Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS7 FAST 102 running out of steam?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwanke Engines
Are you running hydraulic lifters yet? Why do you have so much open pressure? You may be collapsing the lifter.
Morel limited travel hydraulic link bar lifters.

As far as open pressure, the head shop set them up.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:48 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Ive seen some odd complaints popping up here and there with e38 ECM's and strange fixed a/f ratios at upper RPMS. Might be worth a look into
Old 11-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Thank You all for your input and ideas!

I am trying to validate or unvalidate the need to look at spending all that money on a sheet metal intake.

If folks are saying it is not the intake, and can show they have been able to feed a naturally aspirated engine through the FAST 102 intake, to and past the levels I am at, then the problem must/may be something else.

I know I need the car to be able to pull 7,200 - 7,500 rpm to get me through the 1/4 mile with my 4.10 gears.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cam
Ive seen some odd complaints popping up here and there with e38 ECM's and strange fixed a/f ratios at upper RPMS. Might be worth a look into
Prior to rebuild and adding the FAST my ECM seemed to work just fine to 7,200 rpm. But, another place to look!
Old 11-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Some more information, if I understood the shop correctly.

The car is just over 570 rwhp at 6,500 rpm. Started stumbling bad @ 6,600 rpm. Removed fuel to get the car to pull to over 7,100 rpm, but this causes the power to drop all the way down to 310 rwhp at 7,100 rpms.

Prior to rebuild, the car would peak out around 525 rwhp at ~ 6,500 rpm, but would hold the power pretty well to 7,100 rpm.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by LS7_GTO
Cam specs are - 243 247 LSL 112 + 4.

I will look up valve size when I get home. I can say that the valves are the hollow stem steel variety from MAST, and the springs are their top of the line.

As far as coil bind, the springs were set-up by the shop that did the heads to match the cam.
You need to find this number out. Too much space in there can cause all sorts of problems. A spring with a lower # with a closer coil bind will work better than a higher # with too much space. Especially when your hitting over 6500 rpms.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What lift is the cam?
Did you upgrade injectors?
What spark plugs are you running?
What is your fuel pressure?
What fuel are you running?

Are you tuning with HP tuners? EFI Live?
Old 11-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TurboBuick6
You need to find this number out. Too much space in there can cause all sorts of problems. A spring with a lower # with a closer coil bind will work better than a higher # with too much space. Especially when your hitting over 6500 rpms.
OK - let me see if I get this correct...

The lift numbers on the cam are .661 in for both the intake and exhaust.

On one of the notes from the guy who did the heads, is says...

Distance from max lift .050 to .075 to coil bind.

I hope that answers your question...
Old 11-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Schwanke Engines
What lift is the cam?
Did you upgrade injectors? yes - Siemens 52.5 lb injectors. Doesn't seem to be a fuel problem. Pressure is good. Injector duty cycle is fine. And it goes crazy rich, not lean.

What spark plugs are you running? I don't know this for sure, but I think TR55's. I will tell you that the shop that has the car came to the track with me, swapped in new plugs and tightened the gap at the track. It did not fix the problem. Our initial thought was that is was spark related. Have changed plugs, wires, and coils... hasn't corrected problem.

What is your fuel pressure? Mid to upper 50's. Once it takes it's initial dip from low 60's to mid 50's it holds.

What fuel are you running? Pump gas 93 octane. Almost always Shell V-power.

Are you tuning with HP tuners? SD Tune with HP Turers.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

Ok I am thinking either spark blow out or coil surge. What is your coil bind set at?

What is your cam specs, valve size and material.
valve size = Uses a 2.200" intake valve and 1.600" exhaust valve
• Has a 274cc intake port
• Has a deck thickness of .750"

material = 2.200" 5/16 Premium Hollow Steel Race Valve (5.450")
•Lightweight hollow steel intake valve
•Provides superior valvetrain stability
Old 11-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SD tune on an E38? With HP tuners? Presumably, using the bluecat VE table calculator? I personally will not do SD tunes on the E38, because of the difficulties in getting the VE table equations to match up closely enough to what you want. And if you get a "seam" - mathematical discontinuity - between patches in the VE range, it's very possible to drive the ECU haywire. Just my personal take - I'd rather sacrifice a few HP on the dyno and gain the safety and consistency you get with a MAF.

