Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX 454 and boost?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by 20SS06
Why not, for instance, lower CR with dish diamond pistons and add meth and upgrade the fuel system? Boost will be around 8 - 10 psi max. Nothing more.
Lower compression and more boost will make more power but it also won't be as responsive. It's a good combination for a drag racing or a max power build but not needed for the street. Just keep boost and tune conservative.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Lower compression and more boost will make more power but it also won't be as responsive. It's a good combination for a drag racing or a max power build but not needed for the street. Just keep boost and tune conservative.
Procharger F1X it is!

so no need to lower CR?

All our races are on the highway from 2nd gear about 4.5k rpm till redline and keep going till I shift to 5th. High speed basically.

What do you think?
Old 05-22-2019, 03:29 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Yup, I think that will work fine and with that low boost IAT will be low as well, probably wont have much of a belt slip issue either. Mine started out as an NA build that went twin turbo, only problem I have is traction! I run direct port meth for the fueling and whatever cylinder cooling I get out of it. E85 would be an option as well, whichever is easiest and available to you.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
Yup, I think that will work fine and with that low boost IAT will be low as well, probably wont have much of a belt slip issue either. Mine started out as an NA build that went twin turbo, only problem I have is traction! I run direct port meth for the fueling and whatever cylinder cooling I get out of it. E85 would be an option as well, whichever is easiest and available to you.
That’s great to hear. My mind is set on that. As for the belt slip, I will do an 8-rib conversion.
How much power do you think I’ll be making around 10psi?
I’m already at around 700 engine hp.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 469 Likes on 302 Posts

Oh...about 1100 flywheel
Old 05-22-2019, 06:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Sell the 454 and pay for an entire turbo setup plus new motor and make 1000whp+
Old 05-22-2019, 07:00 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

That’s great to hear. My mind is set on that. As for the belt slip, I will do an 8-rib conversion.
How much power do you think I’ll be making around 10psi?
I’m already at around 700 engine hp.
700 N/A FWHP isn't gapping any Twin Turbo Mustangs.......like to see that on video......lol
Old 05-22-2019, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 734 Likes on 400 Posts

I have no dog in this fight and am not even sure what defines gapping, but my buddy has 2012 5.0 with full bolt on hellion twin turbo kit. Stock bottom end, auto trans, 10psi, e85, full wieght, etc. No voodoo, runs 9.6s-9.8s consistantly. I can tell ya he swears its supose to run 8s like that cuz others have. Once u make that kinda hp, traction n driver mod are always necessary. Corvettes are freaks of nature, and when dialed in, anything is possible. Who knows
Old 05-23-2019, 08:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by stilealive
700 N/A FWHP isn't gapping any Twin Turbo Mustangs.......like to see that on video......lol
LoL you wish buddy. But that’s the truth. I’m loving how my car is a hater maker even when people haven’t even seen it in person. Think of how much worse you’ll feel when your boosted car gets gapped by an NA monster. No nitrous, no nothing just pure pump gas. Besides, I have some videos but I won’t post them as this is not the point of this thread. My question was simple, since I’m running with and beating boosted cars (twin turbo + bolt ons + meth 5.0 coyote gapped for example ) I think I’m happy with my NA setup. However, can I boost my LSX454 safely at this point?
Old 05-23-2019, 08:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rkupon1
I have no dog in this fight and am not even sure what defines gapping, but my buddy has 2012 5.0 with full bolt on hellion twin turbo kit. Stock bottom end, auto trans, 10psi, e85, full wieght, etc. No voodoo, runs 9.6s-9.8s consistantly. I can tell ya he swears its supose to run 8s like that cuz others have. Once u make that kinda hp, traction n driver mod are always necessary. Corvettes are freaks of nature, and when dialed in, anything is possible. Who knows
Exactly. Thank you.
I never knew this fact until I tried it for myself. People underestimate Corvettes but they are definitely nothing to mess with. Especially on the highways, something happens and they just fly. This is more apparent with C6 Z06’s I find. It just wants to haul *** at high speeds. It’s a nightmare. A beautiful one at that. If you only know what I do to C7 Z06’s with my current setup LoL. They ruined vettes. The last real and the meanest vette was the C6 and it’s all downhill from there.
I guess my piston, stroke, heads, valvetrain, cam, intake, and tune were exactly right where I want them to be. Even I was shocked. The look on my boosted friends’ faces was priceless. I’m probably the only NA car running against boosted setups in the country and honestly that IS something to be proud of. All the countless hours of research and hard work did pay off.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:00 AM
10 Second Club

LoL you wish buddy. But that’s the truth. I’m loving how my car is a hater maker even when people haven’t even seen it in person. Think of how much worse you’ll feel when your boosted car gets gapped by an NA monster. No nitrous, no nothing just pure pump gas. Besides, I have some videos but I won’t post them as this is not the point of this thread. My question was simple, since I’m running with and beating boosted cars (twin turbo + bolt ons + meth 5.0 coyote gapped for example ) I think I’m happy with my NA setup. However, can I boost my LSX454 safely at this point?
I guess I don't really find it all that impressive. ~305 c.i. to a 454 c.i. They use a turbo, you use cubes. It doesn't sound like you even want to boost it just so you can make some claim about it being N/A. Either keep it NA or sell the motor and do a setup made for boost.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:11 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Sell the 454 and pay for an entire turbo setup plus new motor and make 1000whp+
A used LSX454 isn't going to pay for another built engine and a turbo setup.

