Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Various LS7 intakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my heads are already cnc ported by nathan higgins in australia his car currently runs 7.15 N/A and he ports almost all the v8 supercars teams, in terms of someone who knows what he is doing he is basically the man here in australia when it comes to heads.

I highly doubt the head ports are out, i can understand core shift, and my block along with a few others have been sonic tested here and they are fine 250-300" thickness.

The base of it is the fast "ls7" manifold is **** and guarantee if others with ls7 heads do what i have done and bolt the lower shell on you will see what i see. I dont know about other models ls3 ls1 ls2 etc but for ls7 they certainly dont line up.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by O.N.
my heads are already cnc ported by nathan higgins in australia his car currently runs 7.15 N/A and he ports almost all the v8 supercars teams, in terms of someone who knows what he is doing he is basically the man here in australia when it comes to heads.

I highly doubt the head ports are out, i can understand core shift, and my block along with a few others have been sonic tested here and they are fine 250-300" thickness.

The base of it is the fast "ls7" manifold is **** and guarantee if others with ls7 heads do what i have done and bolt the lower shell on you will see what i see. I dont know about other models ls3 ls1 ls2 etc but for ls7 they certainly dont line up.
I have the FAST 102 and the LS7 style heads on my LSX 454 I'm gonna do that and take pictures and see how it lines up and post them. I' curious to see if it's as bad as you say.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

if i have time i'll do the same with mine tomorrow.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, very curious to see what you gain. I tend to be an n/a fan but at some point you have to say why? I have tfs 235s and was thinking about LS7 heads but not any more. I was hoping to trap 135-136 with a 3650 lbs race weight. Another guy that has a turbo can just turn it up the boost and you have no chance. Seems like it's always about going a little faster.

Is your friend with the TFS 235s going to have results soon?

Last edited by Bill00Formula; 01-18-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah the one with the tfs235's with the harrop 8 throttle bodies made the following:

583rwhp and 730nm torque with a T56 and 440ci
Old 01-18-2012, 10:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok took the pictures of how the FAST 102 LS7 style lines up with the ports, as you can see the bottom of the port is out by a fair bit and it is about the same amount at the top of the port if you push up with your fingers into the port of the head.

Last edited by O.N.; 01-19-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

wow looks terrible. Anyone else with this problem?
Old 01-19-2012, 01:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99bluefirebird
wow looks terrible. Anyone else with this problem?
and as said before this is on 2 lower shells that i have so how is it possible i have 2 shells that are wrong, this problem will be on all LS7 fast 102's.

I said before i thought my original shell might have had a bow in it so i went to the trouble of ordering a whole brand new lower shell. they both look just like this.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:15 AM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

That can't be helping transition at all there
Old 01-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 100,000 dollar question is which heads are they bolted too???

I have never seen that large a mismatch with stock LS7 heads

Are these ported stock heads or aftermarket castings?

-Tony
Old 01-19-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
The 100,000 dollar question is which heads are they bolted too???

I have never seen that large a mismatch with stock LS7 heads

Are these ported stock heads or aftermarket castings?

-Tony
They are LSX LS7 heads they are cnc ported but as you can see you can see the head the cnc doesn't add material to the heads.

The cnc program used also takeks hardly anything out of the outside diameter of the port compared to stock.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Launching!

I didn't have time to do this but I would bet money that it's the LSX heads and your CNC program. The LSX block has core shift and the LSX heads are different from basic ls7 heads. You know what the tell tale will be is if you get your new intake and you have the same problem.

If I did it over again I wouldn't have buy a LSX setup I would have went with a custom built ls7 427 aluminum block.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Ok im ditching my fast 102 intake as the ports dont match the heads and i want you guys to help out with the deciding on a new intake and or ideas etc.

I want them to all be under hood type intakes.

I'm going to start the thread off with different types of ls7 intakes.

CFE Racing.com

Harrop.com.au - not yet released.

Ozmo engineering

Ozmo engineering

wilson manifolds.com

wilson manifolds.com
the jenvey kit that stage 7 has is not on the list
Old 01-19-2012, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slippi84
I didn't have time to do this but I would bet money that it's the LSX heads and your CNC program. The LSX block has core shift and the LSX heads are different from basic ls7 heads. You know what the tell tale will be is if you get your new intake and you have the same problem.

