Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 120 RWHP loss

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brad8266
Forget all the stupid calculations, just have your plugs, wires, and coilpacks checked. To check the wires and packs all you really have to to to pull one wire off the plug when the engine is running and hold the end of the wire up to some metal on the motor, you should see the spark arc across the wire and jump to the engine. I would just go ahead and replace the plugs though.

If all the checks ok then do a compression test.
Ya now I know you have lost it.
You want me to pull the coil wire off, while the car is running.
Don't you think that the spark is going to jump to whatever ground it can find?
Including me if I am the least path of resistance.
There must be a safer way to check the coil than this method.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by njc.corp
something is down-120 is a lot to loose with just plugs-
I lost over 100rwhp with 1 plug... but im running a bit more boost then he is.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Banned

Misfires could be a variety of things: plugs, plug wires, bad coil, clogged injector. These things can be checked by the process of elimination. But a cylinder misfiring can cause your O2's to read a lean condition, then adds more fuel to make the other cylinders too rich, losing even more power.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

It is not crazy to pull a plug wire off while the car is running to see it misfire.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ncnumber8
Misfires could be a variety of things: plugs, plug wires, bad coil, clogged injector. These things can be checked by the process of elimination. But a cylinder misfiring can cause your O2's to read a lean condition, then adds more fuel to make the other cylinders too rich, losing even more power.
I had a simular though but mine was that if the cylindar missfired it was not burn the fuel causing a rich mixure at the O2. then the O2 would compinsate by leaning it out. but wouldn't this cause the light to come on at the dash?
not sure just a thought.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slingshot928
It is not crazy to pull a plug wire off while the car is running to see it misfire.
You can also use a test probe, connected to a ground, and make a small poke through the plug boot to see if the plug is firing or not. If the idle drops and hunts, that plug is firing. If it doesn't change at all, that plug wasn't working in the first place. GL!
Old 10-18-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by streetwarrior
You can also use a test probe, connected to a ground, and make a small poke through the plug boot to see if the plug is firing or not. If the idle drops and hunts, that plug is firing. If it doesn't change at all, that plug wasn't working in the first place. GL!

poking holes in boots = not such a great idea. You could always just go to NAPA or advance auto parts, or autozone or wherever and by a 3 dollar spark tester. It just plugs into the end of your boot like a spark plug and then clips onto some ground. You adjust it for the proper gap you want, and crank the car and voila. If it arcs the gap you have spark so the coil/wire combo is good. If it doesnt, change it with a different wire, if still no spark coil and or coil power/ground is bad. If it has spark and that cylinder is misfiring, you have either a fuel injector issue, or a bad spark plug. very simple, very cheap diagnosis without dumb math calculations or just buying new everything until you've spent $200 and still have a damn misfire.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by delsold
poking holes in boots = not such a great idea. You could always just go to NAPA or advance auto parts, or autozone or wherever and by a 3 dollar spark tester. It just plugs into the end of your boot like a spark plug and then clips onto some ground. You adjust it for the proper gap you want, and crank the car and voila. If it arcs the gap you have spark so the coil/wire combo is good. If it doesnt, change it with a different wire, if still no spark coil and or coil power/ground is bad. If it has spark and that cylinder is misfiring, you have either a fuel injector issue, or a bad spark plug. very simple, very cheap diagnosis without dumb math calculations or just buying new everything until you've spent $200 and still have a damn misfire.
Well So far I like this option the best.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

Ok so I have changed the spark plugs, tested the spark and did a compression check. The spark plugs are gapped at .040 and the compression was 128 - 135 cross all cylinders. I did find a missing vacuum hose but the car still doesn't pull as hard as it used to. What do I check from here?
Thank
Al
Old 10-29-2007, 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

well first off, i don't understand how you have all the stuff done to your car but you don't even know how to check for spark.

but anyways why is your gap so small? on all my supercharged cars I ran ~.053

do you have a boost gauge? are you still getting 10 psi??

how about your meth. is it still spraying? if your getting KR you will loose quite a bit of power. I have had grounds go bad where it says I'm spraying but no fluid is coming out.

also when you pulled the plugs, was #6 damaged at all? was the electrode bent or at a different gap from what you set it?
Old 10-29-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<Off topic>
It's funny, I've seen people pull plug wires off the car while running 100 times, but I'm still too ***** to do it.

Maybe Z Angel or some other car chick should post a pic of herself with an arching wire in her hand with a caption, "Just do it, wussy!"
</off topic>
Old 10-29-2007, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sharpe
<Off topic>
It's funny, I've seen people pull plug wires off the car while running 100 times, but I'm still too ***** to do it.

Maybe Z Angel or some other car chick should post a pic of herself with an arching wire in her hand with a caption, "Just do it, wussy!"
</off topic>
Yes I agree
You are waaaaay off the topic
Old 10-29-2007, 02:55 PM
10 Second Moderator

Originally Posted by STKN1STGEAR
Ok so I have changed the spark plugs, tested the spark and did a compression check. The spark plugs are gapped at .040 and the compression was 128 - 135 cross all cylinders. I did find a missing vacuum hose but the car still doesn't pull as hard as it used to. What do I check from here?
Thank
Al
That .040 gap is too much with a boosted motor. I'd tighten the gap to .025 or at least .030 I think thats your trouble, alot of boost and not enough voltage at the plug results in a spark that is virtually blown out when your boostin on it.

Good luck to ya...
Old 10-29-2007, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Torkman15
That .040 gap is too much with a boosted motor. I'd tighten the gap to .025 or at least .030 I think thats your trouble, alot of boost and not enough voltage at the plug results in a spark that is virtually blown out when your boostin on it.

Good luck to ya...
Thanks for the reply
The thing that I don't under stand is, it worked just fine before. something has changed but I'm not sure what? Just trying to get some insight on what to look at
thx
Al
Old 10-29-2007, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Torkman15

Good luck to ya...
I run 0.35 gap in My plugs & Have no issues @ all with my boosted motor
Old 10-29-2007, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

I also found this
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/443369-what-gap-my-tr55.html
But I'm running 10 PSI boost so I need to go smaller gap.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I agree
You are waaaaay off the topic
As was your post there. As is this post here.

Guess you're just sour since you're a ***** too.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

another method of testing spark is a using a -spark tester-
sold at autozone for less than 5$
connect spark plug wire to spark tester instead of spark plug-
displays a spark arc encapsualted in glass chamber
if no spark then coil is bad
Old 10-29-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a simular though but mine was that if the cylindar missfired it was not burn the fuel causing a rich mixure at the O2. then the O2 would compinsate by leaning it out. but wouldn't this cause the light to come on at the dash?
not sure just a thought.
a o2 sensor does not read fuel. it wiil read the unburnt AIR in the exhaust and correct by trying to add fuel thus making the condition worse. none of that matters anyway cause at WOT it is in open loop not reading the sensors anyway. i would pull the valve covers and check for a broken spring since the ignition and compression are checking out.

Quick Reply: LS2 120 RWHP loss