Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Benefits from upgraded engine mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 09:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Benefits from upgraded engine mounts?

Hey guys I posted this same thread in the Gen 5 forum and I'm not getting any responses. I am asking a pretty obvious question. What are the benefits from upgraded engine mounts? I have a Gen 5 Camaro Supercharged LS3 that's pushing 700 rwhp. I've had alot of input from others but I wanted some from you guys. Any advice??
Old 09-29-2013, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Less flex less likely to break more vibration in car
Old 09-29-2013, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Car reacts quicker off the line.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AlwaysLearning
Car reacts quicker off the line.
Bingo! Motion that was wasted on your engine torquing over is now transferred straight to the drivetrain. With no give in the motor mounts when swapping to solids, it allows the engine to transmit the power to the trans immediately instead of a split-second later, after the engine torques to one side.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Yea that's pretty much what I figured. I'm looking at a set of pfadt racing mounts. I wash just making sure it was worth the investment!
Old 10-03-2013, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

I went with the Prothanes, they're about the same price, but design is a bit different. Not saying they're any better or worse than Pfadt's, but certainly less engine movement than the stockers.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some people don't mind the extra vibration you will undoubtedly felt changing to more rigid mounts - and I for one, don't mind.

But...Once the cushion mounts are replaced, vibration will transmit to the other areas. Some people have experienced, as in C5/C6, suffered driveline damages to drive shaft and associated drive line components. Vibration has to go someplace, right?

I got a set of Pfadt for a couple of years and hesitant to mount them.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by victorf
... people have experienced, as in C5/C6, suffered driveline damages to drive shaft and associated drive line components. Vibration has to go someplace, right?

I got a set of Pfadt for a couple of years and hesitant to mount them.
^^^ EXACTLY why, on these gen 5's, I would never replace those rubber driveshaft couplers with urethane pieces. I'd rather have a $20 OEM rubber "fuse" than a $2000+ fuse. It's already easy enough to break an axle, I've broken an aftermarket one even, so why exacerbate the problem.

Now the thing about the Prothane style of engine mount is the potential old-school ability to drop the motor a little for those of us using a tall aftermarket manifold like the Holley Hi-ram. The upper stacked bushing "could" be trimmed if looking for that extra little bit to clear a hood.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Teching In

True that. I've gotten alot of input and watched a few YouTube videos of guys having a nasty shimmy after the mount. I've been pretty hesitant myself.

Quick Reply: Benefits from upgraded engine mounts?