Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

[PRESS RELEASE] Katech Performance Air Attack LS7 SC (Supercharged) Crate engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 06:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, a lot of the cost you are paying for in motors like these is the engineering hours and testing of the materials/parts used to verify power output is well within spec of the motor. You can go to other builders who can put together all of the right parts and have a hell of a motor that will likely last a very long time. However, those builders have NOT done an engineering analysis and analyzed every piece of the motor under controlled tests. These costs are quite expensive.

Also, lets not forget that Katech is a highly respected and one of the foremost authorities in the LSX market. They have sufficient media exposure as well, so they can charge a higher premium based on these factors. If you could sell a product at a higher premium based on your quality and reputation, why wouldn't you do it? After all, you spent all of those hard earned dollars before on quality equipment, the correct staff, and an appropriate test regime.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:58 AM
11 Second Club

hmmm ... new SS or that engine ... decisions, decisions

(wanted to add that I'm not being an ***, how would that look under the hood of my '68?)
Old 10-14-2008, 07:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Just for giggles, how much is that supercharger, without the LIM/Intercooler plate? Just the base supercharger.

Reason being is that's the first forward inlet SC I've seen with the pulleys actually attatched to the SC itself and not the adaptor plate. Makes it a viable candidate for some other platforms...
Old 10-14-2008, 08:05 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
I can see you still covering after 91 days, its when something happens after 5months and you have a pile of metal that is 100% useless. Its just nice to have piece of mind for more than 90 days after spending basically $40,000 for just 580 RWHP. But I do understand you cannot be responsible for how people install and tune the crate engines. Cam/port/exhaust/tune LS7's are making more power than 580 RWHP and still covered under warranty at dealerships. At least around here they are.

~725 FWHP = about 580 RWHP through an A4...right? (20% loss)

Nice engine but man you can build two amazing N/A 454's for that price though.

If something happens after 5 months that was a defect on our part there is still a possibility we would cover it. We would handle an issue like that on a case by case basis. If the only reason you would not purchase the engine from us is because you are worried about the engine after 5 months, I don't think you understand our reputation. If you want piece of mind, base it upon our reputation, not a piece of paper.

Cam/port/exhaust/tune LS7s are not making 580rwhp through an automatic. In my opinion I don't think they're making 580rwhp at all. If you don't agree bring one over to our chassis dyno and I'll show you. That is an seperate argument all together. These rwhp numbers I've been seeing on the internet are laughable and ruining everybody's perception.

As far as the warranty, GM put out a bulletin regarding aftermarket tuning. Any time you tune the computer, you void the warranty. If you want to read about it, go here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1981426
GM will not cover any powertrain components if an aftermarket calibration is present in the PCM. GM will also not cover powertrain warranty if the vehicle is equipped with a cam, headers, or other aftermarket components and the service manager or zone rep has reason to believe that the aftermarket modifications contributed to the failure. If a dealer is telling you that they cover modified engines they are either lying to you, misinformed, or fraudulently submitting warranty claims to GM.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:15 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1.8t
Guys, a lot of the cost you are paying for in motors like these is the engineering hours and testing of the materials/parts used to verify power output is well within spec of the motor. You can go to other builders who can put together all of the right parts and have a hell of a motor that will likely last a very long time. However, those builders have NOT done an engineering analysis and analyzed every piece of the motor under controlled tests. These costs are quite expensive.

Also, lets not forget that Katech is a highly respected and one of the foremost authorities in the LSX market. They have sufficient media exposure as well, so they can charge a higher premium based on these factors. If you could sell a product at a higher premium based on your quality and reputation, why wouldn't you do it? After all, you spent all of those hard earned dollars before on quality equipment, the correct staff, and an appropriate test regime.
Thanks for the support.

How do these other builders know they are putting the right parts together? They don't. They are guessing. They don't have the engineering background to test and validate combinations. This is the piece of mind included when you buy a Katech engine.