If I did it over again I wouldn't have buy a LSX setup I would have went with a custom built ls7 427 aluminum block.
yes but the LS7 ports are "suppose" to be the same as the LSX LS7 ports, the LSX LS7 port is suppose to be an as cast version of the LS7 port.

And as far as my cnc program it only removes material in the picture there is an excess material of head at the bottom of the ports. so there is no way it can be the cnc program as it doesn't change the outside shape of the port entry if anything it takes the slightest amount of material out but explain how there is excess material here in the head showing through the port.

see here: as cast LS7 port on the LSX LS7 port:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_DSforCSEY
Old 01-19-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Can someone else please bolt their lower shell down and do the same pics i have done, be sure to make sure it is tightened down correctly and pulled in tight against the head.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:45 PM
11 Second Club

Can someone else please bolt their lower shell down and do the same pics i have done, be sure to make sure it is tightened down correctly and pulled in tight against the head.
Mine was the exact same problem. LS2 Portworks fixed mine by raising the top of the intake port as far as we could go. Then we raised the bottom by grinding on the port adapter and shimmed it up until we got the needed amount. We got .085 of the .100 needed, best that we could get. Anymore and we would have busted thru the port adapter on the inside edge while smoothing the new transition. These were on PI/MAST LXR 6 bolt LS7's.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jimbob
Mine was the exact same problem. LS2 Portworks fixed mine by raising the top of the intake port as far as we could go. Then we raised the bottom by grinding on the port adapter and shimmed it up until we got the needed amount. We got .085 of the .100 needed, best that we could get. Anymore and we would have busted thru the port adapter on the inside edge while smoothing the new transition. These were on PI/MAST LXR 6 bolt LS7's.
First off you have the same 6 bolt not stock style ls7 heads and to make it worse you have a port adapter which makes it evern less of a useful comparrison. Not knocking your setup just your setup is not a good candidate for this test.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:42 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had a hunch it wasn't going to be an OEM stock LS7 head....

Race heads typically cheat the port locations higher to take advantage of a better line of sight to the back of the valve.

Keep in mind the intake interface thickness plays a huge role in where the manifold lines up to the heads. In the OP's case he could be creative and use say a spacer around .125 thick (if I had to guess) to get the manifold to sit higher in the "V" so the ports line up better.

Unfortunately these are just some of the issues you run into when building aftermarket race engines with various manufacturers components.

Take a deep breath and dive in....there is always solutions.....some just take longer and cost more than you hoped (others can be not so painful and a little ingenuity goes a long way).

I bet you lunch a stock LS7 head would line up much differently. Also, the deck height of the block comes into play....not sure if this engine is a stock LS deck height or if that was cheated up a little.

Its always best to do your homework before you start a thread semi-bashing a vendor about fitment issues.....make sure you are dealing truly with the components this intake was designed around (and in this situation that's not the case).

Good luck with the new intake system....I'm sure its going to honk on this engine.....look at this as a blessing in disguise!

-Tony
Old 01-20-2012, 01:00 AM
Launching!

Yeah no way that the LSX ls7 heads are exactly the same hell they even say ore material on the flanges and stuff like that which means sizing is slightly different. I'm def gonna be doing something with mine though cause that is def not pretty
Old 01-20-2012, 02:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

I can understand your points tony about bashing a product and it looks like the culprit here is the LSX LS7 heads not the manifold.

I know what you mean about deck height and that too im unsure how different it is from LSX454 to LS7

Im going with the harrop intake and when it gets here if i need to build spacers for it i will do so.

I "believe" the LSX LS7 heads bolt hole locations for the manifold must be slightly lower than a standard LS7 style head in order for this manifold to line up correctly on an LS7 and not on an LSX LS7 head.

Looking at an LS7 ports and LSX LS7 ports in the video they look identical what we cant tell is if the bolt hole lactions for the manifold are in the exact same spot in relation to lining up the port.

Either way this is annoying and sucks.....alot!

Tony would you be able to check bolt hole locations in relation to the ports on both an LS7 and an LSX LS7 head looking again at the video now and pausing in a large screen it looks like the LSX bolt holes are ever so slightly lower.

Attached Thumbnails Various LS7 intakes-lsx-ls7.jpg  

Last edited by O.N.; 01-20-2012 at 02:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Various LS7 intakes