Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging warning light on LS7 with stock Z06 alternator not working

Old 08-11-2011, 02:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unhappy Charging warning light on LS7 with stock Z06 alternator not working

Hi,

To start with I would like to point out that I have indeed tried to search this forum to find information about this. I have found some but I have not been able to get this to work anyway.

So, I知 trying to get a charging failure warning light to work on my LS7 crate engine. I have a stock Corvette Z06 alternator and I知 using a GMPP ECU and wiring harness. From the harness there is only one wire in the alternator connector, as far as I understand this is a + feed to start the alternator?

Then I have a warning light in the dash that is fed with +12V on one side and the other side is supposed to be connected to the alternator somewhere where you have ground (-) when the alternator is not charging and +12V when it does charge. This should make the light go out when the alternator starts to charge and the bulb gets +12V on both sides.

The alternator connector has three pins and the only one that seems to be grounded is the one where the wire from the harness is connected to. If I connect the wire from the warning light to this pin the light goes on when I turn on the ignition. However it never goes out when I start the engine, this behavior is the same regardless if I connect it straight to that pin on the alternator or if I connect it in parallel with the wire from the ECU. The alternator seems to charge as it should in both these scenarios, I see around +14v as soon as the engine is started.

So please, any suggestions here?
Old 08-11-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EVOVII_SWE
Hi,

To start with I would like to point out that I have indeed tried to search this forum to find information about this. I have found some but I have not been able to get this to work anyway.

So, I知 trying to get a charging failure warning light to work on my LS7 crate engine. I have a stock Corvette Z06 alternator and I知 using a GMPP ECU and wiring harness. From the harness there is only one wire in the alternator connector, as far as I understand this is a + feed to start the alternator?

Then I have a warning light in the dash that is fed with +12V on one side and the other side is supposed to be connected to the alternator somewhere where you have ground (-) when the alternator is not charging and +12V when it does charge. This should make the light go out when the alternator starts to charge and the bulb gets +12V on both sides.

The alternator connector has three pins and the only one that seems to be grounded is the one where the wire from the harness is connected to. If I connect the wire from the warning light to this pin the light goes on when I turn on the ignition. However it never goes out when I start the engine, this behavior is the same regardless if I connect it straight to that pin on the alternator or if I connect it in parallel with the wire from the ECU. The alternator seems to charge as it should in both these scenarios, I see around +14v as soon as the engine is started.

So please, any suggestions here?
That wire should go to the "L" pin on the alternator connector. I tried this on my swap using an LED lamp and it didn't work, although it will work with a standard bulb. I ended up using a 12v key-on source to pin "F" and it charges just fine w/o the lamp.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Charging warning light on LS7 with stock Z06 alternator not working