Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 Intake Heat Sheild... Is this Legit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS3 Intake Heat Sheild... Is this Legit?

anyone ever do something similar? in theory it seems like it would be beneficial. just would like some real tests to back up the theory...

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/ls3-instan...e-performance/
Old 11-26-2013, 10:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The theory and execution is there, but the only way to test it would be an intake mounted AIT sensor.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Seems like that might be similar to a plenum spacer. I had a spacer on my 2011 Camaro before I traded it in and I could drive on the highway for an hour and get out, open the hood and put my hand on the metal intake and it wouldn't burn my hand off lol.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I received mine today, although I'm not sure it's worth the cost. I'm uploading photos to Photobucket now. Looks like the foam on the bottom of the intake needs to be removed, but do I need to put the foam back between the valley cover & the manifold somehow or is it okay to leave off? Planning to swap in the new intake on Friday after I pickup new intake port gaskets & TB seal. I still have my IAT in the OEM location, in front of the MAF in the neck of the lid.

Edit: Album is here

Last edited by JimMueller; 11-27-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:40 AM
Staging Lane

I was looking at adding one of those while my engine is apart...but then I thought...good idea, but why not just use regular heat shield material? It's cheaper.
So that's what I did. No pad removal, no gunk...just $5 in padded reflective tape. Works like a champ.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:34 PM
DWS

Call me a skeptic, but I really doubt you will gain 12 HP at the rear wheels by simply adding a shield to the bottom of the intake.

The entire engine compartment will be hot from running the engine, which means the top of the intake will be exposed to the heat as well as everything surrounding the engine. I get that the majority of the heat comes from the exhaust manifolds and the block has active cooling (antifreeze), and that this shield may help, for a short time, until it too gets up to temperature and then it will do nothing unless it is actively cooled in some way.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I returned mine. 1) It wasn't cut properly, 2) It seems like a PITA to remove the foam adhesive and 3) and I already have enough problems with a skewed IAT.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by filmjay
I was looking at adding one of those while my engine is apart...but then I thought...good idea, but why not just use regular heat shield material? It's cheaper.
So that's what I did. No pad removal, no gunk...just $5 in padded reflective tape. Works like a champ.
Where did you get your reflective tape from?
Old 04-19-2014, 06:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked 94TA
Where did you get your reflective tape from?
you can get it from Lowes home dept etc...standard reflective reflective tape. I did this to mine
Name:  IMG_20140224_145552_zpswe7czj3s.jpg
Views: 2553
Size:  154.5 KB
Old 04-19-2014, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somebody else brought up this product in another thread.....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-manifold.html
Old 04-21-2014, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERARMY
Somebody else brought up this product in another thread.....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-manifold.html
Yes, that was me . . .
Old 05-13-2014, 08:52 PM
Teching In

I do some heat transfer work, and I'd say it is real unlikely that reflective anything is going to help. If there is an air gap to minimize conduction, then maybe you can slow down conduction, but certainly not with just reflective tape. Heat flows through conduction, convection, or radiation--in this case, reflective tape gets you radiation--but that aluminum tape might actually increase conduction if things are real intimate! I haven't felt what they are selling--if there is an air pocket between two foil covers--and it cannot collapse during tightening, then it may keep the intake manifold cooler.

Heat transfer has to happen from the manifold to the air too! As the air flows over the manifold, they are claiming it absorbs enough heat to expand enough to lose 12hp--or 2.5%--of the crank horsepower. Does it make sense that the air could expand that much as it is passing over the manifold? No way. Hard to see GM leaving that on the table.

If you want this effect, then make an air gap between the bottom of your intake and the block. Then add the tape. With the air gap and the tape you will get conduction and radiation. With no flow, convection is very low--so you get the most available in this area. I haven't run the thermo to see if 2.5% is possible, but I think the above logic will keep me from buying this magic blanket.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The product mentioned in the first post also has a thin "foam" layer under the reflective shield. Also the bottom of the LS3 intake manifold has a honeycomb surface so their are air pockets on the underside of the intake manifold. I can see how it might work to a degree.

From the factory there is an intake cover made of plastic with "foam rubber" on the bottom. People say it is for sound and they may be right. I can also see it as a heat barrier, so I left mine on for that reason. Most people toss them.

Last edited by 1989GTA; 05-13-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

I know this is an old thread but read this

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...ower-for-less/
Old 03-16-2016, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyBird2000
I know this is an old thread but read this

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...ower-for-less/
Sorry, I don't buy it....

A better test would be:

Run the car hard...then dyno...

Install shield...

Run the car just as hard as before....then dyno.

I question the methodology and thus the results.

Andrew
Old 03-16-2016, 10:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No way. gimmick..
Old 03-17-2016, 06:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I would not say it is a gimmick as much as I would say it is debatable on how good it works. If you had an old engine with a carb, one of the first things you did was block off the heat passage under the intake. It keeps the fuel/air mixture cooler and increases airflow. Then in more recent years, everybody came out with the airgap intakes for the same reason, and they worked even better because now the bottom of the runners weren't in contact with the hot gasses and oil in the lifter galley. Definite improvements in performance and reliability.

Same concept with this mat. In theory it should work, but 20hp is a pretty high number to claim. Maybe they accidentally added a zero on the end of the hp claim?
Old 03-17-2016, 12:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
The theory and execution is there, but the only way to test it would be an intake mounted AIT sensor.
I agree with that. I would do it. The idea is to keep the air intake charge as cool as possible.

Quick Reply: LS3 Intake Heat Sheild... Is this Legit?