Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone modify a Kooks TD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 10:38 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Or maybe I'll do Spintech 9000s...

Been looking at a lot of videos of it. Apparently no drone. Very deep at idle. But insane at WOT.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:25 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Scratch that... 9000s would be too much after talking to Spintech. Going to try the 6000s as they are 4x6x12 or the 3000s which are 4x8.5x13 (or very close to the Magnaflow size in this thread). They didn't know if it would drone much in the car, but the muffler is designed to not drone. But you need enough muffler to dampen the sound. So the 6000s fit a little better. And truthfully, I could reuse the Kooks Bullets as resonators off the headers if needed to tone down more. But I do want that banshee wail at WOT and deep rumble at idle... with a mellow cruise. So the 6000s seem like perhaps the ticket? The Magnaflows seem too tame in comparison. But it's hard to tell off videos.

The 6000 Series is available 3" In/Out 304SS.

After my next round of "fixes" to the car, this will be what I do.

Right now, going from a 4000/3.23 setup to 3600/3.73 and installing Dynamat and getting some driveline vibrations fixed. So hopefully all of those things tone down the car some.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribing. Curious to see the results with the spin techs.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
Scratch that... 9000s would be too much after talking to Spintech. Going to try the 6000s as they are 4x6x12 or the 3000s which are 4x8.5x13 (or very close to the Magnaflow size in this thread). They didn't know if it would drone much in the car, but the muffler is designed to not drone. But you need enough muffler to dampen the sound. So the 6000s fit a little better. And truthfully, I could reuse the Kooks Bullets as resonators off the headers if needed to tone down more. But I do want that banshee wail at WOT and deep rumble at idle... with a mellow cruise. So the 6000s seem like perhaps the ticket? The Magnaflows seem too tame in comparison. But it's hard to tell off videos.

The 6000 Series is available 3" In/Out 304SS.

After my next round of "fixes" to the car, this will be what I do.

Right now, going from a 4000/3.23 setup to 3600/3.73 and installing Dynamat and getting some driveline vibrations fixed. So hopefully all of those things tone down the car some.
Now we are talking !
Spintech 6000 were my first choice for the tone I was looking for. After speaking with a handful of GTO guys I had concerns about drone. I heard these on a Vette & fell in love with the high RPM howl. Ultimatly, after the bad experiences with the other trials I chose to go with something that I knew would tone things down. Please post up your results after these are installed.
-Drone
-Overall loudness / drivability as compared to the kooks bullets
-banshee howl !!
Old 04-01-2017, 08:37 PM
Super Hulk Smash

I've been tweaking. I had my torque arm relo crossmember hitting the exhaust as well as the driveshaft safety loop. Got both those off the car and it quieted it down.

Also, found like 4 joints with very slow leaks. Plugging those helped a lot too.

Inside it's not nearly as bad now.

So I may just put some hushmat in the car and leave the exhaust alone. It is much easier to deal with now.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the driveshaft safety loop really a necessity for this exhaust? I have it all, can't figure out why i need it. But i've had to get under there and repair the loop several times due to it somehow hitting stuff.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:19 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Well, the stock brace won't fit. And I don't know if you really need it. It just sort of stiffens the floor pan.

But the DSL is good to have if you plan to do anything with the car at the track. And in general, I just like knowing something is there to catch the driveshaft. But I do have a 3.5" aluminum deal.

I also have a MWC DSL that goes up in the tunnel. Next time I have the car up in the air, I'll replace the BMR unit with the MWC.

But today it wasn't bad on the interstate doing 90mph @ 3100 RPM. It definitely will wear you out at the high RPM though. So I'm thinking the Borla XR-1s are going to go in. They are the only true 304SS mufflers that'll fit. PN 40943. 4.5x7.88x12 Oval. So a little smaller than the Magnaflows in this thread. And probably a little quieter given how tightly they are packed.

I just need to find a shop that can cut and weld 304SS without too many issues.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Some pics of the Magnaflows. Not as pretty as it used to be ... but sounds fantastic.

Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
cino (10-16-2021)
Old 04-21-2017, 03:53 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Did you coat them in something for heat resistance?

Got a video? More videos are always good.

I keep going back and forth with the XR1... since it's 304SS vs the 409 of the Magnaflow.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
Did you coat them in something for heat resistance?

Got a video? More videos are always good.

I keep going back and forth with the XR1... since it's 304SS vs the 409 of the Magnaflow.
That is simply black engine paint. I was concerned that the ovals would be noticable from the outside of the car. The black paint helps them disappear.
The XR1's should fit just as well.
I went with Maganaflow because I've had a mangnaflow on this car for the past 10 years. " the Devil you know OR the Devil you don't know". I knew what to expect & I'm not disappointed. As far as the SS & construction, here again 10 years & no issues. This was not a concern for me.
Lastly, I didn't test the XR1's because ( and I know this is no way to judge an exhaust system).... every YouTube video of XR1's ( on a 3", non cat, headers & cam, dual system) sounded too loud & not as smooth as I expected. While this is no way to judge the outcome I decided to go with what was known instead.
I have to admit I am curious.

I'll get some video clips soon. ( The Warlock is back in the shop chasing other issues )
Old 04-22-2017, 06:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spy2520
Is the driveshaft safety loop really a necessity for this exhaust? I have it all, can't figure out why i need it. But i've had to get under there and repair the loop several times due to it somehow hitting stuff.
I went with MWC version of the DS loop. As mentioned earlier, MWC mounts from the top down. The BMR ( while a well constructed piece) hung just too low for my clearance. I'm shaving pancakes off the ground with my ride height.

Do you need it: I guess the thinking is, if you have the need for a 3" exhaust ... You probably have the power that's associated. At this level it is a valuable safety feature. I saw a DS break loose while a car was on a dyno ..... No joke to the destruction that was caused. If a person was in the middle of that fiasco it would have been "Lights out".
Old 04-22-2017, 12:30 PM
Super Hulk Smash

I have the BMR on the car now. It doesn't provide enough clearance to the exhaust or the ground. I have a MWC unit sitting here I need to install.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So i guess the concensus is that either the magnaflo or the borla xr1 are the quietest. I wish the make a slightly smaller walker quietflow. I tried to fit the smallest one they make and it was the sound i wanted but looked like crap.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:38 PM
Super Hulk Smash

I've never heard an XR1 in person. They quiet down the exhaust. Some say a lot. Some say barely. But it's essentially the same type of muffler as the Magnaflow... a perforated pipe with tightly wound packing around it in either an oval or round case. The XR1 is slightly smaller than the Magnaflow, so may not quiet it down as much. But they do make a 6" round version. The Kooks are 4.5" round so it might fit better... but won't be as quiet as an oval (just because there is less material to absorb sound).
Old 04-23-2017, 09:48 PM
Launching!

I did this about two years ago with Magnaflow clones off ebay. As it was a test I built the whole rear section from scratch. Even did my own tips with marine inserts. The engine is a cammed LS7. I just culd not stand how loud it was. It turned out good!

Name:  IMG_1799_zps869456a0.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  36.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1413_zpsa120128b.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  37.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1521_zpse8091482.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  43.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1409_zpsb8363a1c.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  31.9 KB
Old 04-24-2017, 12:38 AM
Super Hulk Smash

That looks nice. And it looks like you moved them further away from the gas tank. Did the Offset/Center allow you to tuck them better? I assume the pipes exit in the same location but because you reconfigured the pipes going into the mufflers, you were able to tuck them up closer?
Old 04-26-2017, 10:53 PM
Launching!

Did the Offset/Center allow you to tuck them better? I assume the pipes exit in the same location but because you reconfigured the pipes going into the mufflers, you were able to tuck them up closer?
Not really Jake. There is not much room over there. The lower part of the mufflers sticks out a bit. I am guessing that is the reason NitrOmm installed the Magnaflows slanted, but I agree, the sound is much better than than the original Kooks mufflers, especially in a cammed engine running no cats.

I chose the center/offset configuration so that the sound path was not a straight line from inlet to outlet. I think offset/offset would absorb even more sound but that configuration is not offered by magnaflow in 3"

I have a second system in another FBody right now. I am seriously considering modifying the KOOKS mufflers. I want to cut them open on the upper section and add more volume to the external chambers, fill them with stainless steel wool or other sound deadening material. Still not sure if going that route or installing center/offset MAGNAFLOWS like NitrOmm did.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:17 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Ah damn.

I keep going back and forth on the slightly smaller XR1 or something maybe a little crazier than would fit like the Spintech 6000s. But I'm not sure those flow worth a **** or would actually quiet the car down at all.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

(Selfishly) I'm hoping you go with Spintechs as Id like to hear them.
From my understanding they flow well. The founder of the company & inventor of the system was actually a NASA engineer ( or something to that effect) Boyd Butler AKA Dr. Gas. The nautilus / spin factor uses heat to help pull the exhaust through the muffler. The same design allows for sound waves to bounce off each other & cancel each other, so it will supposedly lessen the sound.

I do know they sound fantastic on a GTO or a Vette. I can't speak for our Fbody's.
( like I mentioned earlier) drone may be a factor as well. The positioning at the rear of our vehicles may keep that from happening. I believe, the GTO guys that I spoke with had the mounting under the car and drone was an issue.

Worth a try.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:04 PM
Super Hulk Smash

I think I'm about sold on the Spintechs. I may install them with just some cheapo tips to test them out before hacking up the Kooks system.

I was listening to clips again this morning and have my brother sold on doing the 9000s on his Dodge Ram. I think I may wait and hear that in person though before pulling the trigger. The 9000s are more aggressive, but with cats and manifolds, will be much less insane than the 6000s on my car.

Quick Reply: Anyone modify a Kooks TD?