I’m probably the only NA car running against boosted setups in the country and honestly that IS something to be proud of. All the countless hours of research and hard work did pay off.
You certainly aren't the only one, we have a handful of 9 sec NA C6Z's running around here as well. The problem isn't that C6Z's are abnormally fast, its that a lot of boosted cars are heavy and improperly setup. Run up against a similar weight FI car that's setup properly and you gonna get your peepee slapped!
Old 05-23-2019, 09:14 AM
10 Second Club

The hell it won't! 1000whp=gen4 5.3. You'd have 1000-1500 into a gen4 5.3 with new everything (rings, bearings, cam, etc.). Spend $6000 on a custom turbo kit. You should be able to get $7500 for a built 454 MINIMUM.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:49 AM
8 Second Club

The hell it won't! 1000whp=gen4 5.3. You'd have 1000-1500 into a gen4 5.3 with new everything (rings, bearings, cam, etc.). Spend $6000 on a custom turbo kit. You should be able to get $7500 for a built 454 MINIMUM.
Thought you meant an actual nice engine, hence why I said built engine not junkyard engine. I don't see the point in this case though,

For the OP's goals I wouldn't bother though, rebuilding the whole car vs leaving what he has and adding a low boost blower. Bolting on a blower is a much easier option and will give him what he wants. Seen LS7's make north of 800 on low boost so a 454 should be a bit more then that, knocking on 900 maybe with excellent power down low and awesome throttle response that the 5.3 just can't touch.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:10 AM
10 Second Club

Thought you meant an actual nice engine, hence why I said built engine not junkyard engine. I don't see the point in this case though,

For the OP's goals I wouldn't bother though, rebuilding the whole car vs leaving what he has and adding a low boost blower. Bolting on a blower is a much easier option and will give him what he wants. Seen LS7's make north of 800 on low boost so a 454 should be a bit more then that, knocking on 900 maybe with excellent power down low and awesome throttle response that the 5.3 just can't touch.
Cause boost isn't additive and he'll only ever want 8 psi, right? the only difference in what I'm doing is he'll have more head room and have less out of pocket.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:57 AM
Launching!

You certainly aren't the only one, we have a handful of 9 sec NA C6Z's running around here as well. The problem isn't that C6Z's are abnormally fast, its that a lot of boosted cars are heavy and improperly setup. Run up against a similar weight FI car that's setup properly and you gonna get your peepee slapped!
LoL why so serious? Tell me something I don't know. I meant my country the UAE obviously not the US. No one builds maxed out NA setups here, all boosted.
Similar weight? The stang has Kirkey seats (about 11 lbs each), running skinnies in front with racestar drag wheels, and an aluminum driveshaft. I haven't done anything weight wise, completely stock. In fact, I have added weight as I have Dynamat'd the whole trunk and behind my seats plus I weigh 225 lbs. He's a small guy around 160 lbs.

Why do I get the idea that you're under the impression that any boosted car is automatically faster than a NA car? Not everyone wants to build a 1000+ hp boosted car. I told you he is at 10psi pushing 680 - 690 whp. What's that at the crank?

I don't care if I beat someone or someone beat me and you shouldn't either. To me this is all for fun. If someone beat me, I'll cheer for them and congratulate them. I don't know if you would do the same though.

P.S. I like getting my peepee slapped
Old 05-23-2019, 12:08 PM
Launching!

One other thing I'd like to add is that for my previous project, I had a 2011 GMC Sierra RCSB. That was my baby for years. I had it stroked to a forged 383ci that's 6.3L, a single 80mm Borg Warner turbo with the T51R Compressor Mod, Alky Meth, Holley Hi-Ram, Custom Cam, Circle D Triple Disk 3200 Stall, Custom 5 inch exhaust...etc. By the time I was done with the project I was sitting at 800 Wheel HP DAILY USE!
I used to take the car to work and do everything a normal car would allow you to do.
The reason I bought the C6Z is that I wanted to try building an NA setup but I am at the crossroads where going further ahead into the NA world would cost me the same as a whole new boost setup for way less HP.

I will post some videos of the truck in a bit.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:14 PM
8 Second Club

LoL why so serious? Tell me something I don't know. I meant my country the UAE obviously not the US. No one builds maxed out NA setups here, all boosted.
Similar weight? The stang has Kirkey seats (about 11 lbs each), running skinnies in front with racestar drag wheels, and an aluminum driveshaft. I haven't done anything weight wise, completely stock. In fact, I have added weight as I have Dynamat'd the whole trunk and behind my seats plus I weigh 225 lbs. He's a small guy around 160 lbs.

Why do I get the idea that you're under the impression that any boosted car is automatically faster than a NA car? Not everyone wants to build a 1000+ hp boosted car. I told you he is at 10psi pushing 680 - 690 whp. What's that at the crank?

I don't care if I beat someone or someone beat me and you shouldn't either. To me this is all for fun. If someone beat me, I'll cheer for them and congratulate them. I don't know if you would do the same though.

P.S. I like getting my peepee slapped
Had no idea your location, but either way have fun and good luck on your build. I could really care less about who wins a race, especially a street race from a roll. I certainly know what NA cars can do as I know plenty of guys that have bested FI setups with their NA C6Z's.

Cause boost isn't additive and he'll only ever want 8 psi, right? the only difference in what I'm doing is he'll have more head room and have less out of pocket.
Perhaps... I don't think junkyards over there have as many 5.3's laying around as ours do.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Old 05-23-2019, 12:46 PM
10 Second Club

Had no idea your location, but either way have fun and good luck on your build. I could really care less about who wins a race, especially a street race from a roll. I certainly know what NA cars can do as I know plenty of guys that have bested FI setups with their NA C6Z's.

Perhaps... I don't think junkyards over there have as many 5.3's laying around as ours do.
Agree, I didn't know he was way out east until his latest posts.

Quick Reply: LSX 454 and boost?