Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dart 225s on 408 and Vic Jr

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't weighed in a long time but by my calculations I was @ 3490 lbs when I broke into the 10's. The Darts on my car are completely stock except for where I had them milled .020" for a little bump in compression. The ports and chambers are untouched.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:35 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hugger
I haven't weighed in a long time but by my calculations I was @ 3490 lbs when I broke into the 10's. The Darts on my car are completely stock except for where I had them milled .020" for a little bump in compression. The ports and chambers are untouched.
Thanks for the clarification. Your times are very impressive for that raceweight, well done.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:44 PM
10 Second Club

If my L92 set-up ont work out I will most likely switch to the Dart heads.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hugger
Take a look at the attachment I posted below. This is the best real world flow numbers I have seen on these heads. The chambers on the Dart's are "as cast" unless they have changed. I got mine right after they came out. I don't know how much compression you will gain. I can tell you that mine are milled .020" and I am very pleased with them.
Thanks. Are these just cleaned up? not an actuall full port job right? Can you give details to what was done to increase the flow and did you do it? thanks again
Robert
Old 02-22-2008, 09:54 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Robert, here's a really good option for you. If you check on ebay you can find all pro bare castings brand new for $750 + shipping. They are an as cast head like the darts, but have CNCed combustion chambers. He includes guides, but they need to be installed and they need a valve job. You can send them out some place, have them install the guides, and give them a nice job for relatively cheap. That way you'd have a really nice head that would flow more than the darts and cost you less. The All Pros have other really nice advantages like :

-3/4 deck
-Dry deck design
-Reinforced rocker pads
-Raised rocker rails
etc... etc...

Check out their site or give Bob there a call. He's really smart and knows a lot about their heads.

EDIT: Picture from the guys add so you can see what I'm talking about.

I bought a set from the guy and I'm going to send them off to Bob at All Pro and have him work some magic on them. I just have to wait until I get my tax return.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:03 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by HEMIETR
Well...The "vendor" problem is not what I am refering to. Dart assembled heads have had quality issues. Some choose to buy them bare to control the issues. I'm not saying ALL the assembled Darts have problems but many have. FWIW Bret Bauer, Bauer Racing Engines will put out a kick *** Dart head.
+1 on Bret's work. I've seen his work fist hand .. top notch! My engine builder (***** Wiggins, from Wiggins Racing) had him work my Dart 225's over and spec. a cam (408 build) for my car. We should have some chasis dyno numbers by the end of the weekend (barring any issues).

Out of the box, my Dart 225's made 404rwhp/370rwtq (unlocked) w/ the FM13/112LSA, LS6 intake, .040 cometic, PP stock TB, Mac mids w/ cats, 3600SS stall, 3:73, Dana S60, 315 M'T's on 17x11 TT's and ran the times in my sig. FULL weight + ..

I know of a few people around here that are running the (out of the box) Dart 225's on 408's and are running <10.99 1/4, N/A

I have no plans to ditch my Darts
Old 03-28-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
The only problems I know comes from the no-name valves used in Darts. But, that's on the SBCs.
I wouldn't call the Dart valves 'no name', they are manufactured by Basso SA in Argentina. The valves Dart uses in the LS1 head are equivilant to a Manley severe duty.

Here's some info from Basso SA's website that you may find interesting:

"In 2002, it acquired Manley Engine Valves Factory in the United States, which allows the consolidation of its development in the international markets."

Source: http://www.basso.com.ar/historyi.htm

I recently installed a set of 225's, but have no numbers yet. I'm finalizing the fuel system so I can install a mamofied FAST 90/90. If you want a very nice set of heads, contact Bret Bauer for some Dart 225's.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:26 AM
Restricted User

This is a set of Dart 205's with Bret B's 240cc port program. I think I have a flow graph for the 225's somewhere as well.

Last edited by willyfastz; 03-29-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:37 AM
Restricted User

I just installed a new 408ci for a customer (Junior) with Dart 225's the Bret worked for me. We should fire it up today and posibly get some dyno #'s late this afternoon or tomarrow.

I also have a set on the way back from him that were on a 410ci vette. It was making 520rwhp with them pretty much outa the box. We're going to drop a point of compression and with Bret's port work we should still pickup hp and trq.

I'll post the reults of both cars if yall are intressed. Both cars have custom cams from Bret also.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by willyfastz
I just installed a new 408ci for a customer (Junior) with Dart 225's the Bret worked for me. We should fire it up today and posibly get some dyno #'s late this afternoon or tomarrow.