You're right, we do have higher media exposure, but we don't charge a premium for that. Our advertising budget as a percentage of sales is in line, if not lower than most companies. We just have a great PR company that does good work for us and makes the connection between us and magazine writers.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by fast
hmmm ... new SS or that engine ... decisions, decisions

(wanted to add that I'm not being an ***, how would that look under the hood of my '68?)
It would be a great powerplant for your '68.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:17 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by WarShrike
Just for giggles, how much is that supercharger, without the LIM/Intercooler plate? Just the base supercharger.

Reason being is that's the first forward inlet SC I've seen with the pulleys actually attatched to the SC itself and not the adaptor plate. Makes it a viable candidate for some other platforms...
I don't know about the supercharger itself. You should be able to purchase it separately from Magnuson.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Jason. I looked around Magnuson's website and the closest design is the Mustang and F-150 setup. Not too important. It'll come up on their site in due time.

It's just nice having the superchager pulleys actually attached to the housing, not like the other corvette and GTO SC's were designed.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:55 AM
Staging Lane

Keep in mind that the Dart billet block for $9000 that you mentioned is the one sold directly from Dart. We made 32 design changes from that to make the 500.[/QUOTE]

Jason, is your darton block available seperately?
Old 10-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech
If something happens after 5 months that was a defect on our part there is still a possibility we would cover it. We would handle an issue like that on a case by case basis. If the only reason you would not purchase the engine from us is because you are worried about the engine after 5 months, I don't think you understand our reputation. If you want piece of mind, base it upon our reputation, not a piece of paper.

Cam/port/exhaust/tune LS7s are not making 580rwhp through an automatic. In my opinion I don't think they're making 580rwhp at all. If you don't agree bring one over to our chassis dyno and I'll show you. That is an seperate argument all together. These rwhp numbers I've been seeing on the internet are laughable and ruining everybody's perception.

As far as the warranty, GM put out a bulletin regarding aftermarket tuning. Any time you tune the computer, you void the warranty. If you want to read about it, go here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1981426
GM will not cover any powertrain components if an aftermarket calibration is present in the PCM. GM will also not cover powertrain warranty if the vehicle is equipped with a cam, headers, or other aftermarket components and the service manager or zone rep has reason to believe that the aftermarket modifications contributed to the failure. If a dealer is telling you that they cover modified engines they are either lying to you, misinformed, or fraudulently submitting warranty claims to GM.
Yeah, there is a dealership down here that covers them. Yeah, the LS7's all have M6's, and their are a bunch around the 580 RWHP mark and a little higher.

But...don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a Katech engine in my car, anyone that wouldn't is kind of dumb, you guys are top notch.

Its just a shame that you literally need to be rich to have these types of set-ups from shops like yours, so 99% of us cannot play along. The engine is about $10,000 more than we paid for our cars.

I will be, and probably alot of people here too, will be curious to know how many of these you sell over the next year.

It also kind of sucks that we can't get the 12 mon/12,000 mile warranty, because almost everyone here would want to put it in a late model 1998-2002F-Body or Vette, not an old muscle car, and you won't install it in a late model because of emmissions. If I had an old muscle car I'd rather put a BBC in it for less then half the price that makes 200-300 more HP, with a 12 mon/12,000 mile warranty from a place like Fast Time Motorworks. Old muscle and BBC just go together.

Cheers though
Old 10-15-2008, 02:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an APS STAGE 2 Twin Turbo kit that is made for a 427. I think with race gas this kit is rated at about 1000-1100 hp at the wheels. How much power can this LS7 block take ? Would you recommend the C5R block instead of the LS7 block ?

Does KATECH ever have a huge sale on these engines ???

P.S. You can just gimme one of these engines and I will PLASTER KATECH stickers all over my car!!!

Warren
Old 12-08-2008, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This appears a great engine but the cost is just more than most can spend. Consider that you can get a 750 hp Scott Shafiroff Ultrastreet 588 BBC for around $12.5K. Hell, for an extra $4K you can even get an aluminum block. Granted will take some effort to wedge into a Gen IV but this engine has a much longer warranty and you can use the extra $30K for parts. Something to consider....
Old 12-10-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by COPO9560
This appears a great engine but the cost is just more than most can spend. Consider that you can get a 750 hp Scott Shafiroff Ultrastreet 588 BBC for around $12.5K. Hell, for an extra $4K you can even get an aluminum block. Granted will take some effort to wedge into a Gen IV but this engine has a much longer warranty and you can use the extra $30K for parts. Something to consider....
okay-lets compare a bbc vs a ls based engine-

please-
Old 12-10-2008, 10:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by katech
for immediate release

mccullough public relations

katech performance announces 'air attack' ls7 supercharged engine package

clinton township, mich. - katech performance has announced its "air attack" ls7 sc (supercharged) crate engine is available for owners of hot rods, off-road vehicles and show cars.

