Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help 08 c6 ls3 oil smells like gas

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help 08 c6 ls3 oil smells like gas

Hi guys need help been reading for a bit heard it could be a leaking injector or raptured diaphragm but I'm kinda new to the ls motors. Where is the diaphragm located if u guys can find me a pic and how can I check it . Is there a way to test and see if the fuel injectors are bad....car does need to crank like 4 times before it actually fires up oil pressure cold is 40 and when hot gets near the 25. Car has 112000. I have another c6 ls3 feels completely different like it has more power

Thanks guys
Old 11-24-2018, 07:53 AM
Teching In

Bump up
Old 11-24-2018, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What do the plugs look like?
Old 11-24-2018, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 603 Likes on 479 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Injectors could be leaking once you turn it off.. Try a SEARCH on how to check them. Very easy.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Previous owner did a full complete tune up about 8 months ago haven't checked the plugs yet going to do it tmm...and fuel injectors Idk guess I'll check them tmm aswell or look at the pistons from the spark plug hole see if one of the pistons are wet
Old 11-24-2018, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If there’s gas in the oil it means there’s either too much gas getting into one or more cylinders from a leaky injector or it could be the right amount of gas getting in there but not being fully combusted. Are you getting any misfires? Checking each cylinder temp at the exhaust manifold can help reveal a partially dead cylinder. Spark plugs should tell a lot too.

And make sure you don’t run it long on oil that’s thinned out with gasoline!
Old 11-27-2018, 04:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Change the oil ASAP if not right now.

Then run it and see if it's running rich, has a check engine light or a misfire etc
Old 11-30-2018, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Put a fuel gauge on rail turn key to run but don't start and see if the pressure drops quickly. For the best test pull the injector rail off manifold turn key to on a few times and see if any of the injectors are leaking. Put some paper towel under each injector and see which ones get wet. I had 2 that leaked one time and one leaked so bad that cylinder wouldn't fire at idle.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by gagliano7
Put a fuel gauge on rail turn key to run but don't start and see if the pressure drops quickly. For the best test pull the injector rail off manifold turn key to on a few times and see if any of the injectors are leaking. Put some paper towel under each injector and see which ones get wet. I had 2 that leaked one time and one leaked so bad that cylinder wouldn't fire at idle.

Good advice. If you see it dropping pressure fast pull the rail up off the intake and leave everything connected and turn on the key but do not start it or bump the starter, I started a fire one day doing that. So when doing a test like this always have an extinguisher handy.

If it's dropping pressure fast and no injectors are leaking then the fuel pump check valve is bad but that won't affect it running rich or lean it just causes it to be hard to start.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gagliano7
I get the concept of wanting to visually see if the injectors are leaking with the rail pressurized and removed from the intake, but what is preventing the injectors from popping off the rail followed by fuel if the rail isn’t secured?
Old 11-30-2018, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Oem rails have clips that hold the injectors on.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ah yes, thanks. I blanked out on that one. I’ve been staring at aftermarket junk too long. lol
Old 12-02-2018, 03:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Clips on aftermarket ones too, exact same as OE. They all have to have clips even if the rails are bolted down, if there were no clips the pressure would push the injector down and the rail up till they separated, again even if the rails were bolted to the intake.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:39 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,679 Likes on 2,240 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Clips on aftermarket ones too, exact same as OE. They all have to have clips even if the rails are bolted down, if there were no clips the pressure would push the injector down and the rail up till they separated, again even if the rails were bolted to the intake.
I’ve never used injector clips. Ever.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I must admit I failed to reinstall the clips on aftermarket rails (my personal cars). I figured they wouldn’t fit and really aren’t needed. Aftermarket billet rails are so rigid I can’t see it being an issue. Plenty of OEMs never use the clips either.

I guess moral of the story for the OP is to make sure all 8 clips are installed if you pressurize the rail off the intake. I wouldn’t want to be nearby if one (or more) of the injectors got launched off the rail.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Let me back up, most injectors have a slot in them for the retainer clip. Aftermarket rails may or may not have the injector bosses that allow re use of the clip (usually aftermarket rails don't but injectors do). If you have strong enough rails and stanchions it should be fine. But with flimsy stanchions and no clips you're asking for a fire, it's happened to many people. Here's a quick example

https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-mem...fuel-rail.html

I had a buddies car that had FAST rails and a FAST 102 and it left him on the side of the road several times with a major fuel leak because the injectors kept pushing out of the rail. Had to modify the rail mounts (stanchions) and put spacers under the injectors (to keep them pushed up) to correct the issue. Before anyone says they weren't done right, I've installed hundreds of injectors and even had FAST on the phone many times over several months, they were aware of the issue and coming up with a solution. After a lot of research where I found several other people were having the same issue, and talking to FAST, FAST came up with the spacer idea and it does work. But it wouldn't have been needed if I were able to use the clips because the fuel pressure wouldn't have pushed down on the injector/up on the rail and separated them.

If you can use clips and choose not to, that's your car and your money.

If I have the ability to re use a free clip that I already have in my hand and potentially keep my car or a customers car from catching fire bet your *** I'm using them.

Some people will say I've never _______ and always been fine. Well people play russian roulette and walk away too... keep playing it and one day you won't.

If you left them off by mistake I'd make it a priority to get them back on ASAP, they can be installed with everything still on the car, they just snap on.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 12-03-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Che70velle

I’ve never used injector clips. Ever.

You must use all aftermarket stuff. I work on OEM stuff all day, I can only think of one OEM that didn't have clips but it was a direct injected Ford escape with a heavy duty rail and mounts. If you're leaving them off on applications where they could be used, then you must like playing with fire. Pun intended lol.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 12-03-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by s30.hybrid
I must admit I failed to reinstall the clips on aftermarket rails (my personal cars). I figured they wouldn’t fit and really aren’t needed. Aftermarket billet rails are so rigid I can’t see it being an issue. Plenty of OEMs never use the clips either.

I guess moral of the story for the OP is to make sure all 8 clips are installed if you pressurize the rail off the intake. I wouldn’t want to be nearby if one (or more) of the injectors got launched off the rail.

If you have aftermarket rails you likely can't use the clips, I fubared that initial comment I was thinking injectors and typing about rails. The rails are strong but the issue is the flimsy stanchions, that's why people end up upgrading to billet stanchions.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah i agree pooter, I think we’re on the same page. I’m not advocating getting rid of the oem injector clips. It just so happens I’m not running them due to aftermarket rails and figured there are likely others out there in the same boat. Or maybe have clips missing after a shop worked on their car.

More importantly, I just wanted the OP to be aware of the potential problem that could arise if the clips are missing. I realize not everyone on the boards is car savvy. Some people even buy cars that have been modified, so may be unaware of the oem parts missing, etc. But the stakes are high if this easy test is done wrong. Even if done right, and you do find a leaker or 2 you’re going to have some raw fuel coming at you.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by s30.hybrid
Yeah i agree pooter, I think we’re on the same page. I’m not advocating getting rid of the oem injector clips. It just so happens I’m not running them due to aftermarket rails and figured there are likely others out there in the same boat. Or maybe have clips missing after a shop worked on their car.

More importantly, I just wanted the OP to be aware of the potential problem that could arise if the clips are missing. I realize not everyone on the boards is car savvy. Some people even buy cars that have been modified, so may be unaware of the oem parts missing, etc. But the stakes are high if this easy test is done wrong. Even if done right, and you do find a leaker or 2 you’re going to have some raw fuel coming at you.

I hear ya and I agree. I never took your post as advocating getting rid of them btw.