Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls7 RMS orentation

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ls7 RMS orentation

REPOST: No response in the FI section

I'm needing some advice on installing my rear main seal on my fresh rebuild. Erl dry sleeved Ls7 with procharger @ 10lbs. I've researched and called a few vendors on what orentation is best on these engines with boost and no solid answer. I never had any issues with the old style seal (lip facing block), but they are discontinued. I've ran across several posts of people installing them backwards(new style seal) due to leaking. Need some advice or experience asap, I'm installing the motor friday. Thanks
Old 01-01-2015, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I did mine it said this side out?
Old 01-01-2015, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

Traditionally that's how I've always done them also. I have several LS cars but all NA engines so it's never been a issue. The original seal was much beefier and faced the block so never leaked with 10lbs. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I don't want to do this all over again for a rms leak on the new style seal. I've read several posts with ppl having them leak on ls3/7/9s
Old 01-01-2015, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put it on my ls7 that way but I'm NA as well
Old 01-01-2015, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

I too searched for this answer and could not find much on the subject it seemed most did not even know that both lips on the new seals face towards the flywheel not one in and one out like the old versions.
My opinion is the lip facing forward would seal better with pressure but all the newer cars come with the new version as the new seal has been out for some time now.
Most will say its a matter of good crankcase ventilation atleast i hope so on my TT build or my seal may have issues also!
Old 01-01-2015, 08:12 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by makWS6
REPOST: No response in the FI section

I'm needing some advice on installing my rear main seal on my fresh rebuild. Erl dry sleeved Ls7 with procharger @ 10lbs. I've researched and called a few vendors on what orentation is best on these engines with boost and no solid answer. I never had any issues with the old style seal (lip facing block), but they are discontinued. I've ran across several posts of people installing them backwards(new style seal) due to leaking. Need some advice or experience asap, I'm installing the motor friday. Thanks
10lbs is nothing. Just install the seal like normal. It's worked for me for engines over 20lbs of boost.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

I agree with the proper ventilation being the culprit and shouldn't be an issue with my setup. I just started second guessing myself installing it backwards and of course I don't want to replace it in the car anytime soon lol. Some day I may surpass 10lbs, but that will require a new headunit
Old 01-01-2015, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

LME built my short block and told me to install it with "This side out" normally and not flipped backwards and said it will be fine with boost so that's what i going with but i did ask and research the topic because i dont want to deal with leaks once installed either!
Old 01-02-2015, 12:06 PM
Banned

Smart people on this site! Love it

Quick Reply: Ls7 RMS orentation