Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I get a custom Marcella sheet metal intake?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 05:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
I was just wondering if the design requirements will make the rear cylinders have issues......like almost every other "plastic" type intake does.

Nature of the beast unless you run a carb style intake. Flow a bunch of injectors and put a set of the fatter ones in back
Old 11-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LPE 403
Nature of the beast unless you run a carb style intake. Flow a bunch of injectors and put a set of the fatter ones in back
Fatter ones in the back???? You mean bigger injectors in the back two cylinders?

If these sheet metal (and plastic style) intakes deprive the rear two cylinders of air, that means they would run rich...right?

Old 11-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 430 hp 70
precison metalcrafters

Not much info on their site at all. I emailed them to ask about what they offer for the LSx.....

Old 11-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Banned

I'd love to use the carb style........but then the elbo you need to use ruins the flow...from what I hear....

Old 11-20-2011, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i guess its metalcraft, not the "ers" part.

http://www.precision-metalcraft.com/Manifolds.html
Old 11-20-2011, 05:38 PM
Banned

i guess its metalcraft, not the "ers" part.

http://www.precision-metalcraft.com/Manifolds.html
Oh, ok. Looks nice....you think that there's will flow like a Marcella?

It also says it 3 inches taller than a factory plastic intake....wonder if that'll fit.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:07 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

The front mounted throttle body type intakes don't deprive the rear cylinders of air,the air moving through the intake hits the back wall and forces more into those cylinders, causing them to run slightly lean.

What was suggested was not to run a larger injector in the rears, but to flow a set of injectors, and use the two that flow the most out of the group to supply slightly more fuel the rear cylinders, lessening the possibility of losing #7 due to a lean condition.

Fatter ones in the back???? You mean bigger injectors in the back two cylinders?

If these sheet metal (and plastic style) intakes deprive the rear two cylinders of air, that means they would run rich...right?

Old 11-22-2011, 08:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Whistler
What was suggested was not to run a larger injector in the rears, but to flow a set of injectors, and use the two that flow the most out of the group to supply slightly more fuel the rear cylinders, lessening the possibility of losing #7 due to a lean condition.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Whistler
The front mounted throttle body type intakes don't deprive the rear cylinders of air,the air moving through the intake hits the back wall and forces more into those cylinders, causing them to run slightly lean.
AH-HA.......

Maybe they should taper down as they go rearward instead of having a back wall.........

and AH-HA.....I see.

Too bad a carb intake won't fit under the cowl/hood of a Trans Am, and flow well with an elbo.........I'd love to do that.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Launching!

Have u ever looked at Hogans manifolds? Extremely popular in NHRA drag cars of all kinds.

http://www.hogansracingmanifolds.com/

Good luck
Old 12-11-2011, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

did you ever decide?
Old 12-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Banned

did you ever decide?
Well, I just got done deciding, with Richards help, to go with the Brodix heads and his CNC program.....should be some nice 400+cfm heads. Gonna go with 11.5:1 cr and 441ci. Cam, we have not chosen one yet, but its gonna be medium to heavy aggressive.
I'm pretty sure a sheet metal will be best, but I don't know if a Marcella is any better than any other sheet metal intake. And since now I have to have a custom one done no matter who does it, because I need it to fit under the cowl and factory hood of my WS6.....I can have anyone make one, even my friend in his fabrication shop for probably under $1,000. He has an old Wilson sheet metal intake he's going to just modify to fit under my cowl/hood. He'll just take measurements of my cowl/hood area and make it work. Should be easy for him to do. Just have to taper the thing down as it moves rearward.

BUT.....I just got word I might be leaving for the Middle East early January, my job will be 30 days "on" and 30 days "off" rotating annual schedule. So I'll be back from my first rotation with a completed engine sometime in February with 30 days off to get it in the car. But I doubt the intake will be done. I might just get a Mamo Fast 102mm on order.....

We'll see.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

i had a hard time deciding on heads as well, but i figured id save another 1k and run the tsp heads. the brodix, ls7x (both from wcch) and mast heads were all 3300+. the only other cheaper heads i could find were the ls7x from cbm motorsports. my budget was blown apart with a sleeved block and a sheetmetal intake.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Well, I just got done deciding, with Richards help, to go with the Brodix heads and his CNC program.....should be some nice 400+cfm heads. Gonna go with 11.5:1 cr and 441ci. Cam, we have not chosen one yet, but its gonna be medium to heavy aggressive.
I'm pretty sure a sheet metal will be best, but I don't know if a Marcella is any better than any other sheet metal intake. And since now I have to have a custom one done no matter who does it, because I need it to fit under the cowl and factory hood of my WS6.....I can have anyone make one, even my friend in his fabrication shop for probably under $1,000. He has an old Wilson sheet metal intake he's going to just modify to fit under my cowl/hood. He'll just take measurements of my cowl/hood area and make it work. Should be easy for him to do. Just have to taper the thing down as it moves rearward.
BUT.....I just got word I might be leaving for the Middle East early January, my job will be 30 days "on" and 30 days "off" rotating annual schedule. So I'll be back from my first rotation with a completed engine sometime in February with 30 days off to get it in the car. But I doubt the intake will be done. I might just get a Mamo Fast 102mm on order.....

We'll see.

Dont compromise in "what your buddy can do". There's a lot more to it than it just fitting under the cowl. Marcella is one of (if not THE) best for a reason...
Old 12-14-2011, 04:37 PM
Banned

Dont compromise in "what your buddy can do". There's a lot more to it than it just fitting under the cowl. Marcella is one of (if not THE) best for a reason...
I figure for $800, thats what he's going to sell it to me for and refab it. Thats better than $3,300. I save $2,500 if this works out. That pays for my entire nitrous system and then some.

Its a Wilson, it was going to be used on a LS7 air-boat engine. The plenum is tall as hell, way more than any other I've ever seen on an LSx style engine. It looks like we just need to lower the top of it and taper it down maybe 1.5 - 2 inches. From a fabrication standpoint, he says it'll be a cake walk because all it is is removing some side wall at the proper angle all the way back, laying the top piece back down to meet those sides then trim off the excess in the back that sticks over beyond the rear wall of the intake. He's a master at welding so its going to look perfect, he does welding artwork.....

Only thing he never did before is drill the holes for the Direct Port nitrous/fuel nozzles, so I'll have to find someone around here to do that.

I'm probably going to end up having it tuned with the Mamo FAST 102mm....then when this thing is done we'll go see what it can do and retune it for the Wilson.

I guess I can flow test the Wilson after its altered with the 105mm TB to see how each runner breathes......if its all even I'm good to go, right????

Old 12-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Banned

i had a hard time deciding on heads as well, but i figured id save another 1k and run the tsp heads. the brodix, ls7x (both from wcch) and mast heads were all 3300+. the only other cheaper heads i could find were the ls7x from cbm motorsports. my budget was blown apart with a sleeved block and a sheetmetal intake.
Yup, this crap adds up and the smallest change in plans can be the difference in thousands of dollars. Since I changed my mind from a big single turbo set up....I have to at least make as much N/A power as possible.........on pump gas and without going cam crazy.
So I gotta let the bastard breath. 105mm tb, 104mm Lid, sheet metal intake. Might use something other than a lid....we'll see.

Quick Reply: Should I get a custom Marcella sheet metal intake?????