Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 identification help!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 identification help!?

Hey everyone im new to the ls swap! Game. I have supposedly a 5.3 out of a 2007 suburban 65k miles . It has the 799 aluminum heads. What im wanting to know is can i find the vin on the pcm? Also what 5.3 do i have? Lh6? Ly5? There are different styles right? Also if i have the AFM should I delete it? All are factors of which motor i have ! Thanks for the help
Attached Thumbnails 5.3 identification help!?-img_0350.jpg   5.3 identification help!?-img_0349.jpg   5.3 identification help!?-img_0363.jpg   5.3 identification help!?-img_0355.jpg   5.3 identification help!?-img_0352.jpg  

Last edited by Dakotaw; 06-25-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Cast iron or aluminum block?
Old 06-25-2017, 05:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Cast iron or aluminum block?

Cast block
Old 06-25-2017, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

You likely have an LY5, unless it is flex-fuel, then it is an LMG. It does have AFM (AKA DOD, or Displacement On Demand), and should not have VVT. It came in in 2010.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:18 PM
Teching In

You likely have an LY5, unless it is flex-fuel, then it is an LMG. It does have AFM (AKA DOD, or Displacement On Demand), and should not have VVT. It came in in 2010.

Okay thanks! So what do i have to look at to determine if it has flex fuel? And as well as afm? And should i definately delete the afm?
Old 06-25-2017, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Once you remove the valley cover you will notice different lifters on the end cyls. of one bank and on the middle cyls. of the other bank. They are the collapsible lifters that keep the valves closed on "economy mode". You will need to delete it if you want to put another cam in it, as very few are made for AFM. It is a special cam.
Look for a sticker under the hood saying which engine you have. If LY5, no flex fuel. LMG, you have it.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Once you remove the valley cover you will notice different lifters on the end cyls. of one bank and on the middle cyls. of the other bank. They are the collapsible lifters that keep the valves closed on "economy mode". You will need to delete it if you want to put another cam in it, as very few are made for AFM. It is a special cam.
Look for a sticker under the hood saying which engine you have. If LY5, no flex fuel. LMG, you have it.

Okay im going to get the afm delete kit. But as in hood? You mean the vehicle hood? I got the motor from a guy . Dont have the hood
Old 06-25-2017, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ooops sorry. Thought it was in a vehicle. If you can find the engine number, there might be a way to reference what it is. I would think a Chevy dealer might help you on that.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Ooops sorry. Thought it was in a vehicle. If you can find the engine number, there might be a way to reference what it is. I would think a Chevy dealer might help you on that.

Okay so I did some research and called a chevy dealer. They said they can't look up anything without the vin. But I was able to do some searching on the forums and found that my engine does have the AFM for sure. But as far as VVT I found that the sensor on the timing cover is a 3 pin wire plug. The VVT has a 5 pin. Is this correct? Also would this mean that I have the Ly5 for sure? Also any advice on a good cam to go with the AFM delete. I want a solid cam . I'm going to run a 4l60e and I have a 8.8 3.73 post rear end. thanks for all your help!!
Old 06-27-2017, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

You likely have AFM only. You mean solid lifters? Unless you are going into serious racing or very intense street use(AKA racing....) you would be better off with a hydraulic lifter cam. Modern hydraulic lifters are good for at least 6000RPM nowadays. The big question here is, exactly what is the intended use for the engine?
Old 06-27-2017, 09:17 PM
Teching In

You likely have AFM only. You mean solid lifters? Unless you are going into serious racing or very intense street use(AKA racing....) you would be better off with a hydraulic lifter cam. Modern hydraulic lifters are good for at least 6000RPM nowadays. The big question here is, exactly what is the intended use for the engine?
Well its just a treet truck thats all no drag or nothing just a hot rod c10 but want a good sounding and some power
Old 06-27-2017, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

The good sound will come from whichever grind you get, not solid lifters (IF that is what you meant). If you want good solid power through the rev range AND just enough lope to let the troops know what's going on, check into a new cam WS6 Store just came out with. It's a new version of the GM Hot Cam but with more lift. Just need some good beehive springs that will handle the added lift. They are a sponsor of this site, and good to work with.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:56 PM
Teching In

The good sound will come from whichever grind you get, not solid lifters (IF that is what you meant). If you want good solid power through the rev range AND just enough lope to let the troops know what's going on, check into a new cam WS6 Store just came out with. It's a new version of the GM Hot Cam but with more lift. Just need some good beehive springs that will handle the added lift. They are a sponsor of this site, and good to work with.

So its the "hot cam" on their sire? Or called somthing else? I see the sey sell the hot cam kit does that come with the beehive springs? Also should i go with a afm delete kit? Or put it togwrher myself? That way i can get the better springs? Also any orher things to upgrade while im in there? Thanks dor all your help just trying to do it right the first time!
Old 06-27-2017, 11:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you call them and tell them what you need, they will put a package together for you with all you need at a very friendly price. Mention the "updated hot cam" and they will know what you mean. It was developed by them. Mention everything you said here, and you will be put on the right track.
You are very welcome! Just glad to help!
Old 07-03-2017, 07:53 PM
Teching In

@Dakotaw I just went through this, with my wife's '07 Suburban, The WS6 Store guys set me up with everything. John is a wealth of Knowledge!
Old 07-03-2017, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bigf
@Dakotaw I just went through this, with my wife's '07 Suburban, The WS6 Store guys set me up with everything. John is a wealth of Knowledge!
Really?! Awesome news! I have to wait until after the holiday tk call them

Quick Reply: 5.3 identification help!?