But my guess is, you don't have a VE table range boundary all the way up at 6500 RPM, and I'd still suspect valve train ...
Old 11-19-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Marble_Sharp
OK - let me see if I get this correct...

The lift numbers on the cam are .661 in for both the intake and exhaust.

On one of the notes from the guy who did the heads, is says...

Distance from max lift .050 to .075 to coil bind.

I hope that answers your question...
yeah it does. I would suggest getting them all equall and maybe try shimming to .040 and see what happens. Coil bind is a tuning parameter.

To truly set it he needs to find out exactly what each springs solid height is and then shim each one accordingly. Every manufacture has tollerances they are small but they are there.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Staging Lane

yeah it does. I would suggest getting them all equall and maybe try shimming to .040 and see what happens. Coil bind is a tuning parameter.

To truly set it he needs to find out exactly what each springs solid height is and then shim each one accordingly. Every manufacture has tollerances they are small but they are there.
I think the note I found was in regards to his original findings. He did then shim each one individualy to get them all the same. I don't know what he shimmed them to be set at.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:19 PM
CNB
11 Second Club

valve size = Uses a 2.200" intake valve and 1.600" exhaust valve
• Has a 274cc intake port
• Has a deck thickness of .750"

material = 2.200" 5/16 Premium Hollow Steel Race Valve (5.450")
•Lightweight hollow steel intake valve
•Provides superior valvetrain stability
The old hollow 2.20 valve MAST used weighs around 107 grams which is not exactly light. The stock LS7 valve weighs around 77 grams. That's a big difference.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:25 PM
HNK
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Philip@HPE
From personal experience I don't believe his intake is a restriction depending on who it was ported by. On my own personal car there was no kpa loss on a 441 LS7 with All Pro Heads and an extremely healthy cam (more than likely larger than the OP's) although I have 4" piping from the throttle body down to the filter on my C5.
Philip, I have a 440 LS7 with a 240s-250s cam and I get 96-97 kpa @ wot. The runners have been lightly touched up. From all the guys who have done work on that intake, all say there will be restriction regardless what is done to the intake. That is on highly modded cars. I am sure has an idea how to mod the runners to shift the power few hundred Rpms to the right and I wish they can share or guide us on how to go about it. Runner length needs to get shorter a bit, maybe all it takes is one inch to get most of us what we're looking for.

Cheers
Old 11-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

Well, I am starting to think my best option might just be to swap to a 3.73 or 3.91 gear. I don't want to throw a bunch of money trying to figure out how to get the dang thing to run to 7,200 - 7,500 rpm. Maybe I'll just gear it to run through the traps at a lower rpm where the damn thing will run.

Opinions on pros / cons of this are more than welcome!
Old 11-20-2010, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

From what you describe, removing a ton of fuel, it sure sounds like a VE table tuning issue or reversion. If you are not getting enough air into the cylinder to match the fuel, you will go crazy rich. Reversion can be caused by either not enough duration on the exhaust to get the gases out at that rpm, plugged exhaust, or mismatch between the intake and cam timing. Retarding the cam might give you more RPM but if the exhaust duration is too short, you won't see a big difference. Problem is that fixing it means a different cam.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

We are going to try different springs in to see if it is indeed valve float.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 04Yukonxl
From what you describe, removing a ton of fuel, it sure sounds like a VE table tuning issue or reversion. If you are not getting enough air into the cylinder to match the fuel, you will go crazy rich. Reversion can be caused by either not enough duration on the exhaust to get the gases out at that rpm, plugged exhaust, or mismatch between the intake and cam timing. Retarding the cam might give you more RPM but if the exhaust duration is too short, you won't see a big difference. Problem is that fixing it means a different cam.
Thank You. May have to take a look at the cam if new springs don't fix it.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

We are going to try different springs in to see if it is indeed valve float.
Valve-train stability it is...

Christian

Quick Reply: LS7 FAST 102 running out of steam?