Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help 08 c6 ls3 oil smells like gas

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 06:17 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,369 Likes on 2,085 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
You must use all aftermarket stuff. I work on OEM stuff all day, I can only think of one OEM that didn't have clips but it was a direct injected Ford escape with a heavy duty rail and mounts. If you're leaving them off on applications where they could be used, then you must like playing with fire. Pun intended lol.
Never used aftermarket rails. I’ve tried pushing the injectors down into the intake with engine running. They won’t move far enough to dictate using the clips, at least in my experience. Mostly ls3 and ls7 rails, but a couple 5.3 rails/builds also.
I do find that the clips make removing all 8 injectors at once easy however. I’ll prolly blow the injectors off next Drive, now that I’ve typed this...lol!
Old 12-03-2018, 07:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle

Never used aftermarket rails. I’ve tried pushing the injectors down into the intake with engine running. They won’t move far enough to dictate using the clips, at least in my experience. Mostly ls3 and ls7 rails, but a couple 5.3 rails/builds also.
I do find that the clips make removing all 8 injectors at once easy however. I’ll prolly blow the injectors off next Drive, now that I’ve typed this...lol!

Well there's why you've been fine. The OE rail fit and finish is far superior to aftermarket in my experience. The factory rails and stanchions are strong, thick, and fit perfect and allow zero flex. The OE also tend to have a more straight up and down design (rather than a flimsy *** L bracket) on the stanchions so there isn't any way for the rail to flex and move up and down. Aftermarket rails fit the injector good but the stanchions that come with them are junk and everything fits like crap, and flexes a lot. I'm sure there is some setup out there that is good, but the ones I've had my hands on blew *** with the supplied parts.

I actually wouldn't worry much about OE stuff compared to aftermarket. But still, I personally don't take risks on small simple things like the clips, risk vs reward isn't worth it for me. To each their own though and you should be fine.

And lmao about blowing the injectors out next drive, that's usually how it works. I get super nervous saying never such and such, seems like every time you do, whatever it was comes right along to kick you in the dick.

Next time your around a car with aftermarket rails that have the little stamped steel L brackets, pull up and down on the rail, you'll see.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

To me, if the OEM stuff ain't broke, DON'T REPLACE IT! Too much emphasis on looks at the expense of OEM dependability. I even have a tough time with moving coils out of sight. They work best right on the valve cover! Direct line to the plugs.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
To me, if the OEM stuff ain't broke, DON'T REPLACE IT! Too much emphasis on looks at the expense of OEM dependability. I even have a tough time with moving coils out of sight. They work best right on the valve cover! Direct line to the plugs.
Agreed.