Notices
Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with LY6 installed in 2000 F-body Cam Sensor Issue

Old 06-01-2019, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with LY6 installed in 2000 F-body Cam Sensor Issue

Bought motor as a short block. Changed the relucter wheel to 24x, opened up piston ring gaps and assembled with additional parts. Installed motor and after various issues finally started it up last weekend.

Has the issue where it is hard to start, backfires on cranking and the tach doesn't work. Seemed very similar to the one where you have to switch the outside wires on the cam sensor extension. I was thinking that was odd because I already had this issue back in 2009 when I installed a LS7 block but I switched them back anyway. It did not help. I am getting the P0342 DTC code as well.

I did a search where people said it could be the connection or loose cam retainer plate bolts.

I just hate to have to take apart the front of the motor.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks
Old 06-01-2019, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That code indicates cam position sensor low voltage. Check the ground for that.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, there is a ground strap on the harness by the alternator that attaches to the engine that I have no place to attach so I didn't. Need to figure out where it is. I figured it might be the engine mount bolt that I may not have used the right bolts in the right places.

That would be awesome if it was that.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:19 PM
9 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bill00Formula View Post
Thanks, there is a ground strap on the harness by the alternator that attaches to the engine that I have no place to attach so I didn't. Need to figure out where it is. I figured it might be the engine mount bolt that I may not have used the right bolts in the right places.

That would be awesome if it was that.
Make sure you check all the grounds on the back side of the head on the drivers side. These loose or not on will cause the same issues.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks everyone. I finally attached the ground. I had to switch the motor mount bolt between the passenger side to the drivers side so that i could thread a nut to the top of the bolt. Not the easiest thing to do. Started it twice since I made the change and both times it started right up.

Ramairws6 - I had attached those grounds when I installed the harness but thanks.

Unfortunately, the tach is still an issue. When I am starting the car there seems to be some movement. Also, my efi Live is picking up the rpm signal.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks everyone. I finally attached the ground. I had to switch the motor mount bolt between the passenger side to the drivers side so that i could thread a nut to the top of the bolt. Not the easiest thing to do. Started it twice since I made the change and both times it started right up.

Ramairws6 - I had attached those grounds when I installed the harness but thanks.

Unfortunately, the tach is still an issue. When I am starting the car there seems to be some movement. Also, my efi Live is picking up the rpm signal.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I am still having the issue. It did seem better.

I am now thinking I purchased the wrong cam sprocket. I bought the 4X type rather than the early LS2 1X type.

So I have ordered a new one.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill00Formula View Post
Well, I am still having the issue. It did seem better.

I am now thinking I purchased the wrong cam sprocket. I bought the 4X type rather than the early LS2 1X type.

So I have ordered a new one.
Yeah, 1X is the one you need. Good catch! Hopefully that should solve the issue.

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: