Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Cover Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 10:24 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Rear Cover Leak

Ok I searched and found several post on this subject but no answer for what I am looking for. I just put a Holley 302-1 oil pan on a 69 Camaro I picked up with a 6.0 in it. The muscle car oil pan was just too low. During the process of installing the oil pan I went ahead and changed rear cover gasket and rear main seal. Well the rear cover leaked right near the barbell which I also changed out while having cover off. I pulled it back off got a new felpro gasket and put silocone only in the bottom corners as instructed and reinstalled. It leaked again same spot but less. My question is can you install the fel pro gasket with silicone on both sides of it also for extra insurance. The 6.0 is iron block out of Escalade.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:49 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,369 Likes on 2,085 Posts

You can silicone it but you shouldn’t have to. I’d say there’s something wrong with either the cover or the block, at that area where it’s leaking. Perhaps someone overtightened the bolts and warped the cover? Are you sure it’s not leaking at the oil pressure sender (common leak point) and running down the rear of the engine?
Old 06-23-2018, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Thanks Che70velle,
I got a new cover on the way and gonna try that. Also gonna check alignment of oil pan with block due to was leaking when I got car so may have never been lined up right.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by badmonza
Thanks Che70velle,
I got a new cover on the way and gonna try that. Also gonna check alignment of oil pan with block due to was leaking when I got car so may have never been lined up right.
SAC city Corvette makes a good alignment tool to make sure the seal is centered and aligned, check out their youtube video..
Old 07-02-2018, 08:35 AM
Teching In

Yes sir I picked up one of those and one of their billet barbells. I think I am going to put the Toyota bond silicone on both sides of gasket this time too. I had replaced the barbell the first time I changed gasket and it leaked through the cover gasket right at that point. Thinking maybe oring was letting oil by. The barbell did pop right out when I tried to remove it where as the original one was very hard to get out. So hopefully the high pressure oil was getting by the oring on it and the new billet one will fix that problem. This oil leak has been really wearing on me. Already installed and pulled flywheel and rear cover 5 times. Gonna use the alignment tool this time for seal also instead of installing the cover with the seal already in it. Figured it would allow me a little more working room to get the cover on and snugged down on top of oil pan. Hoping no leaks this time.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:08 AM
Teching In

I sealed all with Ultra black permatex with gaskets and still lower corner leaked on driver's side. What am I doing wrong or missing. Anyone have this leak that just won't go away?
Old 07-21-2018, 06:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So your installing the cover with the alignment tool, then tightening down cover. Add RTV to both corners, then torquing down oil pan, right?
Are you using the SSC Alignment tool that involves removing crank seal, and goes inside cover, or the one the goes inside the installed seal?
Where exactly is it leaking at?
Old 07-24-2018, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Thanks. I have used both of the tools for the seal installation. I prefer the SSC. Fixing to remove oil pan again and install cover per GM manual then reinstall oil pan. I have only been removing and reinstalling rear cover the last few tries at this. Wish me luck!
Old 07-29-2018, 04:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While you're there, take a real close look at the surfaces. Something seems like it's nicked or scratched. Good luck.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Thanks will do!
Old 08-01-2018, 04:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I have install many front/rear cover/seals and never used one of those tools and never had a leak! One thing on the rear cover is to make sure the oil pan is flush with the back of the block! Also tight the rear oil pan to cover bolts last.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I worked on a truck and had the same kinda oil leak. it was the little cover with two bolts on the driver side rear of the oil pan.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

are you making sure the block and the cover are aligned with each other like the GM tool aligns it ? the sac city ( or alignment tool of your choice ) align tool is great but you still need the cover and block lined up to.....i have the GM tool so i know

the rear of the oil pan must align with the block also ....meaning it cant protrude past the block and interfere with the bellhousing of the tranny
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-critical.html

Last edited by sjsingle1; 08-06-2018 at 02:23 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:57 AM
Teching In

I aligned everything with the tools. I even purchased another 400.00 Holley oil pan and still has leak at drivers side rear corner of pan. Pulled bolt out right above oil filter for main cap and sealed it also. Definitely coming from down low and not up high. Checked little cover on side of pan above oil filter also. Fixing to put transmission back in and sale this thing!

Quick Reply: Rear Cover Leak