Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modifying a Hummer oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifying a Hummer oil pan

I am looking for information on shorting a Hummer pan sump approximately 2 inches. GM part # for this pan is 19212593. The problem is the pan sump is below the cross member and I plan on making it about 1/4 inch above the bottom of the cross member. Is there anything in the sump area that will need to be modified? Engine is a LS3 480 hp. I understand that the interior baffles may/will require shortening and the pan TIG welded back together. Any pictures of one completed will be appreciated and the resultant amount of oil the pan will hold after the mod.
Thanks for the help.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,490 Likes on 930 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Taking off 2 inches out of that pan will greatly reduce the capacity. What chassis is this going into?

Andrew
Old 02-20-2016, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car is a 1997 XK8 and I have the standard GTO pan already modified to go in front of the cross member. But, I am looking at moving the engine rearward. I have purchased the GM pan and will both remove a section from the bottom of the sump and add width to the remaining sump by extending a wall section outward. I am going to mount the new pan to a dummy block and begin measuring next week and will let you know. The total sump area will be close to the same - I think. This whole exercise allows the engine to move back several inches and still allow access to the transmission bolts. Thanks for your reply

Quick Reply: Modifying a Hummer oil pan