Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel rail advantages?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel rail advantages?

Hey everyone. I'm in the slow process of modifying my 2000 z28. I was just looking around and was wondering what the advantages of getting fuel rails are? if they are worth getting what brand would you recommend? Thanks
Old 06-30-2013, 04:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They look better...but if all is stock, and you're not making ridiculous horsepower, there's no need to bother the rails. If you choose to do so, check Nasty Performance; they have a great selection.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

I appreciate it cmac. I will look into it. Is there any cheap/easy mods you would recommend? I already have exhaust. Slp air intake. Is it worth getting a cold air? I have been debating getting the ls6 intake.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

The LS6 wont do much without a cam. Cheapest, best mods are cam and exhaust. But you still wont notice much difference below 4-5000 rpm.
Rails do nothing.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've personally never been a fan of CAI as most leave the filter in the stock location which only affects airflow potential, but doesn't change the temp because it's still in the goofy location that the car had before. Some even replace the plastic tubing with Al, looks nice but why not a less conductive material. When i first got into modding my LS, i tried the easy route of long tube, exhaust, CAI, it only picked up 8 hp, but it sounded good. Like stated above, a cam would be high on the list, and is not entirely impossible. There's quite a bit of disassembly required, but doable. This may be controversial, but an alcohol kit on a NA motor would help reduce inlet temps isn't a bad thing, and they aren't too hard to install. Replacing the heads is also very simple, and finding some cheap (relatively anyway) ones is that hard. Texas Speed sales some really nice stuff that is very value conscious. Also if you don't mind a little downtime, there are too many good porters that are sponsors here; take your pick with who you like to work with.

Like the old saying goes, anything worth doing is not going to be easy but the rewards are more than justifiable.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:48 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by garys 68
The LS6 wont do much without a cam. Cheapest, best mods are cam and exhaust. But you still wont notice much difference below 4-5000 rpm.
Rails do nothing.
Cam and exhaust won't notice much below 5k? You certainly are doing the wrong cam setup all my cam header setups have made bulk of their power below 5k. Big #'s mean squat if it don't burn tires.

Fuel rails at your level are for cosmetics. Stock rails become restriction about 550whp.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:49 AM
FormerVendor

And ls6 intake makes big difference in how it runs even without cam. I would rec. headers and ls6 intake next on your list.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input guys. I don't know too terribly much about what cam setup I would need. How much does the entire cam install usually cost? Thanks again.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

I have finally got off work and have been able to do some research. I think I am going to go ahead and purchase an LS6 intake. I am still in the search process so I may find the answer but is there any other parts I will need to convert the LS6 intake to the LS1 engine? obviously new gaskets will probably be a must. I read something about the EGR? and shaving something off? Sorry if these may seem like dumb questions. I am still learning...
Old 07-02-2013, 07:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Just referring to the Ls1 vs LS6 dyno charts.
LS6 intake and exhaust alone:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...fold-swap.html
Good article on cam swaps. Not hp below 5000 rpm. 20 some hp increase at 5000 rpm, lots more above that with cam swaps.
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...t/viewall.html

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
Cam and exhaust won't notice much below 5k? You certainly are doing the wrong cam setup all my cam header setups have made bulk of their power below 5k. Big #'s mean squat if it don't burn tires.

Fuel rails at your level are for cosmetics. Stock rails become restriction about 550whp.

Last edited by garys 68; 07-02-2013 at 07:32 AM.

Quick Reply: fuel rail advantages?