Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a nother 92 vs 102 mm throttle body dyno test

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
It kind of sounds like this guy had a tune. Maybe it was just dyno pulls though.
What I was getting at though is is there really any “extra air” to tune for with the larger TB? Do you need to add more fuel if you don’t introduced any extra air? That’s kind of where I was going with it.
on a MAF set up and stock ECU, yes. ON a speed density system the tables are based on MAP and RPM. The Holley employs a Wideband o2 which also would add fuel to the base fuel table to correct to the "target AFR" set in the Holley, if in fact there was less or more air coming into the engine at the same MAP and RPM reading. Also on a Speed density system, you can see if an intake is running out of air. You can cyle the key and read the KPa of the manifold without the car running, this will tell you the atmospheric pressure at that time. Durring a run you can datalog and go back and ensure that a WOT, your Map was at or very near that KPa number. If a throttle opening is restrictive, the KPa number will get numerically smaller as RPM's get higher. (lower KPa value = higher vacuum) At WOT there should be no vacuum on a NA motor and measure the atmospheric pressure outside as measure by the MAP sensor
The following users liked this post:
Y2K_Frenzy (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 12:19 PM
Teching In

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
can you fit a truck intake? i always run tbss intakes on cathedral motors and my ls3 has a truck intake on it but it hasnt seen the dyno yet and i dont have any other intakes to test. the ls3 intake was worth way more money to someone else than it ever was to me.
DBW is the only way to fly anymore. id suggest finding a stock gm throttle body to retain dbw.
The car is a 71 Camaro and no hood clearance. I have one of those intakes, but I'm getting tired of swapping them! I'm not a big fan of DBW and don't run them unless I must. I will say the bigger the throttle, the worse they get to tune. Stock ones seem to work decent. I generally use Holley ECU's, and maybe their DBW control isn't that good, or the bigger cam motors just don't like DBW.
Old 05-15-2024, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 535 Likes on 397 Posts

i have a 73 chevelle which is a very similar architecture and truck intakes fit fine under flat hoods, so it might be worth a try. id guess it would be a great intake for road racing/autocross
DBW has been great for me with a haltech nexus. andrew is a serious holley efi user and speaks very highly of its DBW system. with dbw you can map pedal to throttle and do all kinds of creative things. a friend of mine has a ls3 miata with dominator and spent all day on a dyno mapping throttle to rpm to torque then built a fairly elaborate system of advanced tables to make a linear torque response to pedal angle at all rpms. cant do that with a cable.
The following users liked this post:
ks71z28 (05-15-2024)

Quick Reply: a nother 92 vs 102 mm throttle body dyno test