Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX 454 and boost?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LSX 454 and boost?

Hey guys,

I have a 2008 Corvette Z06 with an LSX 454, 4.185 Bore, 4.125 Stroke, 6.125 rods. I’ve been gapping twin turbo coyotes all day long. Now Im thinking of the next step.

My heads are RHS Pro Elite LS7 heads which I heard were at the middle of the cylinder heads food chain at best. I got a quote for the absolute highest flowing heads for my setup and it’s the same price as a turbo or supercharger kit.
What would you do in my case? Remain NA and max out the setup with the best parts money can buy an NA setup or go boost say at 8 - 10 psi MAX.

I know people will say the bore is too much and that the LSX was never meant for boost. But maybe high boost is the problem?
What if I lower the CR with Diamond Pistons -24 cc dish and add meth and then boost to 8 - 10 psi? Is that an option?

All opinions would be appreciated

Thank you
Old 05-14-2019, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 468 Likes on 302 Posts

The LSX does great with boost. Instead of guessing, you should sonic check the cylinders and see how much material you have to work with.

You're at the point of diminishing returns for high power NA. You already have lots of cubic inches, and very good cylinder heads. The RHS pro elite with the raised runners were some of the best around.

What I do know is they don't sell them anymore due to casting flaws, and I'm not sure if they have a strong enough deck to stand up to high power with some boost. A 454 with 10psi you could easily be 1100+ horsepower.

I guess the question is...how much power do you make now, and where do you want to be?
Old 05-14-2019, 04:07 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,078 Posts

For me personally, it’s fun to gap a guy and see him the next weekend at the hangout. I open my hood and there’s no FI, and the guy(s) that got gaped are turbo or nitrous cars/trucks. Folks start asking lots of questions.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

What compression ratio are you at now? What fuel do you run? Is E85 available? Power level your looking for?
The thing with maxing out a NA setup is that it tends to start to compromise drivability and efficiency where boost can keep them both and still make the power your looking for.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 194 Likes on 119 Posts

Simple....put it on spray
If you can hook it, that is.

An instant extra 150 ft/lbs and 125+ RWHP with no spooling and no additional heavy hardware and belt issues......or potential cooling issues due to airflow management issues.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by fnbadaz06

An instant extra 150 ft/lbs and 125+ RWHP with no spooling and no additional heavy hardware and belt issues......or potential cooling issues due to airflow management issues.
I like how you think!

OP, let me know if you're interested in a system!
Old 05-15-2019, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 251 Likes on 175 Posts

I completely agree. Set it up right from the get go and make a system that is super reliable. You'll be jetting that thing to a 200 shot in no time.... Wild when you want it / n/a monster the rest of the time.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by spanks13
The LSX does great with boost. Instead of guessing, you should sonic check the cylinders and see how much material you have to work with.

You're at the point of diminishing returns for high power NA. You already have lots of cubic inches, and very good cylinder heads. The RHS pro elite with the raised runners were some of the best around.

What I do know is they don't sell them anymore due to casting flaws, and I'm not sure if they have a strong enough deck to stand up to high power with some boost. A 454 with 10psi you could easily be 1100+ horsepower.

I guess the question is...how much power do you make now, and where do you want to be?
You’re probably the first person I’ve seen that actually knows about these heads and with that detail.

I never dyno’d the car. However, for my power goals, I want to be anywhere around 800 - 900 whp SAFELY.

You say the LSX is great for boost. Does that apply to my setup as well? Or do I have to destroke/resleeve?
Old 05-16-2019, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
What compression ratio are you at now? What fuel do you run? Is E85 available? Power level your looking for?
The thing with maxing out a NA setup is that it tends to start to compromise drivability and efficiency where boost can keep them both and still make the power your looking for.
Don’t know the CR. I run 93 octane pump gas.
E85 is available in barrels from Ignite or VP Racing. We don’t have it in gas stations here.
Power wise, I would like to be around the 800 - 900 wheel hp safely if it all possible.
You’re right about the drivability with a highly modified NA setup.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Kjduvall
I completely agree. Set it up right from the get go and make a system that is super reliable. You'll be jetting that thing to a 200 shot in no time.... Wild when you want it / n/a monster the rest of the time.

I was thinking of this as well gentlemen. But for some reason, I never liked the idea of Nitrous. It feels like cheating to me. I want something more permanent. It also is a pain to keep refilling bottles and I believe they do run out fast depending on how much is being sprayed.
If I go down this road with my setup, how much should I be jetting? i was told by the builder that I could jet up to a 150 shot max.
Do you think it’s right given my setup?

Cheers
Old 05-16-2019, 10:26 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Must be the slowest twin turbo coyotes in the country lol

I had an lsx 454, it ran strong but nowhere near what twin turbo setups are running. My twin turbo setup on wastegate makes 200hp more then my lsx. Turbo stangs are running mid 8’s to low 9’s on fairly basic bolton turbo setups. Im sure the z could run mid 9’s but gapping twin turbos all day is a bit strong.