I also have a set on the way back from him that were on a 410ci vette. It was making 520rwhp with them pretty much outa the box. We're going to drop a point of compression and with Bret's port work we should still pickup hp and trq.

I'll post the reults of both cars if yall are intressed. Both cars have custom cams from Bret also.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:06 AM
Restricted User

I totally forgot about the 408 we're waiting on push rods for. It's just what the thread was asking about. It's a 408 with 225 Darts straight out of the box with the Victor Jr intake a in shop elbow and a custome Bret B cam. The #'s may be a little low looking on it due to the Th350 trans and nitrous converter though. But the Et's should be pretty good. I'll post the #'s on this one also when we get the push rods next week.

If anyone needs prices on the Dart heads just pm me.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Default Dart head pic

*****, this is a pic of a hand finished Dart head from Bret.
Attached Thumbnails Dart 225s on 408 and Vic Jr-t4p-dart-intake-v2.jpg  
Old 03-29-2008, 11:29 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brets Bauers Darts are perhaps the BEST stock replacement casting money can buy
They are w/o a doubt money well spent..
Old 03-30-2008, 07:15 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Cascazilla
*****, this is a pic of a hand finished Dart head from Bret.
Looks dang good, I have a set on the way from him now. Hope to start the 408 we just installed sometime today. Not sure if we'll get enough break in on it to get any dyno #'s though.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Let me know your final full cost, in pm if ya like?
Robert

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Robert, here's a really good option for you. If you check on ebay you can find all pro bare castings brand new for $750 + shipping. They are an as cast head like the darts, but have CNCed combustion chambers. He includes guides, but they need to be installed and they need a valve job. You can send them out some place, have them install the guides, and give them a nice job for relatively cheap. That way you'd have a really nice head that would flow more than the darts and cost you less. The All Pros have other really nice advantages like :

-3/4 deck
-Dry deck design
-Reinforced rocker pads
-Raised rocker rails
etc... etc...

Check out their site or give Bob there a call. He's really smart and knows a lot about their heads.

EDIT: Picture from the guys add so you can see what I'm talking about.

I bought a set from the guy and I'm going to send them off to Bob at All Pro and have him work some magic on them. I just have to wait until I get my tax return.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hey buddy how's it going, haven't seen ya around for awhile. Thanks for helping with my tune sometime back. Let us know how things go, very interested. By the way, in my web is a fuel system up grade write-up you may be able to get some insight from.
Robert

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
I wouldn't call the Dart valves 'no name', they are manufactured by Basso SA in Argentina. The valves Dart uses in the LS1 head are equivilant to a Manley severe duty.

Here's some info from Basso SA's website that you may find interesting:

"In 2002, it acquired Manley Engine Valves Factory in the United States, which allows the consolidation of its development in the international markets."

Source: http://www.basso.com.ar/historyi.htm

I recently installed a set of 225's, but have no numbers yet. I'm finalizing the fuel system so I can install a mamofied FAST 90/90. If you want a very nice set of heads, contact Bret Bauer for some Dart 225's.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by willyfastz
I totally forgot about the 408 we're waiting on push rods for. It's just what the thread was asking about. It's a 408 with 225 Darts straight out of the box with the Victor Jr intake a in shop elbow and a custome Bret B cam. The #'s may be a little low looking on it due to the Th350 trans and nitrous converter though. But the Et's should be pretty good. I'll post the #'s on this one also when we get the push rods next week.

If anyone needs prices on the Dart heads just pm me.
Man I'll bet close to 500 either way will be had. Hell, I got 430hp/450tq with bonestock ls6 heads/intake and a baby cam. We will be looking foward to results/numbers, thanks.

Man the work Bret does is absolute art work, very nice. Pm sent.
Robert

Last edited by Robert56; 03-30-2008 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:57 PM
Restricted User

Replying to pm's
Old 03-31-2008, 08:43 PM
Restricted User

Ok I got some dyno #'s today. 482rwhp/435rwtrq

408ci, Dart 225 heads ported by Bret, Custom B-spec cam, Fast 90, ARH headers with cat'ed y pipe to SLP loud mouth cat back, A4 trans with a yank 3600 converter, Dana 60 rear with MT ET drags.
Got a little tuning to go, not sure if the #'s will improve much more though. It's hard to believe how good this engine rev's, it's crisp as heck.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:56 PM
Restricted User

Here's a dyno graph, gotta play with the AF tomarrow and she'll be done.

Quick Reply: Dart 225s on 408 and Vic Jr