Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dart 225s on 408 and Vic Jr

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dart 225s on 408 and Vic Jr

Couldn't find much info on the Dart 225 heads. Seems to be a killer deal price wise, and looks like they will be fine for my sprayed motor. Anyone have insight on these heads? I will be running a Vic Jr with a Dave elbow to start off. Cam to start off with will be current 228/232 578/587 112 108, which was spec'd for stock LS6 heads and intake. Will this work OK for now with the new top end? Could I advance or retard cam for a little bit better results for the time being? Money is a concern right now, so trying to do this as cheaply as possible. Already have the intake, ls2 90mm and elbow, heads are next. Any better heads for the price out there? I can give more specs on the motor if that'll help with input, 11.25:1 comp (will go up with darts), 1 7/8 kooks and 3" all the way and no cats. Oh yea, the motor is a sprayed setup getting a 300 shot in triple stage and intake is being plumbed for Direct port Dry right now. Thanks
Robert
Old 02-12-2008, 10:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have got Dart 225's on my car but our setups/goals couldn't be more different. I bought mine because of the price and have been very pleased with them. They run fine on my lil 346. Mine are milled .020" for a little more compression. For half the price of some other heads on the market I think they are great bargain.

"KP" in the forced induction section runs these heads as well with unbelievable results.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:53 PM
12 Second Club

I have heard that there are quality issues with the out of the box Darts. Many of the head guys buy them bare and do the work themselves. I also heard that with a little work they will out flow the AFR.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by HEMIETR
I have heard that there are quality issues with the out of the box Darts. Many of the head guys buy them bare and do the work themselves. I also heard that with a little work they will out flow the AFR.
I have been really interested in doing something with the dart heads. I would like to see what they do ported by someone who really knows their ****.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by IH8FORD
I have been really interested in doing something with the dart heads. I would like to see what they do ported by someone who really knows their ****.
Yea me too. where's everyone at with the opinions?
Robert
Old 02-16-2008, 07:17 AM
10 Second Club

I remember a lot of the posts from back when the heads were freshly on the market. They were having some problems with the first batch of heads, but I believe that all of that stuff has been straightened out. Some of the problems were the valves and springs if I remember correctly.. For the price you can't really beat them in my opinion. There are quite a few people running them and getting pretty good results. KP has gone 8's with them, but I believe he is gonna use ETPs next if I read that correctly.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:31 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1QuickT-A
I remember a lot of the posts from back when the heads were freshly on the market. They were having some problems with the first batch of heads, but I believe that all of that stuff has been straightened out. Some of the problems were the valves and springs if I remember correctly.
This is what ruined the Dart heads reputation. A certain sponsor grabbed a bunch of Dart's and did a CNC job on them and then reassembled them when they first came out. The problems that were had with this sponsor's heads were attributed to the Dart's which was unfair. I would say that my Dart's were close to the first batch since I waited two months on them to arrive from Summit. I have had zero problems with them and I run a pretty high lift cam.

In a nutshell, these are great heads that got a bad reputation due to some sub-par R&D by a sponsor. It's a shame.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:35 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hugger
This is what ruined the Dart heads reputation. A certain sponsor grabbed a bunch of Dart's and did a CNC job on them and then reassembled them when they first came out. The problems that were had with this sponsor's heads were attributed to the Dart's which was unfair. I would say that my Dart's were close to the first batch since I waited two months on them to arrive from Summit. I have had zero problems with them and I run a pretty high lift cam.

In a nutshell, these are great heads that got a bad reputation due to some sub-par R&D by a sponsor. It's a shame.
The situation was really twisted around in a few of those threads.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Yep - nothing wrong with Dart heads. They don't flow as well as the other heads, but they run the ET and make the power.

Same holds true for the Dart SBC heads.

As far as a certain sponsor - yes, the bad rep came from that ordeal. What happened, I believe, is that when ported and reassembled, the aftermarket valve guides did not seat properly on the reshaped chambered, thus allowing coolant to pass.

Out of the box, there are no problems with Dart heads.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:42 PM
12 Second Club

Well...The "vendor" problem is not what I am refering to. Dart assembled heads have had quality issues. Some choose to buy them bare to control the issues. I'm not saying ALL the assembled Darts have problems but many have. FWIW Bret Bauer, Bauer Racing Engines will put out a kick *** Dart head.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:56 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

The only problems I know comes from the no-name valves used in Darts. But, that's on the SBCs.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:09 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IH8FORD
Read this:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/647910-372-preliminary-results.html
Old 02-18-2008, 10:22 PM
Restricted User

Yeah notice he was banned too..... figure that out and his **** actually runs!
Old 02-18-2008, 10:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
That looks like it will do the job.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Didn't get a chance to read the link yet, so some of these questions may be answered there.

Anyone have flow numbers of the stock heads out of the box?
Are the chambers C/C'ed. as the advertisement states it Summit?
What will the 63cc chambers, compared to my 65cc chambers do to compression (up I know, lol, but how much)?

To the guy above who said these don't perform like the other heads; Well I think that's because you are comparing other 225's that come C/C'ed, like the Trick Flow, whereas the Darts are as cast except for, maybe, some clean up in the chambers.

I really can't find a whole lot of info on these heads, except in the link above, however, based on Dart's reputation over many years, i think we'll pick up a set and save mucho $$ over other similar heads. because I am spraying, I like the bigger exhaust valves, compared to like the Trick flow. Now with that said, if money was no object i would probably get the AFR heads, as they may be the premier spray head?

Robert
Old 02-19-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Any site vendors sell these heads, or have a package deal of some sort?
Robert
Old 02-19-2008, 08:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
Didn't get a chance to read the link yet, so some of these questions may be answered there.

Anyone have flow numbers of the stock heads out of the box?
Are the chambers C/C'ed. as the advertisement states it Summit?
What will the 63cc chambers, compared to my 65cc chambers do to compression (up I know, lol, but how much)?
Take a look at the attachment I posted below. This is the best real world flow numbers I have seen on these heads. The chambers on the Dart's are "as cast" unless they have changed. I got mine right after they came out. I don't know how much compression you will gain. I can tell you that mine are milled .020" and I am very pleased with them.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
dart flow numbers.pdf (81.9 KB, 195 views)
Old 02-19-2008, 09:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hugger
Take a look at the attachment I posted below. This is the best real world flow numbers I have seen on these heads. The chambers on the Dart's are "as cast" unless they have changed. I got mine right after they came out. I don't know how much compression you will gain. I can tell you that mine are milled .020" and I am very pleased with them.
THe times your car runs . Is this on a stock cubic inch bottom end?
Old 02-20-2008, 08:14 AM
10 Second Club

Stock cubes... bottom end never touched
Old 02-20-2008, 10:15 AM
12 Second Club

Hugger, what is your raceweight? Are your Darts stock (out of the box), except for the milling?

Quick Reply: Dart 225s on 408 and Vic Jr