Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blocking off heater lines on waterpump

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,257 Likes on 2,535 Posts

You need a LOT more fan.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
You need a LOT more fan.
Thats fair. Thank you guys.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by TannerRector
i have the on3 aluminum radiator with 2 12" fans rated at 850 cfm a piece (pretty low quality, and im aware of that) with no shroud. Could a shroud and decent fans make that big of a difference?
Absolutely, A shroud is almost always going to improve airflow and efficiency. I have no idea what vehicle you have but on swaps I've used 94-97 Thunderbird fans and since your running Holley EFI you can also look at controlling it using the PWM function on the Holley. It lets you to control the fan at different speeds according to temperature and can also turn the fan off or slow the fan according to speed. I use the pwm fan controller from a ford fusion because they are easy to find and much cheaper than the pwm controller from a corvette. Here is a picture of the fan and below that is video on setting up the PWM controller if you decide to go that route.

Old 10-02-2019, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Unfortunately this doesn't work for trucks... I had to cap off the back one.

Originally Posted by LS6427
Hey man, buy this. It allows the water/coolant to run in and out as it was designed to do. I wouldn't just cap them off.

I have one of these in my car, with two clamps, just in case my heater core starts to leak or one of my heater hoses that are attached to the water pump pop on my while I'm driving somewhere. This thing pops right on in 5 minutes and you're good to go.

You can drive with it forever, it hurts nothing. I used it for about 6 months when one of my heater hoses broke last winter. Works perfectly.

Just use a razor knife to cut the longer end to fit....and it will fit like it was made by GM for the water pump ports.

It has two different diameter ends that fit both ports perfectly. 3/4" and 5/8" IIRC

http://www.amazon.com/Dayco-87629-Sm.../dp/B000C0YQGM

Old 10-08-2019, 07:42 AM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Originally Posted by TannerRector
i have the on3 aluminum radiator with 2 12" fans rated at 850 cfm a piece (pretty low quality, and im aware of that) with no shroud. Could a shroud and decent fans make that big of a difference?
The shroud will make all the difference. The shroud is what makes sure the fan is actually pulling air through the radiator and not just recirculating engine compartment air.

Quick Reply: blocking off heater lines on waterpump