The 427 cubic-inch displacement (4.125-inch bore; 4.000-inch stroke) engine produces up to 750 horsepower and 700 ft.-lbs. Of massive stump-pulling, flat-lined torque. Katech lays a solid foundation with callies forged steel crankshaft and connecting rods plus the manufacturer's forged aluminum pistons with dlc (diamond-like carbon) coated pins. They use a stock ls7 block with a billet steel girdle to tie the bottom end together.

"our air attack ls7 sc delivers extreme forced-induction performance for the ls7 engine in off-road and hot-rodding applications," said caleb newman, vice president, director aftermarket operations, katech performance. "because we are producing 50 percent more power - far beyond what the cast production piston was designed for - our katech forged pistons were a must in the air attack ls7 sc to maintain engine life and enable even greater boost levels."

an upgraded camshaft designed for boost actuates the stock ls7 titanium intake valve and sodium-filled exhaust valves. Magnuson handles the compression of the air change with their m122 twin-screw high-helix intercooled supercharger. In addition to the standard features, optional katech valve covers and tvs-based superchargers are also available.

The engine is one of five that make up katech performance's ls7 "arsenal" that includes a "street attack" ls7 7.0l, "sneak attack" ls7 5.7l, "desert attack" ls7 7.0l and "track attack" ls7 7.0l option. Each engine is completely disassembled, blueprinted and enhanced by the same technicians that produce championship winning engines for all katech race programs.

Since 1977, katech has captured more than 50 driver's and manufacturer's championships competing in the world's most prestigious racing leagues, including the scca speed world challenge, american speed association (asa), international motor sports association (imsa), american le mans series (alms) and nascar(r).

For more information or to request a catalog, call 866-katech1 or visit katech performance online at www.katechengines.com.

Katech performance, the aftermarket performance division of katech inc., engineers and manufactures race-proven crate engines and components for ls1/ls6 and ls2/ls7 engines including solid belt tensioners, coil relocation brackets, cylinder heads, dampers, pistons, push rods, throttle bodies and valve covers, among other high-performance products for the street and track.

Katech inc. Was founded on the need to provide responsive service and skills to factory race efforts in all forms of racing, including the scca speed world challenge gt, nascar and the american le mans series. Today, katech is an industrial leader in advanced racing and high-performance engine development, manufacturing, testing and assembly, and offers support services for the professional racer including boring, honing, fabrication, welding and prototype parts development.

Katech performance is located at 24324 sorrentino court, clinton township, mi, 48035. Contact the company by phone at 866-katech1 or visit online at www.katechengines.com.

Katech air attack ls7 sc fast facts:

Application: Hot rods, off-road vehicles, show cars
displacement: 427ci, 7.0l
bore: 4.125
stroke: 4.000
compression ratio: 9.0-10.0:1
fuel: 93 octane
boost: 7-10psi
horsepower: 700-750
torque: 675-700
block: Ls7 with stud girdle and arp studs
heads: Ls7 with arp studs
crank: Callies forged steel
connecting rods: Callies h-beam forged steel
pistons: Katech forged aluminum with dlc coated pins
camshaft: Katech air attack ls7 sc
oiling system: Ls7 dry sump
supercharger: Magnuson m122 twin-screw high-helix, intercooled
throttle body: 105mm cable
optional katech valve covers shown
i live just off jefferson great place!!!!
Old 12-12-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Impressive but for my $40K I'd have to consider another choice. Why not try a 582 low deck BBC. Can get these with around 750 hp for less than $14K complete with dyno tune. More work to put in but a little easier on wallet.

Quick Reply: [PRESS RELEASE] Katech Performance Air Attack LS7 SC (Supercharged) Crate engine