Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"UPDATE"!Well, well, WTF Happened Here!??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 11:54 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairws6
You guessed it! Snapped f-body starter #2's case also!!?? F$#@%! I don't know if i should skip a truck starter all together and get an MSD billet one or what? 2 in a row without braking the block has me a little worried. The truck case will probably not give at all. I've checked everything and all looks aok...
Yea, that would worry me too. But if it started a bunch of times than there's nothing internally causing the rotating assembly to get stuck. Maybe just two unlucky cases cracking.

How is the MSD starter going to be any different though?

Old 04-26-2012, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I would verify every single tooth on the flywheel is in good shape, if that looks ok I would toss that particular starter in the recycle bin and get the truck starter with the 2 long bolts, my 2006 GTO LS2 starter also uses 2 long bolts.

I think GM knew there were issues with the 1 long and 1 short starter noses hence the reason they went with the 2 long bolt style starter noses. There are quite a few threads on here of where people break a chunk out of the block instead of the starter nose, I think it's mainly on the aluminum blocks though. I think you are playing with fire, the next time you may not be as lucky and will end up with a piece of the engine block in your hands instead of a piece of the starter nose.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lizeec
I would verify every single tooth on the flywheel is in good shape, if that looks ok I would toss that particular starter in the recycle bin and get the truck starter with the 2 long bolts, my 2006 GTO LS2 starter also uses 2 long bolts.

I think GM knew there were issues with the 1 long and 1 short starter noses hence the reason they went with the 2 long bolt style starter noses. There are quite a few threads on here of where people break a chunk out of the block instead of the starter nose, I think it's mainly on the aluminum blocks though. I think you are playing with fire, the next time you may not be as lucky and will end up with a piece of the engine block in your hands instead of a piece of the starter nose.
I don't think it's a GM issue with the long and short bolts. They have been making that style of starter for many, many years. I have used the long/short style on high compression engines many times without a problem. I think it's a case of two bad starters.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

Well he says he's at 13.8 on compression that is up there, and as I said in my post above if everything looks fine on the flexplate, I would toss the starter in the recycle bin and try a whole different starter and if I am going to replace the starter, might as well replace it with the better 2 long bolts style.

If I read his posts correctly he only replaced the starter snout and continued to use the same starter body, maybe it's just me but I wouldn't trust anything on that particular starter anymore, 2 broken snouts? And no broken block yet? I just wouldn't take a chance like that using the same starter.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

2 bullets dodged there. I think I would start from scratch on that one.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

I am at a total loss for words right now. I put a new truck starter in after checking EVERY single tooth on the flexplate. I checked for loose bolts, watched flexplate runout, ect. ect. Went to fire the thing and heard the dreaded noise and went OH F%$#@! I figured for sure i had a broken block this time. I went under and checked the starter and all seemed super tight!?? Took out the starter and holy sheet, the snout broke clean off and fell inside the bellhousing.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:28 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Midnight02
2 bullets dodged there. I think I would start from scratch on that one.
Bullet number 3! I think the next time it will be in the head
Old 04-26-2012, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am at a total loss for words right now. I put a new truck starter in after checking EVERY single tooth on the flexplate. I checked for loose bolts, watched flexplate runout, ect. ect. Went to fire the thing and heard the dreaded noise and went OH F%$#@! I figured for sure i had a broken block this time. I went under and checked the starter and all seemed super tight!?? Took out the starter and holy sheet, the snout broke clean off and fell inside the bellhousing.
damn man that sucks....
Old 04-26-2012, 06:59 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1fastxz
damn man that sucks....
Your tellin' me.........
Old 04-26-2012, 07:58 PM
10 Second Club

Clearly something else is causing the problem other than the starter itself. I would start with the flexplate and make sure it's torqued to spec. Almost sounds like it's warped (if that's possible) and jamming into the starter teeth. Remove the starter and crank the engine by hand and watch the flexplate to see if it rotates freely without binding.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:25 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,503 Likes on 2,159 Posts

Where is your ignition timing at? Too much timing will break a starter every time. Had a friend break 3 in a row, due to too much timing. He was at 15:1 compression and really pushing the timing to the edge. He backed the timing down a fudge, and he's been good to go for a couple years now.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:05 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
Clearly something else is causing the problem other than the starter itself. I would start with the flexplate and make sure it's torqued to spec. Almost sounds like it's warped (if that's possible) and jamming into the starter teeth. Remove the starter and crank the engine by hand and watch the flexplate to see if it rotates freely without binding.
As i already stated above, i have checked and rechecked the flexplate and turned the engine over by hand numerous times and everything looks great. A little tough to turn because of the compression but....
Old 04-26-2012, 10:09 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Where is your ignition timing at? Too much timing will break a starter every time. Had a friend break 3 in a row, due to too much timing. He was at 15:1 compression and really pushing the timing to the edge. He backed the timing down a fudge, and he's been good to go for a couple years now.
Me and a few knowledgable people have been discussing timing and other things. Nothing has changed in the tune at all. I know the fuel might not be quite right because i mixed quite a few different fuels for it sitting over the winter. We thought maybe for some reason the motor might be kicking back like a diesel before igniting, then when that happens and the starter drive is engaged it has to take out the weakest point!?? I sure would like to know though because i think i will hold off on number 4......
Old 04-26-2012, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

Could the flexplate possibly be cracked at the crank mounting bolts?
Old 04-26-2012, 10:40 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by lizeec
Could the flexplate possibly be cracked at the crank mounting bolts?
Maybe, but when i turn it over by the flexplate it seems very solid. It's a TCI SFI by the way....
Old 04-26-2012, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Subscribed for the Mystery. best of luck!
Old 04-27-2012, 05:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Maybe, but when i turn it over by the flexplate it seems very solid. It's a TCI SFI by the way....
There is something strange going on with this motor. I would say to try an aftermarket starter but it's breaking stock starters that quick somethings definatly wrong. If an aftermarket starter didn't break, the block might give it up.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the trans out and check the runout on the flexplate. Also check the flexplate for any damage. If the flexplate checks out then I would get a billet starter.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:16 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you broke that truck starter with the two longer bolts, something inside is hanging the rotating assembly up.

Maybe take out all 8 spark plugs and see if it turns over easily. Just to see if when the starter hits the flywheel its not causing the binding. If it binds with no compression on it, its the flywheel.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Veteran

I would take the trans out and take a look at that flywheel. I know its a pain, but its better than the block being broke off. Also, that SFI **** doesn't carry much weight to it. I had a Hayes SFI flexplate shipped to me and put it on the car and it vibrated violently. I took it off the car and it was warped. I went and got another one and the same damn thing. I ended up putting the stocker back on and havent had any trouble since.

Quick Reply: "UPDATE"!Well, well, WTF Happened Here!??