Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 427 Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 427 Install

Hey guys, well this is my first time attempting something of this scale so I'm taking it slow and need some patience.

The engine is out and I've started pulling parts off the LS1 and transfering onto the new LS2. I've started on the top of the engine and I've ran into my first snag. I assume this is the correct way of doing it but I just want to make sure others have done it the same way. What I'm referring to is the Oil Pressure Sending Unit, it no longer threads into the block. It now threads into the LS2 valley cover, so in total the sensor is sitting just short of 2" higher. Has this caused others any problems or is this normal?

thanks for your help guys.

p.s. I'm trying to get my baby running in time for our wedding this summer so any help I can get I'll take and the faster the replies come in the better!

thanks again!
Old 05-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

It will still fit. I just went thru the same thing. I have a fast 102 and the sender is a little lower than the intake with the connector on it.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kevin kuether
It will still fit. I just went thru the same thing. I have a fast 102 and the sender is a little lower than the intake with the connector on it.
thank you
Old 05-01-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alright next question guys.

I have a UMI K-member and prothane motor mounts. I don't have GM motor mount bolts so I don't know if this is a problem. I found what size bolts gm uses for the long bolts that slide through the clamshells. I went out to a hardware specializing store and had them get me two high grade bolts of the same measurements. However, when I slide these bolts through the clamshells they feel relatively loose. Worse yet, when I put them into the K-member holes they seem very loose.

I want to know if other people with aftermarket k-members found that the motor mount hardware was loose in the holes?

thanks for your help guys.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

I know it hasn't been very long but...

bump
Old 05-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My motor mount bolts didn't seem too loose, seemed about the same as all stock bolts and mounts that I've used. I have used both prothane mounts and stock ones, never saw and difference in the tightness of the bolt in the hole. If it seems too loose you may want to double check and make sure you got the right size bolt. I don't know the bolt size off hand but I just bought the kit from Spohn.

http://www.spohn.net/shop/1982-1992-...dware-Kit.html
Old 05-03-2011, 12:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

I phoned UMI to get their take on it, and they said there should be a little play for ease of installation. I measured and there is about 1/8 of play between the bolt and the hole.

I got quite a few things done today and was just about to marry my engine to my cradle but noticed that the bolts are about an inch longer the stock. I'll deal with that tomorrow, I have another question though.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Does anyone know the ft. lbs. of torque the motor mounts require? I went about 35ft. lbs on the 4 bolts on the engine. I'm thinking about 50ft lbs on the two long bolts.

Any input?
Old 05-23-2011, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

The engine is now installed and I'm starting to re-run all the wiring, cables, lines etc. Though I've ran into a snag.

I've re-attached the throttle body cable to the new intake everything is now in place*previously an LS6, now a Fast92/NW92. If I press the gas pedal the throttle body opens 100% as its suppose to. However, when I release the cable it returns to approximately 98% percent of the way back. It leaves just the slightest crack open instead of returning home. If I put pressure on the blade or mechanism it then closes the rest of the way and stays there... it appears the cable needs to be about a 1/4" longer. Is there any adjustment for this?

Any advice is welcome thanks guys.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

anyone? bump...

Quick Reply: LS2 427 Install