Notices
Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alternator is not charging when fan is on

Old 05-12-2019, 11:45 PM
Teching In

Default alternator is not charging when fan is on

Hi,

i have an issue with my voltage dropping to 12.8 or even below when my fan is on and it keep killing my battery, the alternator is from 19370821 i think, its wired with one wire from the engine harness, the fan is from ford taurus which pulls 30-40 amp.

this voltage drop causing all kind of issues and its bothering me,

i dont think its the alternator as its not that old barely used less than 1000 mile on it, it been in storage most of it time mostly of because of this issue, could it be the one wire connector or maybe psi thin alternator to starter wire which is what powers the whole car or is the taurus fan draw too much amp for the alternator
Old 05-12-2019, 11:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Alternators have been known go bad ANY TIME from new. Yours is not above suspicion.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:54 AM
Launching!

A bad battery will put a heavy load on a charging system. Don't overlook the basics, like clean/ tight terminals, good grounds, no missing grounds, corrosion etc....
Old 05-16-2019, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Agree on battery health. If it is 5 years old or more, ditch it. If it has went totally dead several times, regardless of age, ditch it.

You can run a modern GM alternator to add a lot of extra oomph. I just did on my 5.3L Colorado, boosted alternator by 100amps production rating just by using a current model one, all direct from GM or Rock Auto, not a black magic shop that says high output. My alternator went from like 140 to 240 amp rating. Same size, same connectors, same everything. Plug and play. Hate to hear you not using the ride because of it. I work for the company that makes the current GM LS mass production ones, so easy for me to know what fits/works. Mine was truck accessory drive, FYI.

Last edited by FormulaBoat; 05-16-2019 at 02:16 PM.

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: