Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY reverse intake manifold valley cover???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY reverse intake manifold valley cover???

Ive seen some people speak of cutting/welding the oil pressure sender boss to clear the manifold. Is it possible to cut it off and grind smooth and install the Katech piece?

or maybe the one like it from SMC?
Old 01-28-2014, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

Old 01-28-2014, 07:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Saw one of those on E-Bay a few months ago, it was, like, $250 or better. There are cheaper ways to "git 'er done" that are just as effective...
Old 01-28-2014, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, those kits are for the whole valley cover. I already have a new one, so I just wan't to grind-r smooth and install the flat adapter. They're not too expensive as they sit. I could cut/weld as well...but I'm not really that good...lol I guess some shorten and re-tap, but I think the LS3 manifold is a bit too short for that.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can put on a totally flat valley cover from the non-AFM GenIV trucks (it's cheap- like under $40) and then get a GenIV AFM driver's valve cover and use that as your PCV source. That's cheap and clean!

If you don't want the PCV port on the driver's side, you can swap the driver's and passenger valve cover. Whatever works best for your packaging requirements. I don't think the engine knows the difference.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by c-bolt
Yeah, those kits are for the whole valley cover. I already have a new one, so I just wan't to grind-r smooth and install the flat adapter. They're not too expensive as they sit. I could cut/weld as well...but I'm not really that good...lol I guess some shorten and re-tap, but I think the LS3 manifold is a bit too short for that.
I've got a cover out in the shop, but too lazy to go look. IIRC, it's got enough meat so's you could cut it flush then tap the remaining hole and not even need that piece.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

I did just that myself. I cut the sender boss off and then sanded it smooth. I purchased the Katech adapter and mounted the ls3 intake in reverse. I still didn't have enough clearance so I had the mounting surface milled slightly so the Katech adapter would sit a little bit lower. Cost about $50 to have it milled.

I see Katech sells a new "very expensive" adapter especially for a LS3 intake.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

Sweet, thanks for the pics. I might just have to grind it smooth, tap for a 90 and adapt for the sender. It will probably be 4" long..ha!

Anybody off hand know the thread size on the sender? I'm to do a search...
Old 02-01-2014, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Boom, M16 x 1.5 . Now I just need a 3/8 npt to m16 adapter.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hate to dig up an old thread, but you just milled the OPSU port off yourself KENS and installed the katech adapter? Any alternative options out there to that adapter because katech is RIDICULOUS in price.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by spawne32
hate to dig up an old thread, but you just milled the OPSU port off yourself KENS and installed the katech adapter? Any alternative options out there to that adapter because katech is RIDICULOUS in price.
I cut the port off then carefully sanded it flat. I then marked where I wanted it milled down slightly. I then took it to a machinist. The interference is the worst with a LS3 intake if you are reversing your intake. That is why Katech came out with the second style of fitting. It's twice the price. I actually just bought one a while back. You don't need to grind the bottom of the plastic LS3 intake with the expensive fitting. With the cheaper Katech fitting I still needed to grind a bit of the plastic ribs on the bottom of the intake manifold.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KENS80V
I cut the port off then carefully sanded it flat. I then marked where I wanted it milled down slightly. I then took it to a machinist. The interference is the worst with a LS3 intake if you are reversing your intake. That is why Katech came out with the second style of fitting. It's twice the price. I actually just bought one a while back. You don't need to grind the bottom of the plastic LS3 intake with the expensive fitting. With the cheaper Katech fitting I still needed to grind a bit of the plastic ribs on the bottom of the intake manifold.
This would be going on a LS4 with a LS6 intake manifold conversion and a DoD delete kit from scoggin, which apparently uses the LS3 valley cover. I assume that the OPSU could be milled off and the adapter used but I just couldnt find anyone who had actually done it without buying the katech cover. Do you happen to know what the difference is between the two OPSU ports they offer is? KAT-A6678 and KAT-A4784, is one for the LS2/LS7 valley cover and the other for the LS3?
Old 04-04-2015, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

Are you reversing the intake manifold?

One of the fittings (the cheaper one) is for LS2 or LS7. The more expensive one is for LS3. I've used both with LS3 intake manifolds.

Both of these fittings are primarily for users who reverse the intake manifold.

If you are just looking to use an aftermarket oil pressure sender then there are cheaper options.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Are you reversing the intake manifold?

One of the fittings (the cheaper one) is for LS2 or LS7. The more expensive one is for LS3. I've used both with LS3 intake manifolds.

Both of these fittings are primarily for users who reverse the intake manifold.

If you are just looking to use an aftermarket oil pressure sender then there are cheaper options.
The intake manifold is already reversed on the LS4 unfortunately lol problem is the LS4 manifold is **** and the LS6 conversion is worth about 20hp not discounting the gains from cams etc, so its a worthy conversion to do while the motor is out. The DoD delete kit includes the LS3 valley cover, but they dont modify it to work with other manifolds, so I either need to have it modified, or buy the katech cover. Not entirely sure if i can run the LS2 or LS7 valley covers on the LS4 either, but that would cut down the cost of the OPSU adapter.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

The LS2 valley cover and LS7 valley cover is the same as the LS3 valley cover. You can use the cheaper Katech fitting. The LS6/LS2LS7 intake manifolds have more clearance.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

The LS2 valley cover and LS7 valley cover is the same as the LS3 valley cover. You can use the cheaper Katech fitting. The LS6/LS2LS7 intake manifolds have more clearance.
Whats the reason for two different adapter fittings if the valley covers are the same? That's what ive been curious about.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:47 AM
On The Tree

It's not the valley covers. The LS3 intake sits lower where the sender location is.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's not the valley covers. The LS3 intake sits lower where the sender location is.
I see, so the OPSU adapters are just angled differently?
Old 04-04-2015, 01:12 AM
On The Tree

They are angled the same. One is just made smaller than the other. More intricate machining. Not exactly worth more than twice as much however.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

They are angled the same. One is just made smaller than the other. More intricate machining. Not exactly worth more than twice as much however.
ah gotcha, saves some money then since I can use either one. Now to just source a LS6 intake lol

Quick Reply: DIY reverse intake manifold valley cover???