUNTED!!!
Only thing i haven't tried is handing my baby over to a Chevy dealership and having them charge me out the A-hole!!! NO FUN!!!!

Please help.. The big car show ROD RUNS in Pigeon Forge, TN is next week, I would love to have it up and running by then! I appreciate every comment or concern! THANKS
-Trey

P.S. I AM DESPERATE lol
It seems odd to me that mechanics with 25-30 years experience could be stumped by this. As stated here above, do some BASIC troubleshooting:

1-Compression check the engine....if it checks out, then:
2-Check to make sure that the engine is getting spark....if that checks out, then:
3-Check to make sure that the fuel sysytem is working (ie,55psi in the rail, good filters, etc..) if that checks out, then:
4-Check to make sure that the fuel injectors are "firing". If not, start looking at wiring/grounds or ECU.

Unfortunately, there is no way that any of us can tell you exactly what is wrong with your car....unless we were able to go through the above-outlined steps to get to the bottom of the problem. This is going to require some work on your part, as in actually testing the car yourself.

Start working the above steps, and post your results here....we'll give you some direction on how to proceed, and help you get to the bottom of it quickly, if you work quickly.

Best of luck.....I'm willing to bet it is nothing major that is wrong.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being a 01 fuel injected engine....the engine should have started well within 5-8 cranks. The fact that you stated the car was getting harder and harder to get started leads me to the theory that your fuel pump/system is the culprit. Charge battery to full charge then turn key to the "RUN" position...do you hear the pump come on? If no then goto fuel pump relay and find the feed and load side of the relay and jump them at the relays socket which bypasses the relay all together. If yes then check fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Does it meet the min spec for your car? If no then you got bad fuel pump.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:52 PM
12 Second Club

I used to have the same problem based on your description. My car would turn over and over but nothing would happen, not until the second or third time trying. I went ahead and bought new ignition relay, swapped them out, and it worked fine for quite a while but then started doing the same thing again. I just keep swapping them out, Im sure ive got a short somewhere but dont really have the time or money to deal with the real issue. Hope this helps.

To test the relay you could swap it with the starter relay and see what happens.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

Fixed it!!!!! Whhoooooo hoooo!!!!

Thank you everyone for your help and concerns!!!
Old 04-10-2010, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And? What was the problem?
Old 04-10-2010, 12:24 AM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What was the problem?
Old 04-10-2010, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

relay??
Old 04-10-2010, 01:18 AM
On The Tree

The dang ignition relay.. ended up switchin some from my Z71 truck to the Z28 and it started right up! so went over to Auto Zone.. a simple $8.99!! Thank god it wasn't the fuel pump!!!

Old 04-10-2010, 01:20 AM
On The Tree

Glad to have my baby bak man! ROD RUNS HEAR I COME!!! Big ol car show next weekend over in Pigeon Forge, TN! If you are near the south east, IT IS DEF. worth it! over 200k cars for 3miles packed on both sides of the road!
Old 04-12-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSrookiekid
Glad to have my baby bak man! ROD RUNS HEAR I COME!!! Big ol car show next weekend over in Pigeon Forge, TN! If you are near the south east, IT IS DEF. worth it! over 200k cars for 3miles packed on both sides of the road!
ill be there...even though they have started to suck the last few years...UNLESS u like trucks and ricers

Quick Reply: Unsolved mystery!!! 01 z28 problem plz help!!!!