Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serpentine belt rpm limit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019 | 12:42 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

I do away with the tensioners completely. You can do that with a ewp. Size the belt right and roll it on.
Old 02-22-2019 | 01:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I do away with the tensioners completely. You can do that with a ewp. Size the belt right and roll it on.
Less belt less problems yo
Old 02-22-2019 | 01:28 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Yea.....it's hard to believe but you can tell a difference. The engine will rev faster.
Old 02-22-2019 | 04:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Yea.....it's hard to believe but you can tell a difference. The engine will rev faster.
Wouldn't less pulleys, less bends in the belt, less drag. Makes sense. Didn't think it would be noticeable, but tis logical.

Edit: I take that back a little. I bet trying to rip a belt through several bends at 7k rpm or so takes a ton of force. Then add in pulley drag..

I was joking when I said less belt less problems, but now starting to look at it more deeply.

Ah ****, here goes another bunny trail
Old 02-22-2019 | 04:58 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Well... Mechman S-Series Alternator... EWP... and either the turn-one PS pulley or move to a manual rack.
Old 02-22-2019 | 05:27 PM
TECH Veteran

What brand of belt was it that went to **** on you Scott?

Was it a big name brand belt?

I like Gates belts myself or Goodyear Gatorback belts, and I have no experience with them but you may also look at the Fleetrunner belts Gates makes. They are supposed to be heavy duty long life belts, and the original Gates are already excellent.
Old 02-22-2019 | 05:31 PM
Super Hulk Smash

I've had more luck with the Goodyear belts vs Gates as a serpentine belt and that includes the Green (Fleet) Gates belts. But, I may try the HD Supercharger ones (if I can get in the right length and 6-rib).
Old 02-22-2019 | 05:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
I've had more luck with the Goodyear belts vs Gates as a serpentine belt and that includes the Green (Fleet) Gates belts. But, I may try the HD Supercharger ones (if I can get in the right length and 6-rib).
Who makes the HD supercharger belts?
Old 02-22-2019 | 06:45 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Wouldn't less pulleys, less bends in the belt, less drag. Makes sense. Didn't think it would be noticeable, but tis logical.

Edit: I take that back a little. I bet trying to rip a belt through several bends at 7k rpm or so takes a ton of force. Then add in pulley drag..

I was joking when I said less belt less problems, but now starting to look at it more deeply.

Ah ****, here goes another bunny trail
lol...yup

the ewp dummy pulley alone is 3lb. Then you eliminate the idler between the alt/ps and of course the tensioner idler. You loose nearly 3' of belt on top of that. It's a larger change than one initially thinks.
Old 02-22-2019 | 07:42 PM
TECH Veteran

lol...yup

the ewp dummy pulley alone is 3lb. Then you eliminate the idler between the alt/ps and of course the tensioner idler. You loose nearly 3' of belt on top of that. It's a larger change than one initially thinks.
I'm all

I always pictured the accessories as a drag/restriction, to turn them. I didn't so much picture that there's 10 flywheels to turn and the force required to rip the belt through all the bends.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 02-22-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-22-2019 | 07:59 PM
ModSquad
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
What brand of belt was it that went to **** on you Scott?

Was it a big name brand belt?

I like Gates belts myself or Goodyear Gatorback belts, and I have no experience with them but you may also look at the Fleetrunner belts Gates makes. They are supposed to be heavy duty long life belts, and the original Gates are already excellent.
I THINK it was a Bando. It came with the Holley FEAD kit. I’m gonna try a GoodYear Gatorback. I’ve used lots of them in the past without issue, but I’ve never turned this kind of rpm with a serpentine belt. Always used V-belts in our circle track stuff. Wouldn’t be a big deal, but the car is a six-figure build and the belt coming apart made a mess...took out the power steering return line and the a/c wiring harness. Had to put it on a rollback... I spent hours cleaning, and hours more removing black rubber marks on everything under there.
I appreciate the replies fellers, and there is a lot of interesting info here!!

Last edited by Che70velle; 03-05-2019 at 10:08 PM. Reason: I’m retarted...i posted wrong belt maker info. Update is correct
Old 02-25-2019 | 09:33 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Can you even get the Goodyear Gatorback? I went back and looked, and I actually have the Continental Belt on my car now. So I checked wtf--I ordered the Gatorback PN I had before and it came as a Continental branded deal from Amazon. Looked exactly the same.
Old 02-25-2019 | 11:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Che70velle

I THINK it was a Continental. It came with the Holley FEAD kit. I’m gonna try a GoodYear Gatorback. I’ve used lots of them in the past without issue, but I’ve never turned this kind of rpm with a serpentine belt. Always used V-belts in our circle track stuff. Wouldn’t be a big deal, but the car is a six-figure build and the belt coming apart made a mess...took out the power steering return line and the a/c wiring harness. Had to put it on a rollback... I spent hours cleaning, and hours more removing black rubber marks on everything under there.
I appreciate the replies fellers, and there is a lot of interesting info here!!

Just curious in case I needed to be cautious of a brand. Thanks for the info. I can't imagine the irritation of getting a build like that covered in oil and all the marks, I lose my **** if I spill oil on mine and it's nothing like yours.
Old 02-25-2019 | 10:13 PM
ModSquad
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
Can you even get the Goodyear Gatorback? I went back and looked, and I actually have the Continental Belt on my car now. So I checked wtf--I ordered the Gatorback PN I had before and it came as a Continental branded deal from Amazon. Looked exactly the same.
I haven’t even got that far yet...I sure hope so. The Continental belt is made like the Goodyear belt on the backside.

Last edited by Che70velle; 03-05-2019 at 10:18 PM. Reason: I posted incorrect information...
Old 03-02-2019 | 01:23 PM
ModSquad
10 Year Member

Update..so it turns out that Elite by Continental is the former Goodyear Gatorback belt. Transaction was made in January 2015. Yay...
Old 03-03-2019 | 02:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Update..so it turns out that Elite by Continental is the former Goodyear Gatorback belt. Transaction was made in January 2015. Yay...
Ahh, good info thanks.

Part of the issue may have been age. 4 years isn't horribly long, but a 4 year old rubber band being yanked around at 7800 rpm.. And the belt may had been produced well before you got it too.
Old 03-05-2019 | 10:16 PM
ModSquad
10 Year Member

Another update...I’ve found my original belt cardboard wrapper, and the belt was made by Bando, NOT Continental. I’ve updated my post above to reflect that. My sincere apologies for the mis-information regarding the belt company.
Ive done some googling and the Bando belts seem to be the least expensive belt on the market. Use caution guys if your using these belts and spinning high rpm.
Old 03-06-2019 | 08:08 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

I usually just use autozone belts.
Old 03-06-2019 | 04:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Another update...I’ve found my original belt cardboard wrapper, and the belt was made by Bando, NOT Continental. I’ve updated my post above to reflect that. My sincere apologies for the mis-information regarding the belt company.
Ive done some googling and the Bando belts seem to be the least expensive belt on the market. Use caution guys if your using these belts and spinning high rpm.
Yep, bando is a cheapo. I'm familiar with them, not because I use them, but because I've always avoided them.
Old 03-06-2019 | 05:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Yep, bando is a cheapo. I'm familiar with them, not because I use them, but because I've always avoided them.

Quick Reply: Serpentine belt rpm limit?