Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edelbrock Cross Ram

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 06:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you need to get a better tuner?
Old 11-23-2015, 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I've been speed density, 2-bar and 3-bar for 3+ years now, and our temps can swing more than 30-40 degrees some days, and I have zero issues with my car or the tune.... and I tuned it myself. Car idles at 675, doesn't stall or buck or hunt for idle. Gas mileage is, well, decent if I stay out of boost. I'm not sure who tuned your car, but if you had issues, then that person didn't do a good job.
I do my own tuning. The SD tune was working fine, I ran it for more than a year but it was not perfect enough. I'm very picky. Using the MAF alleviates a number of small issues, especially off-idle and transitions. And now I'll just weather the "find a better tuner, bro" comments. That's fine. I've done an open-loop SD, open-loop MAF and now a hybrid ol/cl MAF. I have long-term data from all the different ways you can use the factory computer, and the MAF clearly gives you better data to control day-to-day variables.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 1970camaroRS
I run an OEM MAF and I can run whatever sized tube I want...
But the MAF itself is still a restriction.

Run a 6" tube into the MAF....and out of it.....and the effective diameter of the inlet is whatever the diameter of the MAF is....

Wow....can't believe this basic physical concept escapes you.......

KW
Old 11-23-2015, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Exactly. You could run a 4" tube to a pair of 3.5" tubes with the MAF in the single 4" tube and you wouldn't cause any restriction for very large amounts of horsepower.
But you would flow more air if you ran two 3.5" tubes versus one 4" tube....

KW
Old 11-23-2015, 04:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by KW Baraka
But the MAF itself is still a restriction.

Run a 6" tube into the MAF....and out of it.....and the effective diameter of the inlet is whatever the diameter of the MAF is....

Wow....can't believe this basic physical concept escapes you.......

KW
You're assuming the MAF is a complete housing with a fixed diameter. The actual sensor itself in many cars can be installed into housings of varying diameters.

Obviously the larger this goes, the more resolution will be lost especially at lower airflows.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:22 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I do my own tuning. The SD tune was working fine, I ran it for more than a year but it was not perfect enough. I'm very picky. Using the MAF alleviates a number of small issues, especially off-idle and transitions. And now I'll just weather the "find a better tuner, bro" comments. That's fine. I've done an open-loop SD, open-loop MAF and now a hybrid ol/cl MAF. I have long-term data from all the different ways you can use the factory computer, and the MAF clearly gives you better data to control day-to-day variables.
That's the problem right there. You need to do a closed loop, speed density tune. Open loop never uses O2 sensors for fueling feebback or fuel trims.

I'm not knocking you, but if you had gone to a closed loop SD setup, the car would have driven perfectly.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
You're assuming the MAF is a complete housing with a fixed diameter. The actual sensor itself in many cars can be installed into housings of varying diameters.

Obviously the larger this goes, the more resolution will be lost especially at lower airflows.
This. However, if you go too large your MAF signal will be so weak it won't be reliable. At that point you are better to go SD.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:30 AM
9 Second Club

And for N/A, you dont even need SD. Many simply run using TPS vs RPM as teh main load parameter, with MAP only providing minor corrections if any at all which pretty much covers barometric adjustments

Most OEM n/a setups that do not use a MAF operate this way.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

You're assuming the MAF is a complete housing with a fixed diameter.......
OK....you got me there. I was going by what came in my SS.

KW
Old 12-01-2015, 09:14 PM
10 Second Club

anyone hear anything new?
Old 12-02-2015, 05:55 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

We probably won't hear anything new till after PRI which is the 10-12 of this month.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Sub'd interested in this one for sure.... Like The Alchemist I hope and really after looking at it don't see why it wont fit a FBody, its not tall at all
Old 12-12-2015, 09:33 AM
Teching In

Anyone at PRI? Any release date updates from Edelbrock?
Old 12-15-2015, 10:11 AM
Staging Lane

PRI did not yield any further information. The guys working the booth were not every helpful either. Currently no plan for a cathederal setup from what they said, Price point around a grand, no solution for running the twin TB's included.

I like this for a friends turbo truck build, but the fact that they have not thought out an entire package is kinda silly. Should come with the harness to run the TB's...
Old 12-15-2015, 10:35 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by breecher_7
PRI did not yield any further information. The guys working the booth were not every helpful either. Currently no plan for a cathederal setup from what they said, Price point around a grand, no solution for running the twin TB's included.

I like this for a friends turbo truck build, but the fact that they have not thought out an entire package is kinda silly. Should come with the harness to run the TB's...
It isnt as simple as just a harness.

From a safety point of view both blades must be fully monitored and independently controlled to ensure any discrepancies force a limp/safety mode.
So it needs a proper controller of some description.

But yes if they're selling the idea, it is stupid not to have a solution for it, or at least suggest where to get one.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:36 PM
Launching!

I talked to a guy at PRI, He wouldn't take off the plenum from the runners to show me how they are made. He stated end of January for shipping these. He said they had loads of dealers ordering them and said the first batch would sell out. He stated $1500 price on them. Comes in silver, red, black plenums. He could not elaborate on the dyno sheet that they advertise (I told him it sucked and didn't tell us any real info).

I did try to get pics of the runner entrance. It appears between the runners there is a square looking cavity- some casting/design piece I could not make out.

I was excited for this, wishing for a $1000 price point. Edelbrock thinks this thing is gold. I feel it will be good, just may heat soak due to the cast alum of the unit.

I think I will wait and see how it works for others first.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:56 PM
9 Second Club

Even at $1500 I wouldnt say it's terribly expensive. There's a lot more work to one than a typical manifold.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:47 PM
10 Second Club

Even at $1500 I wouldnt say it's terribly expensive. There's a lot more work to one than a typical manifold.
It isn't, until you consider the $250 for another throttle body, $550 for the dual throttle body controller, $100ish for the duct work and filter.... At $2,500 you start approaching the price of a sheet metal intake that will beat it....
Old 12-16-2015, 05:02 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Hardcoresoldier
It isn't, until you consider the $250 for another throttle body, $550 for the dual throttle body controller, $100ish for the duct work and filter.... At $2,500 you start approaching the price of a sheet metal intake that will beat it....

Sheet metal will beat it where? Above 5500rpm? Just saying, the intake hasn't even been released yet, so let's see what it does first in the hands of some shops, then we can decide if it's worth it.

Hell, unless they decide to make a cathedral port version, it's useless to me.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:23 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Sheet metal will beat it where? Above 5500rpm? Just saying, the intake hasn't even been released yet, so let's see what it does first in the hands of some shops, then we can decide if it's worth it.

Hell, unless they decide to make a cathedral port version, it's useless to me.
Above 5500...I'd say maybe above 7000rpm, and then some. Below that they'd be worst than most other intakes.

Likewise about the cathedrals, although in my case I dont think it would every physically fit anyway

IMO there's always a lot of talk about how good sheet metal intakes are.....yet rarely any back to back proof where they've been tested.
But they sure look nice.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Cross Ram