Either way I much prefer turbo over nitrous, turbos dont run out after multiple runs, dont need to wait to heat up to get pressure just right, or have to pay to have them refilled. You will need a large hotside to let that 454 breath may as well get a gt55 right off the bat. Will make good power even on low boost. Do you have the newer part number LSX block or the older one? I agree checking thr cylinder thickness is worth the time or perhaps even looking into someone wanting to trade a smaller displacement block for yours.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:29 AM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Talking

I ran a 200 shot plate kit on my 445 13:8 compression for 8 years before it was starting to get tired and needed a refresh. Came to find out my liners finally gave up the ghost on my darton lined LS7 block. Like Steve at RED said "nothing lasts forever" LOL. On to a DART LS NEXT all aluminum block and Mast 305 6 bolt heads. All for more Juice!!
Old 05-18-2019, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 734 Likes on 400 Posts

^^^thats gunna be a beast, gdamn
Old 05-19-2019, 05:10 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by rkupon1
^^^thats gunna be a beast, gdamn
Boy i'm hoping. Sure wish I could get the new Fast high rise under the hood but I have a lovely F-Body so that's a no go! LOL

Last edited by ramairws6; 05-19-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
Must be the slowest twin turbo coyotes in the country lol

I had an lsx 454, it ran strong but nowhere near what twin turbo setups are running. My twin turbo setup on wastegate makes 200hp more then my lsx. Turbo stangs are running mid 8’s to low 9’s on fairly basic bolton turbo setups. Im sure the z could run mid 9’s but gapping twin turbos all day is a bit strong.

Either way I much prefer turbo over nitrous, turbos dont run out after multiple runs, dont need to wait to heat up to get pressure just right, or have to pay to have them refilled. You will need a large hotside to let that 454 breath may as well get a gt55 right off the bat. Will make good power even on low boost. Do you have the newer part number LSX block or the older one? I agree checking thr cylinder thickness is worth the time or perhaps even looking into someone wanting to trade a smaller displacement block for yours.
No two setups are the same. Your combo was probably not optimal then again comes the driving skills (driver mod??). I'm telling you I am running against really strong cars, even they were shocked to see I am NA. Also, not everyone makes full on drag race builds. Besides, a twin turbo setup does not automatically add 1000+ horsepower. The twin turbo mustang is pushing 680 whp and is an auto and has some weight reduction done as well. I constantly beat him by about a car and a half length and keep gapping him and moving away till he stops. Then there are Nissan GTR Alpha 7's. I beat them too. Also, a bolt ons Hellcat Charger, but this race was the closest of them all. My car's hood was halfway ahead of him. I don't need to prove it to anyone LoL all this happened and I was the driver and the fact still remains that they are all boosted and I am NA running on pump gas.
My question was, what's next?
If I wanted to boost could I boost this? I was thinking of a Procharger @ 10psi maximum. Do I need to lower compression with dish pistons (I do not know current CR)? I take it running meth is a given?
Block went in in 2012 by the previous owner. I don't know if it's the newer or older part number.
And yes I agree with what you said about Nitrous. That's why I don't want to go that route.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,785 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Is this a tall deck or standard deck LSX block? From what I've read the standard LSX block is limited to NA only when going to 454. Is this for a street car or a racing application? If it's an all out race motor then filling the water jackets with HardBlok to strengthen the cylinder walls for power adders is an option.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
Is this a tall deck or standard deck LSX block? From what I've read the standard LSX block is limited to NA only when going to 454. Is this for a street car or a racing application? If it's an all out race motor then filling the water jackets with HardBlok to strengthen the cylinder walls for power adders is an option.
Standard deck. Its for a street car application. But filling the water jackets sounds interesting.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 468 Likes on 302 Posts

People put 7-8 psi on stock LS7's with "paper thin sleeves", cast pistons and Ti rods.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by spanks13
People put 7-8 psi on stock LS7's with "paper thin sleeves", cast pistons and Ti rods.
So it will work. Why do a lot of people say it won’t. I was reading other threads and everyone was negative about the whole idea. Why not, for instance, lower CR with dish diamond pistons and add meth and upgrade the fuel system? Boost will be around 8 - 10 psi max. Nothing more.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:22 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by 20SS06
So it will work. Why do a lot of people say it won’t. I was reading other threads and everyone was negative about the whole idea. Why not, for instance, lower CR with dish diamond pistons and add meth and upgrade the fuel system? Boost will be around 8 - 10 psi max. Nothing more.
I personally would not lower compression to run low boost as its counterproductive. Just add meth and send it, I'm over 11:1 and run more then 10PSI in the putt around car with meth and pump gas.

Quick Reply: LSX 454 and boost?